Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeith Emerson Hammond Registrations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keith Emerson Hammond Registrations?
    Posted: October 22 2009 at 04:27
Well folks I have the NI B4 virtual hammond, which is an amazing bit of software, capable of emulating pretty much every parameter in a B3/C3

I'm struggling to re-create Keith's hammond sound.  I know, there's more to it than registrations, his custom Goff keyboard has the key-click way up, and he uses a combination of different amps, and a Voce leslie simulator in parallel with a static valve (tube) amp.

But I need to start with the right ballpark registrations.

Any of you fellow prog-heads got any insights into this?
Debut Album FANTASY BRIDGE Available Now on CD

MyWebsite
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 05:03
Start with the 3 low drawbars out full on, plus the deeper percussion setting (I forget the number) on full. See if you like that. If it needs to be a bit brighter try adding a bit of the 4th bar, or a bit of one of the high even number bars. Also try adding on the brighter percussion plus the low one and see if you like that.
Also try starting with the three low bars on, but not all the way out, so the percussion is louder in comparism. I think Emerson's Hammond was modified for louder percussion.
There is a certain metallic percussive sound to Emerson's Hammond that is hard to re-create. I'm sure he had his keyboard modified, they all do.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 13:10
And how much for the high drawbars?
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 13:37
does it come with virtual daggers to stick into it?   i know the Rick Wakeman version comes with a virtual curry LOL

Prog Archives Tour Van
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 17:47
There are already one or two presets in B4 called Keith's something or Emerson's something.

Shouldn't be fun tweaking the parameters and discovering the sound of your own rather than just loading a preset? Where's the innovation spirit?Emoticons

I managed to get some quite convincing sounds with longer-rate percussion in higher (but not too high) register. Also, I'm always adding a bit of a overdrive, but not too much.

Drawbars are never cranked up to the maximum. Or at least not too many of them.  Basically, pulling only a root frequency + a certain amount of 5th will get a nice overdriven sound as in Five Bridges. But it's important to set the parameters of an overdrive/amp correctly. Tweedle around with it! You can't get a bad sound.

Which reminds me, Keith was literally raping his keyboards, but did he ever used Hammond's vibrato?

And not entirely off-topic : if anybody will explain to me (accurately and with precision) how to get the whistling synth sound (From The Beginning) on a (software) Moog Modular, that person will get my eternal gratitude.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 22:06

^^Shouldn't  you get the whistling with just a little tweak of the resonance?  Not saying that's it, but upping the resonance generally creates the whistling overtones.  Sorry, not accurately and with precision, so no gratitude expected or owed, but that's what I'd start playing with.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 22:09
As to original topic, back when I had functioning eyesight...

Emerson's L100:  bottom keyboard, first five drawbars all out full
top keyboard, obviouslyo dependent on the song.
Percussion set to as strong as it gets, third.

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 08:13
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

^^Shouldn't  you get the whistling with just a little tweak of the resonance?  Not saying that's it, but upping the resonance generally creates the whistling overtones.  Sorry, not accurately and with precision, so no gratitude expected or owed, but that's what I'd start playing with.

Most likely not, because high resonance appears later in solo with an LFO assigned to it...this is probably two sine waves octave or two apart, plus something else...Geek
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Most likely not, because high resonance appears later in solo with an LFO assigned to it...this is probably two sine waves octave or two apart, plus something else...Geek
Do we know if the solo was played on a Minimoog, or on the modular?  If the Mini, it should be fairly simple to figure out.  If the modular, good luck.
danova View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 12:44
See if you like that. If it needs to be a bit brighter try adding a bit of the 4th bar, or a bit of one of the high even number bars. Also try adding on the brighter percussion plus the low one and see if you like that.

Edited by danova - November 26 2009 at 10:15
caesar946 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 19:07

Hi there. As far as I'm aware, the FTB synth was played on a Minimoog. If you google "Minimoog patches" and click on "Images" you should be able to get the actual patch chart as endorsed by Keith himself.

HTH

Iain
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 17:59
You're struggling because you're not going to get it exact.  I've yet to hear a digital imitation of an organ that could come close to surviving a side by side comparison to a b3
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 18:01
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Start with the 3 low drawbars out full on, plus the deeper percussion setting (I forget the number) on full. See if you like that. If it needs to be a bit brighter try adding a bit of the 4th bar, or a bit of one of the high even number bars. Also try adding on the brighter percussion plus the low one and see if you like that.
Also try starting with the three low bars on, but not all the way out, so the percussion is louder in comparism. I think Emerson's Hammond was modified for louder percussion.
There is a certain metallic percussive sound to Emerson's Hammond that is hard to re-create. I'm sure he had his keyboard modified, they all do.

The metallic sound is because of the L-100.  It's known for having a much more metallic sound that the b3
 Post Reply Post Reply