Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A journey through the Italianprog scene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 49>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 05:43
Andrea, loved the article on your blogspot about the Le Orme album `Verite Nascoste'! It's a lovely album, if fairly unimportant I suppose, but I've always found it so pleasant and charming! Really makes me smile if I've had a bad play - which is plenty often at the moment. But thanks so much for the indepth review and opinions!
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 06:45
Thank you all for the kind words. By the way, I started this blog back in 2009 and in 2011 it became the chapter of a book...

The book is available from amazon and other online bookshops. You can download for free a long preview here:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 07:44
Andrea, I noticed that book mentioned on the Blog page, and from what I can tell Greg Walker at Synphonic stocks copies as well? I'm very curious about it, and I think it might be exactly what I could do with at the moment! I'll look into it, thanks!

Looking forward to your next recommendations on here too!
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 14:43
FROM VENETO...

LAMANAIF, a very interesting band from Padova...

You can download for free their first EP “Musica č teatro” from the official website.

More info:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 03:12
Andrea, that Lamanaif band is quite interesting! Although heavier musically, the nice full vocals fit in nicely with other RPI bands. The singer has a really good and varied voice!

They remind me a lot of the French band Nemo, who often have heavy guitars without actually making them sound heavy metal, lots of intense eclectic sections.
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 09:13
FROM PUGLIA...

LENULA, from Brindisi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHsNEn6AKU

They have released a debut album titled Profumi d'epoca. You can listen to it in streaming:
http://www.rockit.it/lenula/album/profumi-depoca/20616
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 04:44
FROM PIEMONTE...

ATHENE NOCTUA, instrumental project from Mondově

More info:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 05:03
Andrea, lovely band!! Lots of energy, very upbeat! Great bass playing, shimmering psychedelic guitar work, glistening keyboards and snappy drumming!

The heavier section in the middle at just after three minutes and ambient section just after starts heading towards Post Rock a little, which is not something I enjoy too much, but everything returns to greatness for the finale.

Nice and melodic, lots of potential!

Wonder if I should buy the EP they've got available on Itunes, it's only a few dollers, and what you've shown here Andrea is very good!

Thanks as always!
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 09:08
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 10:29
Some great finds as usual Andrea.

I would suggest pitching La Rua to prog-folk based on the first album, but the "Downtown" track from the second album is gorgeous blissful art rock....what a beautiful song.

You could try Athene in psych, I've a feeling they would succeed there.

For our part I'm adding Lamanaif to our watch list.  I think they could work in RPI although we will surely need more than 4 songs to properly eval.  When they have a second release we'll take them up. 

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 10:45
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 10:24

FROM TOSCANA...

FINISTER, a young band from Florence
More info:

Edited by andrea - December 24 2012 at 10:26
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 06:48
FROM EMILIA...

MARCHESI SCAMORZA, from Ferrara

More info:

Edited by andrea - December 27 2012 at 06:55
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 22:10
^ I really like this..Clap.  I see they are available on Amazon.  Thanks Andrea
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 08:00
Like this one too. Thumbs Up Thanks Andrea ... and Happy New Year !
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 08:06
I don't mind Marchesi! I was saying to Jim that while the vocals are a little monotonous, and they have definate traces of Neo-prog, there's plenty of positive things to this band, lots of fire in the playing and cool arrangements! Definately one to keep an eye on....and lovely cover artwork seals the deal too.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 15:38
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

For our part I'm adding Lamanaif to our watch list.  I think they could work in RPI although we will surely need more than 4 songs to properly eval.  When they have a second release we'll take them up. 

They have heared you!

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 15:47
^
We'll be eval-ing them for sureSmile

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 10:02
FROM UMBRIA...

FIORDALIGI, solo project by Gianluca Petrocchi from Perugia. You can listen in streaming to his first album, Segni...

More info:

ProgJack View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 09:32
FROM FIRENZE, TOSCANA:

An emerging hard prog band, Le Porte Non Aperte

First album "GOLEM" out now on Ma.Ra.Cash Records
http://www.maracash.com/store.htm

Edited by ProgJack - February 10 2013 at 09:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 49>