Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A journey through the Italianprog scene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A journey through the Italianprog scene
    Posted: March 20 2024 at 12:20
FROM LOMBARDIA...

Tangle, from Mapello, in the province of Bergamo...

You can listen to their debut album, Entangled, here:

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 11:09
FROM SICILIA

Moonspeak, from Catania...

More info:

Edited by andrea - March 17 2024 at 11:16
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 12:41
FROM PIEMONTE

Fuori dal Castello, from Vercelli. Paolo Ferrarotti's (from Il Castello di Atlante) solo project 

More info:

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2024 at 06:15
FROM VENETO...

Carraro-Cegalin-Tresca, from Vicenza...

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 10:33
FROM EMILIA...

Self Portrait, from Parma...

You can listen to their debut album here:

More info:
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2024 at 11:06
Hi,

Really nice stuff ... Fabula Nova and Marco Leodori specially stoof out for me.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 12:36
FROM LAZIO...

Cambio della Guardia, from Rome...

You can listen to their debut album here:

More info:

Edited by andrea - January 27 2024 at 05:41
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 23:58
FROM PIEMONTE...

Anonima Sonora, from Turin...

More info:

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2023 at 23:33
FROM LAZIO...

Marco Leodori, from Rome...

More info:

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2023 at 13:14
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

FROM LAZIO...

Fabula Nova, from Rome...

More info:

The cover art looks oddly familiar.

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2023 at 12:35
FROM LAZIO...

Fabula Nova, from Rome...

More info:
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2023 at 00:16
Hi,

AETHER - Aether
Nice stuff and the slightly jazzy thing is well done, and tasty. Ha some wonderful soft touches as well. In general, a very nice album that deserves more than just one piece. My only bitsie is that the pieces are a bit too short for my tastes. I like to se stuff like this fly ... and fly!

SoMad - Story of Marion & Damiel
Nice stuff, lyric based, and it seems to be well thought out and played to the material in question. It has some really pretty bits in it, and though the album is broken up into a lot of small pieces, I imagine that it would be slightly more interesting if it was more continuous, instead of "songs". It feels like a concept piece should and you want to see it flow better than just songs. Nice stuff, I ended up listening to a few more pieces.

VENGHANZA - Motion
A very impressive album that sticks to its themes and ideas in music. It is expressive enough that it allows us  to flow along on our own visual and this stuff has lots of it. An all instrumental album that concentrates on the pieces themselves, and does not spend its time showing off its "solos". The album pieces are worth a couple of extra listens. "Turning Eagerness" stands out as does the piece shown "Into Ourselves". Very nice and worthwhile!!!

NOTE: A couple of these only had a link to Facebook, which is fine, but it takes away the ability to listen to a bit more of the band. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2023 at 12:00
FROM LOMBARDIA...

Moto Perpetuo, from Gallarate...

More info:
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2023 at 07:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I am ashamed to say that other than PFM , I am not familiar with any other prog bands from Italy.

I do love PFM though, and fondly remember buying 'Chocolate Kings' back in the day. Smile

I vaguely remember back in the day the track Celebration being played on radio a bit. I purchased Chocolate Kings probably about 15 years after it's release when it first became available on CD. Did nothing for me tbh. Looking back now with the benefit of hindsight it seems that PFM were becoming more technical at that time and losing some of the 'feel' they had in those classic early releases. It's not a bad album but nothing stands out to me.
Recently I've added a load of Italian releases (modern and old) to my listening rota but there is so much music being put out to just concentrate on one thing so it's a very slow catch up for me!

I was aware of Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, but had never heard any of their albums. I rectified that by downloading the first three albums from Amazon.

I also downloaded the Le Orme album - Fenora E Senora. All superb albums! Smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 17:25

I am ashamed to say that other than PFM , I am not familiar with any other prog bands from Italy.

I do love PFM though, and fondly remember buying 'Chocolate Kings' back in the day. Smile

I vaguely remember back in the day the track Celebration being played on radio a bit. I purchased Chocolate Kings probably about 15 years after it's release when it first became available on CD. Did nothing for me tbh. Looking back now with the benefit of hindsight it seems that PFM were becoming more technical at that time and losing some of the 'feel' they had in those classic early releases. It's not a bad album but nothing stands out to me.
Recently I've added a load of Italian releases (modern and old) to my listening rota but there is so much music being put out to just concentrate on one thing so it's a very slow catch up for me!
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 11:47
FROM LOMBARDIA...

Spectrvm, from Cantù...

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 12:03
FROM EMILIA...

Haiku, jazz-rock from Bologna...

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 00:03
FROM TOSCANA...

Venghanza, from Florence...

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 11:49
FROM VENETO...

Altera Nexa, from Padua...

You can listen to their debut album, No Borders, here:

More info:
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 06:31

Hi,

Sad that you say this ... there is music everywhere in this world, but our ears are tuned out because we have our three (or five!) favorites and we spend a lot of our time posting gibberish about our favorites, and (sadly) not listening to anything else.

It's almost like saying that you can not hear anything else, because it will CHANGE your "favorite" reasons and ideas and scramble your ideas about them ... so what? Your brain is meant to change and experience more anyway, isn't it?

While I might say that the PFM of today is nowhere near the opening days PFM, and the same for Banco and even Le Orme to an extent, it doesn't mean they are the only ones or that there is no other music out there.

There is great stuff out of Chile, Argentina, South Africa, New Zealand ... you name it ... although I'm not sure, at that point, any "comparison" is worth it ... the more you hear, the less you stick around as a fan for some favorite ... the differences and other interpretations of a lot of things shows you how much more there is, and your favorite squeeze, goes away ... it's the same with your favorite teddy bear. 

Andrea does an excellent job as Damo also does with Japanese music ... the main sad point, is how many of the better known posters in this board actually bother listening to it ... I am not sure, based on their same comments all the time about anything, that they are listening to a lot of this stuff.

I guess the law is my Gawd is right, and who cares about yours? That's more internet dis-information than it is reality, btw!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>