Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbyron (for Crossover)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: byron (for Crossover)
    Posted: October 27 2009 at 17:08
This is a nice new bad that would fit Crossover IMO. I have the audio samples ready to be sent to the team but, my question is, is the team up and working? I know Micky is busy and Brian is still dealing with the effects of the flood, so this may not be the best moment for this submission. Anyway, I'm pretty optimistic about this addition and I'm already sketching the biography. Thanks!

Edited by harmonium.ro - October 27 2009 at 17:10
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2009 at 19:34
I suggest you PM Dean.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 07:45
Proper audio sample sent: check! and biography written: check! Smile

byron (with lower case “b”) is a Romanian band formed in spring 2006 by singer and musician Dan “Byron” after the end of his previous experiences with two of the most significant Romanian bands, KUMM (already on PA) and URMA. Although it appeared following Dan Byron’s need for a medium to fully express his artistic ideas, byron involves a cooperative model and highly skilled musicians. Alongside Dan Byron (voice, flute, acoustic guitar) the band consists of 6fingers (keyboards, voice, formerly a member of progressive metal band MAGICA and other related projects), Costin Oprea (electric guitar), Costin Mateşan (drums, also former member of Muse-like band OLIVER) and Vlady Săteanu (bass, replacing former bassists Gyergyay Szabolcs and Jacob Glick).

The music is a balanced crossover between alternative rock, classic rock, progressive rock and blues with hints of pop and metal. The musical influences of the band range from modern King Crimson, early Genesis and Jethro Tull to Radiohead, Peter Gabriel, Jeff Buckley and Noir Desir. The main features are Byron’s intensely expressive voice lines, the lead exchanges between guitar and keys, the omnipresent interplay with a very active and precise rhythm section, flute solos and sometimes orchestral arrangements. The sound is rich and melodic, busy but never “over-crowded”. The song format ranges from short, contagious songs to longer and more meditative compositions. Overall, byron should appeal to fans of bands such as Porcupine Tree, dredg, Phideaux, The Dear Hunter, Lazuli, etc.

The story of the band is a success story. The debut was made in Bucharest in December 2006 and after a year of touring clubs and festivals they released their debut album “Forbidden Drama” in October 2007 under the A&A Records label. The album enjoyed an unexpected success for an underground release and for its abstract themes, dealing with inner peace, alienation, pure emotions and spiritual freedom. The album can now be listened in full on last.fm. By the next year the band had conceived a new project, consisting of an unplugged reworking of their previous material, and was recorded live in a mediaeval fortress. The recording was released on DVD as “Acoustic Drama” in October 2008 with the occasion of the band’s first solo show in a large concert hall. Due to the partnership with Nokia, the audio soundtrack of the DVD can be found online as a free digital download. The release was accompanied by a national tour of the acoustic project. In October 2009, the second byron album “A Kind Of Alchemy” was released with the occasion of a concert set in the largest club in Bucharest and in front of over 1000 fans. The album is again a slightly conceptual work, this time dealing with the aspects of the creative process, the musician as a magician and the place of the artist in society. In the future, the band plans to keep providing one new project each year.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 08:09
Cheers Alex, adding to the list of bands to eval.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 20:53
I was looking for byron's webpage for the first time after it's been under construction and I see that all the three releases (the two albums and the live release) can be fully listened online: http://www.byronmusic.ro

I haven't yet received the new album and I won't listen to it until I get the hard copy, but the first one is a good candidate for PA by it's own merits.

More information about the band is to be found on their MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/byronmusicspace

A picture of the whole band is nowhere to be found so I've requested one from the band.

Edited by harmonium.ro - November 21 2009 at 20:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 18:16
So what is the status of this submission? There were two positive votes from the very beginning, what now?

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2009 at 16:45
I received a proper picture from the band:

Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2009 at 17:31
^ byron now added to Crossover: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5080

...feel free to add the albums Alex
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2009 at 21:17
Thanks! I'm happy Big smile I've added the first album & I'm going to bed. I'll come back to add the second album, the DVD and the audio version of the DVD. And, of course, to write reviews. Can't wait!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 10:56
The discography is done. I want to thank everyone involved in this addition! Star
 Post Reply Post Reply