Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Star Trek Series ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: what Star Trek series was the best ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [51.28%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [33.33%]
4 [10.26%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 13:06

I think that original Star Trek simply doesn't work in year 2009. Some old sci-fi movies/TV series does, but this one looks just silly.

I grow old on TNG, so what else should I say.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 13:17
Originally posted by MartyMcFly89 MartyMcFly89 wrote:

I think that original Star Trek simply doesn't work in year 2009. Some old sci-fi movies/TV series does, but this one looks just silly.

I grow old on TNG, so what else should I say.

For the old series there are certainly some cringe worthy episodes where it drifted into more soap opera territory, or are too much '60's dated (the one with the hippies), but there are a few that I still enjoy watching over again despite having seen them ad-nauseum.   I think the occasional episodes where they drifted into comedy, like The Trouble With Tribbles were fun.  I really liked that scene in another one where Scotty drinks an alien who took human form under the table.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 30 2009 at 17:40
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 15:35
I like all of them, from TOS to Enterprise.  All of them have their cringe-worthy episodes, many of the second season episodes of TNG come to mind.  But even with the 2nd season, TNG is still my favorite.  TOS has some serious nostalgia value, plus some very good episodes.  The other three are all good too IMO.  Have all episodes of all series on DVD, except for the animated series, which I have the novelizations of (which are better anyway).  Embarrassed
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 17:39
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I like all of them, from TOS to Enterprise.  All of them have their cringe-worthy episodes, many of the second season episodes of TNG come to mind.  But even with the 2nd season, TNG is still my favorite.  TOS has some serious nostalgia value, plus some very good episodes.  The other three are all good too IMO.  Have all episodes of all series on DVD, except for the animated series, which I have the novelizations of (which are better anyway).  Embarrassed

Yeah, Alan Dean Foster did a great job with the novels.  The cartoons were a little cheesy, but still it did attract some good writers (Foster adapted them to the novels).
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 03:39
I too, liked all the series from TOS to Enterprise and actually found Enterprise to be surprisingly good. My favourite is ST: DS9 - known as "the thinking man's Star Trek". DS9 is probably the "heaviest" out of all the series. For sheer entertainment and having the sexiest crew, TNG wins hands down. 

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 10:08
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

I too, liked all the series from TOS to Enterprise and actually found Enterprise to be surprisingly good. My favourite is ST: DS9 - known as "the thinking man's Star Trek". DS9 is probably the "heaviest" out of all the series. For sheer entertainment and having the sexiest crew, TNG wins hands down. 
voted for DS9 ... being a (bigger) fan of Babylon 5 (and of Dune.. some influence from there too I think) the story-arc of the series was more satisfying in DS9 than in any other ST series. The bad guys were better too. (and from a male perspective the DS9 females were far sexier than the TNG females ... c'mon Jadzier Dax & Kira Nerys vs. Deanna Troy and Beverly Crusher... ). It also had Trials and Tribble-ations - a great Crossover episode.

TOS - still my favourite characters - Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov are the stuff of legends - shame the series dated but ~80 episodes all written before Prog was invented, it hasn't dated that badly considering.

TNG - too many hollow Holo-deck episodes - at one point it felt like a re-make of The Time Tunnel;  too many characters you just want to slap (Wesley, Deanna, Wesley, Riker, Wesley, Keiko, Wesley, Guinan, Wesley, Diana's mother, Wesley, Q, Wesley); too many "but what are you feeling" moments; too many Brent Spinner spin-off characters; too many Q episodes. However, it did have the best ST Captain ever and the masterly idea of creating a race of bad guys based on Edward Scissorhands. Best episode was any with the Borg in.

Voyager just got too messy - I missed the whole of Season 7 through apathy. 7o9 and The Doc were the only saving grace.

Enterprise - good concept, started weak and didn't improve much until Season 3, which I though was pretty good as it had a continuous story-arc that was fairly gripping.

The latest film - brilliant way to revive a tired concept and to put pay to all the trekkies pointing out canonical errors in the ST universe.

Edited by Dean - November 06 2009 at 10:11
What?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 11:06
Bump, thread re-opened in view of renewed discussion here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79565&PN=2
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 18:30
Thanks for reopening! Now I can vote for TOS, of course (first option) Approve
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 19:02
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

this is why people should check out the newly re-tooled episodes of TOS; modern visual effects added very tastefully to enhance certain exteriors and close-ups, they did a great job and I will be buying these, not the original versions .. see them !

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 20:39
THIS!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 20:50
 ^ good pic but Scotty looks like he just realized he's down to his last 3 bottles of Johnny Walker, and what's Anonymous Navagator doing in the shot?  Who is that, DeSalle?  Loser.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 23:52
The original series was a real hoot. "Cap'n, I'm givin' 'er all she's got!" ROFL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12