Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZero Stars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zero Stars
    Posted: October 17 2009 at 09:26
While looking at some reviews and ratings this morning I stumbled upon this oddity.  It is apparently a zero star rating, and for the album it is applied to, it is averaged in as a zero star rating (three total ratings: one a four star review by a collaborator, one four star review by a regular member, and then this rating only, averaging out to 3.75).

BACKDOOR00

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Forum Joined date: 6/25/2009 | Posts: 0| Last visit: 6/25/2009 5:50:30 AM EST
Forum's Signature:
1 Ratings/Reviews :  Sort by By ratings | Alphabetically | Chronologically (newest to oldest)

Showing TOP 25 only Full list
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 09:31
On an unrelated note, should Curious Things by Tinyfish be regarded as a studio album?

The total time says 28:49, which is well within EP territory.

Question
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 10:05
In the early days of PA, it was possible to rate albums within a range from 0 to 5 stars, but as far as I know  all the 0 stars ratings were turned into 1 star ratings automatically when the system was changed to "1 to 5". Moreover, these stars are of different size and shape (?!?), and there's no permalink or date. And that rating is surely not older than a year..

Weird thing indeed.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 12:13

Yep, this "ZERO" word is still as a reminder of past here. When you hit 1, or 5 star selector, you get a message and there's text, that you should give 0 and 5 star rating carefully.

I always think again, if my decision is right :-)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 13:02
That person joined a few months ago, so surely this isn't a carryover from the "ancient days."
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 16:49
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

On an unrelated note, should Curious Things by Tinyfish be regarded as a studio album?

Question
I think there are some Italian prog albums that are a bit under 30 minutes, and from other genres there are for example Slayer's Reign In Blood (about 28), The Soviettes' LP II (24) and Sleater-Kinney's self titled debut (22 if I remember correctly). And there's an EP by the doom metal band Reverend Bizarre clocking in at 74 minutes, so I think the LP and EP labels are to be used as the band in question has intended.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 17:04
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Question
I think there are some Italian prog albums that are a bit under 30 minutes, and from other genres there are for example Slayer's Reign In Blood (about 28), The Soviettes' LP II (24) and Sleater-Kinney's self titled debut (22 if I remember correctly). And there's an EP by the doom metal band Reverend Bizarre clocking in at 74 minutes, so I think the LP and EP labels are to be used as the band in question has intended.

Then for our purposes, what is the point in differentiating between EP and LP?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 17:53
There are many old RPI albums that clock in around 30 minutes.  I'm pretty sure they were intended to be considered full albums and that in that time and place it was not really unusual. 

Nowadays of course albums are much longer so 30 seems very unusual.  I'm not sure if the site has an official definition or not--good question. 

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 19:02

Question

That's kind of silly, don't you think?  Bands just using whichever tag they "prefer?"

You can't have a 7,000 word novel- that's a short story.  Likewise, a 100,000 word story cannot be called a short story.

EP and LP are labels that give us some vague idea about how long a record is.  If a band calls a 74 minute recording an "EP," the term "EP" then becomes pointless.

I would expect shenanigans like this from silly RIO/Avant bands trying to be "different," but not from anybody else.  Stern Smile
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 02:38

Question

That's kind of silly, don't you think?  Bands just using whichever tag they "prefer?"

You can't have a 7,000 word novel- that's a short story.  Likewise, a 100,000 word story cannot be called a short story.

EP and LP are labels that give us some vague idea about how long a record is.  If a band calls a 74 minute recording an "EP," the term "EP" then becomes pointless.

I would expect shenanigans like this from silly RIO/Avant bands trying to be "different," but not from anybody else.  Stern Smile
I think it has much to do with the nature of the material included. I'm not sure what was the case with Reverend Bizarre's 74 minute EP (except that it was pretty short by their standards, their last studio album had seven songs filling two cds with about 140 minutes of music), but for example the metal band Swallow the Sun released an hour long EP about a year ago featuring the 30 minute title track and four old tracks from their first demo. Now calling that an LP would be silly, with only one new track, and it doesn't make much of a compilation either I think.

Then for example The Soviettes. If they released a two song single, it would be about four to five minutes max, a four song EP would have been far less than ten, and so their second LP with its 14 songs came to 24 minutes.

I've always been happy with what format the band has told the release to be. I didn't complain when I got 74 minutes of music for the price of an EP Wink I think there's always a clear difference between an EP and LP by the same band which justifies the usage of the different labels.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 03:11

I think it has much to do with the nature of the material included. I'm not sure what was the case with Reverend Bizarre's 74 minute EP (except that it was pretty short by their standards, their last studio album had seven songs filling two cds with about 140 minutes of music), but for example the metal band Swallow the Sun released an hour long EP about a year ago featuring the 30 minute title track and four old tracks from their first demo. Now calling that an LP would be silly, with only one new track, and it doesn't make much of a compilation either I think.

Then for example The Soviettes. If they released a two song single, it would be about four to five minutes max, a four song EP would have been far less than ten, and so their second LP with its 14 songs came to 24 minutes.

I've always been happy with what format the band has told the release to be. I didn't complain when I got 74 minutes of music for the price of an EP Wink I think there's always a clear difference between an EP and LP by the same band which justifies the usage of the different labels.

Dream Theater did the same thing with A Change of Seasons
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 13:12
User backdoor00 was on our site for exactly 8 minutes and posted 1 rating without review. He registered with a disposable email address (the claim is that these disposable email addresses are so you can register for stuff without getting bombarded with spam - but generally they are used for trolling and other nefarious activities).

I seriously believe that this account was specifically set-up to hack the database, but whatever he was attempting failed. I don't think that this was a glitch in our system, but was a deliberate attempt to get through the SQL security, which is why the actual rating never made it into the database entry.

I vote we delete the rating and the account.

ps: McFly - as I have explained before the 1-star & 5-star pop-up is new, the text is a typo by M@X nothing to do with any "old" system - I don't know why I bother some days, mutter mutter mutter.......
What?
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 13:19
a reasonable explanation really Lamp what puzzles me is that an accurate attack should not be made with such a nickname Confused

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 13:22
^ hacker humour.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 13:24