FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 15:42
Hi,

Too many of the "prog" boards and writings on the net are ... individuals with their own opinions ... and one thing they should do is get closer and hopefully put it all together into a major publication so we could aproach the strength of a Rolling Stone, or Melody Maker ... until then, I think that a lot of the music that we like will be ignored.

It doesn't help that the only thing that we can say about the music is that it does this and that ... like saying that all rap can have is a beat!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 16:44
@those who mentioned Q

I still buy it occasionally but it's not the magazine it was. It celebrates mediocrity and tends to scoff at any mention of "progressive music".
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 06:31
Originally posted by Citizen Erased Citizen Erased wrote:

@those who mentioned Q

I still buy it occasionally but it's not the magazine it was. It celebrates mediocrity and tends to scoff at any mention of "progressive music".
I gave up on Q a few years ago when it started moving more towards mainstream pop and away from rock.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 09:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

@those who mentioned Q

I gave up on Q a few years ago when it started moving more towards mainstream pop and away from rock.

I last bought Q in the early 1990s. They were always very dismissive of anything prog, and regarded most of the 70s as some sort of musical aberration before punk came along. The final straw came when they suggested in all seriousness that 80s Genesis was better than the 70s version.LOL
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 10:25
Yeah, what also irritates me is that Porcupine Tree's last two albums got 3/5 and yet were both described as high quality prog records. If it's high quality, give it flipping 4 or 5.

And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 18:54
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I did not buy the magazine because I could not justify spending $25 on a magazine full of similar content to what I get online when I could spend that $25 on two new prog CDs.

That's also why I stopped buying it. The last time I saw it on the shelf at Barnes & Noble, I noticed their price "sticker" (they one they slap on the plastic over the bar code) and I stumbled away in sheer horror. I'd rather drop five clams on Bass Player or something.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 19:20
Classic Rock and its Prog offshoot are by far my favourite music mag. Unlike a lot of others, they cover ALL kinds of rock, from 70s classics, to prog, to metal. Not just the latest trendy poser bands and emo stuff, like a lot of other mags do. Unfortunately, it seems trendy in the music media to bash prog, and treat punk like the second coming. 

I hate Rolling Stone with a vengeance. It's all mainstream pop these days, and they dismiss anything which is prog (they gave a Rush collection a 2 out of 5 recently, which angered me. Although they did give a 4 star review to the new PT album). 

Classic Rock has turned me on to numerous bands (I never would have discovered Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Transatlantic, or Opeth without them), and I enjoy their articles a lot. The only thing that makes me balk is the price. 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 19:26

Yeah, what also irritates me is that Porcupine Tree's last two albums got 3/5 and yet were both described as high quality prog records. If it's high quality, give it flipping 4 or 5.

That infuriated me as well. According to their ratings system, a 3/5 means 'good in its specific field, but not for everyone'. I think PT are at least as deserving of a bigger audience as, say, their current darlings Muse are. 

The mainstream media just selects a couple of darlings, like Kings of Leon, or Arctic Monkeys, or Green Day, or Muse (although I do quite like the latter); and ignores anything else. In fact, I was really surprised when freaking Rolling 'The Enemy' Stone reviewed the new PT at 4/5!
patthemetaller View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:52
I buy both Classic Rock and Classic Rock presents Prog. Classic Rock presents Prog give me hours of interesting reading even if I can find plenty of info on the www.

If i compare the length of time it takes me to read both magazines, a reckon Fogon the Tyne has a point. Although I never really copped any increase in lists etc I found that I don't spend as much time reading Classic Rock cover to cover, whereas reading ..presents Prog provides hours of interesting reading.
\../
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 21:27
I may have to stop buying both Prog and the regular Classic Rock mag, though! They're very pricey! I may just get the Prog spinoff from now on. 
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 09:59
Being in America, it's completely woth $15 for me...love the articles and the packaging....I've discovered some great bands thanks to this magazine...Nosound, Gazpacho, Mostly Autumn, Long DIstance Calling...
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 20:00
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

@those who mentioned Q

I last bought Q in the early 1990s. They were always very dismissive of anything prog, and regarded most of the 70s as some sort of musical aberration before punk came along. The final straw came when they suggested in all seriousness that 80s Genesis was better than the 70s version.LOL

Yeah. Most of the music press, except Classic Rock, pretend that nothing existed before the All Holy Sid Vicious and his cronies came along. Dead 
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 08:38
As for other mags, I like to read Paste, Mojo, Under The Radar...
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 09:56
The Wire from the UK occasionally has articles on more avant garde prog bands such as Nue and Amon Duul II. They recently had a feature on King Crimson which was suprisingly well done. 
Sixes&Sevens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 07:20
I really really like Classic Rock Presents... Prog - although if I'm being BRUTALLY honest, I've been a little bit dissapointed with the cover mount CDs thus far.

Yeah it is pricey, but it's also quite a big magazine - loads of pages and there's generally quite a lot of reading in it - with some great coverage of a smattering of unsigned / upcoming acts as well, which is nice.

Good stuff I say!

A Torn Mind | Scottish Progressive Rock Band
www.atornmind.com
www.myspace.com/atornmindband
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 07:37
Originally posted by Sixes&Sevens Sixes&Sevens wrote:

I really really like Classic Rock Presents... Prog - although if I'm being BRUTALLY honest, I've been a little bit dissapointed with the cover mount CDs thus far.

yeah... it's like they've chosen every sh*tty English prog band and female fronted 'prog' band and tossed them on the CD.  Haven't been impressed with the CD's at all. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sixes&Sevens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 18:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah... it's like they've chosen every sh*tty English prog band and female fronted 'prog' band and tossed them on the CD.  Haven't been impressed with the CD's at all.

I'm not sure which issue it was, but there was one track that I felt was really quite out of place. I listened on for a bit, trying to keep an open mind, but a still a little intrigued as to what constituted its inclusion. There wasn't really anything I felt made the music "progressive".

...other than a keyboard solo. And I thought:

Ah. Well... nothing like pandering to old stereotypes now, is there! Was he wearing a cape when he tracked that part as well?

I really don't want to sound like I'm relentlessly bashing into the track choices - after all, I'd be lying if I said that I ALWAYS loved every track that's included on, say, Rock Sound's covermounts... which just isn't true!

I guess it's still early days though isn't it. There's a lot of choice too - just look at all the sub-genres listed on the PA homepage!!!

Other than that - I'm a big fan, I've read about some cool new bands and I'm really glad there's a dedicated rag to cover this expansive genre!
A Torn Mind | Scottish Progressive Rock Band
www.atornmind.com
www.myspace.com/atornmindband
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 19:28
yeah...  what ever shots I take are generally at the nature of today's prog which is very rarely progressive.. and even stretching the limits of being 'prog' by genrefication (© Micky 2007)

Agreed on the magazine, it has been nice to read up on new bands... and even better to find all the errors about the old bands. Give them an A for effort at least... they've just covered the corporate flavors of the week too long to know that Richard Sinclair didn't play on every Caravan album. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 19:47
Raff made a point... probably a controversial one.... but one I agree with nonetheless.. but sure others might disagree...

I think part of the problem with the CD's are they are naturally pushing English prog artists... the problem is this isn't the 70's anymore and the English prog scene is vastly inferior as a whole  to contemporary prog scenes in other countries.  It shows to me an attempt to connect with the core audience .. english speakers obviously... but at the same time an ignorance of the core audience.  Most prog fans care about the music... not understanding what is being sung...  and want superior music... and progressive music... and care not one iota if it is in english or not.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 20:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I think part of the problem with the CD's are they are naturally pushing English prog artists... the problem is this isn't the 70's anymore and the English prog scene is vastly inferior as a whole  to contemporary prog scenes in other countries. 
Exactly, the US is where the good music is. ;-)
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>