Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Geese And The Ghost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Geese And The Ghost
    Posted: November 02 2009 at 03:51
Ive been searching for albums that sound like Anthony Phillips The Geese And The Ghost, i think that its the greatest progalbum ever! I already have Genesis albums. If anyone knows something, please help!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 10:13
Do you have most of Anthony Phillips catalog? He often drifts back to the Geese and the Ghost style on his 10 volumes of Private Parts and Pcs. It's quite reminiscent in various sections throughout. But to find a entire album's worth of the Gesse and the Ghost regarding style and content is a great feat. The originality of that title is priceless. Anthony Phillips adapts the melodic side of early King Crimson on many of his recordings. Michael Giles, Mel Collins etc all work with him on various titles. There might be about 4 soft sounding pieces on Voyage Of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett that are in the same vain as TGATG. You might have to search the underground throughly. Maybe some obscure French band or some strange sounding italian folk/prog band would be the answer?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 12:09
Yeah, I was about to say, check out the rest of Anthony's catalog.  Something else that might be of interest to you, Jan Akkerman's Tabernakle.   It depends on what specifically you liked about G & G. 

The quality of the recommendations are dependent on the detail of the request. Big smile

By the way, that remains my first and favorite AP album.  I have quite a few.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 02 2009 at 21:41
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 15:41
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yeah, I was about to say, check out the rest of Anthony's catalog.  Something else that might be of interest to you, Jan Akkerman's Tabernakle.   It depends on what specifically you liked about G & G. 

The quality of the recommendations are dependent on the detail of the request. Big smile

By the way, that remains my first and favorite AP album.  I have quite a few.
Jan Akkerman's Tabemakle? When was this released? I think I'm going to surf the net for this. PA most likely has a review on this?
Jackonthegreen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 17:42
I have steve hacketts soloalbums, at least voyage and spectral mornings. I think theres some similarities in Hands of the priestess from voyage and the virgin and the gypsy from spectral mornings. I also have gryphons albums since i like medieval-sounding prog/folk, their first album is great! I also have some Tull, so its no use reccomending songs from the wood or anything or their late 70s albums, even though theyre also very good. What i like about the geese is mostly the "fantasy" or "olde england" feeling that the music gives me. The henry suite is probably my favorite of the album. I also much enjoyed the lyrics, because they were almost a little fantasyinfluenced, i know many people dont like that about prog, but for me, the best prog has always been the prog that helps me travel to magical fantasy worlds.. im sorry if im a bit childish Embarrassed
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 21:41
I've heard some Gryphon back in the late '70's but never kept up wit them.  Hackett's really good if you like the classical guitar aspect.  By the way my favorite AP album is PP&P 3.  Nice duet acoustical guitar album. 

Toddler, you can find Tabernakle on here if you haven't looked it up already.  It's always impressed me as a homage to medieval style music, but I may be pre dating the sound there.  It still has similarities to the G&G whatever era you'd place those two in.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 03:23
I'm listening to Geese and the Ghost now ... it occurs to me that Amazing Blondel might suit the needs of Jack on the Green. The album I have of theirs (England) is probably the closest thing I have in my collection to the vibe of Geese and the Ghost
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Jackonthegreen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 05:04
Amazing Blondel, of course! I also have england, i have heard some songs from it, theyre pretty good.  I just have to listen to it a bit more then, thanks for the help. Anyone else know anything similar to geese?
 Post Reply Post Reply