Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Michael Giles Mad Band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Michael Giles Mad Band
    Posted: October 31 2009 at 12:40
I was reading the latest copy of Modern Drummer, and it had an entire interview with Michael Giles, the original drummer of King Crimson.  Naturally, I read it, considering he's one of my all-time favorite drummers and he hasn't done much in years.  He discussed his new avant-garde project, the Michael Giles Mad Band.

Needless to say, I found his MySpace, and there are a few tracks streaming.  They're incredible.

http://www.myspace.com/madbandmusic

Edited by beaverteeth92 - October 31 2009 at 12:44
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 21:04
I've got to check this out. Thanks for posting it. I left off with his record Progress. A beautiful record. Giles, Muir and Cunningham released a cd called Ghost Dance. Not what you would expect from Giles but interesting nevertheless. Everything he did with Anthony Phillips was outstanding. Nightmare was my favorite. I always visualized him playing the drums at the top of a tower during a storm on this one.
beaverteeth92 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 23:01
It makes me wonder what he's been doing other than a few sessions.  The guy is a drumming genius.

This new project is weird though.  His kit now has tons of found objects, including milk cartons and pots and pans.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 09:41
I know that in the early days while raising 2 daughters, he would take the train into the city for session work. Maybe it fit in nicely to the life of a family man. However, the 21ST Century Schizoid Band position didn't seem to last very long, so maybe he still doesn't prefer the road as he told Fripp in 1969. I believe that the impression he has on his fans in return brings many to a state of confusion due to the lack of activity in session work on a regular basis. He seems to pop in and out of the prog scene every 3 to 4 years. I'm such a Michael Giles nut that I flipped when I saw his name credit for one track only on Penguin Cafe Orchestra's Broadcasting From Home. Some of the greatest drum work from MG was on the audience recording of KC live at the Fillmore East in 69'. Bill Graham supposedly had all performances recorded for Video tape. If someone were to dig that tape out of the vaults and transfer it to disc it would be a gem for Crimheads.   
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 23:03
You don't seem to be getting many responses to this thread. Maybe it's because people think that Michael Giles is really Sebastian Cabot from Family Affair.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 23:57
This is pretty good! Thanks for the heads up!
 Post Reply Post Reply