Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's New CD Thread 5 - Knifeworld

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rushfan4's New CD Thread 5 - Knifeworld
    Posted: November 02 2009 at 08:29
First off, I want to thank everyone for their patience, because I can only imagine how everyone has been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to see what I would recommend this month. Wink  In continuation of my meager attempt to divert some PA forum discussion time away from Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and the other usual suspects, here is my 5th installment of Rushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread.   This month's album that I think that others would enjoy and like to discuss is Knifeworld's Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat.

Here is a link to their PA page.  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4800 

Here is a link to their MySpace page where you can check out some songs.  http://www.myspace.com/knifeworlduk

Unfortunately, I am not aware of anywhere else where you can listen to streaming tracks from this album.  Maybe those of you who have Spotify or Napster will be able to give them a listen.

At any rate, I really think that this album is one that many of my friends here at PA will really enjoy, and you won't regret checking them out.  If you don't believe me, ask Brian (Slartibartfast) as I have noticed that he has really enjoyed this album as well.

Give them a listen.  See what you think.  And come back to this thread and discuss them.  I am hoping that we have a little success here and maybe we can do it for other lesser known newer releases.  Either rate, let me know what you think.   

And in case you missed the first four installments of the New CD discussion thread please check them out here at thes links:

I should note that for those who frown about these things, I am not a representative of any of these bands.  I do not get paid to endorse them.  All of these albums are albums that I purchased as downloads.  They are all albums that I have really enjoyed and therefore I am trying to bring them to the attention of PA members so that they may enjoy them to.  Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else will like these albums since it is all a matter of taste, but I have a feeling that there are some of you out there who will. LOL

I should also mention that although I am a Collaborator here at PA, this thread and recommendation is made entirely independently of my duties as a PA collaborator, and is also totally independent of the PA Artist of the Month that is endorsed by M@x, the site's owner. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 08:45
I hope Brian doesn't mind, but since he has already reviewed this album, I would like to share his review here.

Review by Slartibartfast
COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Buried Alone: Tales Of Crushing Defeat is certainly one of my more interesting musical discoveries for 2009. I've recently run into a few new artists with male and female duet vocals: Phideaux, Pure Reason Revolution, The Reasoning, and will have to add Kavus Torabi's Knifeworld to the list of really good newer progressive artists in this vein.

The big names will always grab the attention but don't let the lesser knowns pass you by. What we have here is to a big extent a Torabi solo project, with Kavus on most of the instruments and playing a major vocal role, but the supporting musicians really bring the album all together, especially the extra vocalists and Kyam Allami's drum work. In addition to the extra vocalists, there's wind instrumentation including recorder, saxophone, clarinet, flute by Sarah Measures. As I write a few notes about these musicians, I realize I really don't know anything much about them, but I hope to hear more from them in the future. This is my first encounter with any of them and I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing.

As to describing the music, there's a lot of variety and only bits that I can relate to some of the great progressive music of days of old. I don't see them as being overly imitative of the great stuff that was done in the past while not turning their back on it. It's a nicely balanced mixture of heavy, the less heavy, and the occasional light moments, but overall there's a wonderful intensity to it all. Mid period Gentle Giant and Kayak come to mind. For Kayak particularly the frenetic style used for the song Pissed Up On Brake Fluid. For Gentle Giant, it's definitely in the wind instruments, but also in the complexity of the music (not to say that Kayak couldn't get complex). The lyrics are by and large bleak when you read them to the music. The album comes across as more upbeat if you listen to it first without doing that. My favorite song is the ending piece Me To The Future Of You. You get some really moving duet vocals, it has a good length to it and wraps up the album nicely.

I'd also like to put in a kind word for putting this album out in a nicely designed cardboard sleeve with a lyric booklet. I hate "jewel" cases.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 08:51
So I take it it was a decent review. Big smile

Well since you copied it to this thread I don't think there's much to add other than you all really need to check this one out.

And thanks to you as you are the one who turned me on to them.

v v v That's (second paragraph below) what made it such an easy approval for crossover.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 02 2009 at 12:12
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 09:14

Yes, I think that your review describes it well.  I agree that Me to the Future of You is probably my favorite song too.  I'll spend this month giving this album a number of spins so that I can get more familiar with it to see whereelse it can take me. 

I'd say that in a nutshell, this album represents modern accessible commercial progressive rock as performed by an avant-prog artist, thus making it accessible to both regular prog rock fans and to a lesser extent avant-prog rock fans.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 10:05
PA just added the song Singled Out for Battery to the Knifeworld page here http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4800  in case anyone is interested in checking out this band.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 11:50
Sounds like a decent alum I'll have to check it out.
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 09:06
Time for another listen.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 09:38
The song titled "Corpses Feuding Underground" sounds like a song title that would go nicely on an album from the band called Between the Buried and Me. LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 09:45
Another thing that might be of interest to Londoners is that they are playing live in London here:
Nov 27 2009 8:00P
Club Hell at Cross Kings London and South East

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 14:37
Time to give this another listen.  The beginning of the first song begins with a sing chant that stylisticly reminds me of a Yes song.  I can't recall which Yes song it is however.  I think it is the Jon Anderson solo song from Fragile. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 14:42
I really like this album.  Have we attracted any new converts yet?  People. people, people, this is really good, there are samples out there.  Give it a try.

Well, at least no one has come along and trashed it.  And why?  Because it's a damn fine album. 

Put down your Porcupine Tree or Phideaux (I like those new ones, too BTW) and try this out.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 14:52
I saw that it got a 5 star rating without a review on their PA page.  Don't  know if that came from a convert or not. 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2011 at 10:59
Knifeworld's new EP, Dear Lord, No Deal, is very good, I enjoy it a lot and so this is a good opportunity to resurrect this thread.

Also, read the great interview Frippism did with Kavus here
 Post Reply Post Reply