Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBubu - Anabelas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubu - Anabelas
    Posted: May 16 2005 at 18:09
A fantastic album! Orchestrated jazz a la Zappa, Magma, KC etc with that necessary sense of fun. Essential, masterpiece, blah blah blah. That's not why I started this thread though. There's something very unusual about this band/album:

All the music was composed by one man who didn't play on the album. What I want to know is what on Earth happened to him! I've done some googling but as far as I can see he's never written another note of anything. Now, I know this can't be true, so does anyone know of any other works by the elusive Daniel Andreoli, sometime composer for the fascinating Bubu.

Feel free to discuss the album generally, though.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 02:38

Love Bubu's sole album!

But your second paragraph is news to me! Must say I only discovered South american prog last fall thru this site! So i'm afraid I cannot help you, but your thread has definitely got my attention, I am impatient to know the answer!

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 06:52
No one? I can't believe that he could compose something this intricate and ambitious and then never write music again... it seems ridiculous.
geezer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 07:23
I remember that years ago I searched reviews of this album and one reviewer was wondering the same thing as you are. He also had tried to search but couldn't find anything. But this was like 4 or 5 years ago. My memory coud be doing its tricks on me.

A fantastic album for sure. Perhaps the best from Argentina?
Hiwatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 04:53
I read somewhere the interview on internet with him, but i cant remember where.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 04:54
Originally posted by Hiwatter Hiwatter wrote:

I read somewhere the interview on internet with him, but i cant remember where.

You're joking!! Wow, right then - the search is back on!

Edit: Google, I love you. That took all of half a minute to find!

http://www.progresiva70s.com/entrevista_blostein.htm

Now I just need someone to translate...

Edited by Trouserpress
Carakhallo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 04:57
Yes, GREAT album, one of the best from Argentina. There are other very good efforts:

- La máquina de hacer pájaros: "Películas" (very good symphonic prog)
- MIA: "Cornonstipicum" (try this if you liked Bubu)
- Crucis: both releases, the first is more symphonic and the second one
is more prog-fusion
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 05:23
Trouserpress, I´ve just found one web page (http://www.progresiva70s.com) where there is an interview with Sergio Blostein, former Bubu guitar player. I´m afraid it is a page written in spanish. From the home page, click on "REVISIONES POR PAIS" then "Argentina (Rock)" then "Bubu". You can see a photograph and Daniel Andreoli is seated the first on the left. This interview says that he was the composer but also the bass player. And now he is a cooker in Israel (¡¡¿?!!)

Wait a minute.... YOU WON´T BELEIVE IT!!! I have found a page with information on Andreoli (http://www.redota.com/archivo/directorios/espania /). It is from 2002, then he was 49. It says he is a cooker and has worked in Miami, Argentina and Israel. You can see his adress and even his e-mail (so you can write him and ask him whatever you want ). He speaks spanish (of course, he´s aregentinian...), english and hebrew.

Ups.... there´s something more... (http://clasificados.grippo.com.ar/adultos/vol7n004 .htm). In this page someone called Daniel Andreoli asks girls to send him photographs of them nude . He gives an e-mail different from the former I´ve given you, but if you read that mail adress you will see this Andreoli is also argentinian... GOT YOU, ANDREOLI !!

So, you see, the thing was searching in spanish
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 05:24
Oh, I see, the interview is the same you had already found....  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 09:25
Wow! Thanks hugely for your input, Carak. I've sent a very polite e-mail enquiring about Bubu - whether he is indeed the same man (seems very likely though) and whether he's written music before or since. I'm doubtful that I'll get a reply, obviously, but I'll be sure to let you all know if/when I do.

Thanks everyone! I never thought this thread would have any kind of success!
Prog-Brazil View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 10:25

I am preparing a rapid translation for you, ok? You have to forgive my english...

Just wait a minute (or an hour..)

Edited by Prog-Brazil
Let the sunshine in
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 12:38
Now here's one exemplary thread about a more than exemplary band.

Edited by Manunkind
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 13:43

"Anabelas" is my all-time fave prog album from Argentina!! I reviewed it and gave it a 5-star rating.

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 13:44
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

"Anabelas" is my all-time fave prog album from Argentina!! I reviewed it and gave it a 5-star rating.

And a 5 stars more than well-earned!

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 15:22

Sorry, friends. It’s difficult translate it. I present you (full of errors) a brief summary from Sérgio Blostein interview offered to http://www.progresiva70s.com/entrevista_blostein.htm. I really love Bubu and I hope listen new songs or new recordings (live maybe) of them soon. If you don’t understand anything, just ask me. Please notify me of my mistakes.

Talk about Bubu’s origins.

The first drummer, Monín (from Orions Beethoven), presented me Daniel Andreoli (1972). We played as a trio.  So a Daniel’s friend joined to us: Ricardo La Civita, on flute.

I discovered Zappa at 15 years old, so he opened my mind. I joined to Wim’s group (saxophone). Then joined to the band a nephew-grandchild of Neruda: Noelito (violin).

So we were Sion (before Bubu):  Daniel Andreoli (bass), Wim Forstmann (tenor sax), Ricardo La Civita (travers flute), Carlos Noel Reyes (violin), Jorge Liechtenstein (drums) and myself (Sergio Blostein, guitar). We were an instrumental band in the beginning, until appear an Andreoli’s friend: the great poet Tito Santángelo.

Part of these songs were written in earliest bands?

The first band that played these songs, especially "El cortejo de un día amarillo" was Sion, but we were the same band. The original band was renovated, so we changed our name.

You leave the guitar… when you played guitar again?

In 1990, when we record with Wim, Sergio Polizzi (violin) and Gustavo Dinerstein (flute). We record Daniel Andreoli’s “Carnavalito” and Wim’s “Florián”.

What the function of the arranger?

In the beginning, we had a meeting: Andreoli, Wim and me. We choose Andreoli to compose, me to arranger and Wim to productor.

Andreoli is the only composer?

Andreoli brought some compositions, so we were arranging and improvising in it.

However, Wim, Daniel and me had an unique direction to compose together.

Why Andreoli appear as arranger in many places?

It’s ridiculous think a composer, Beethoven for example, was arranger of his symphonies. Andreoli composed Anabelas work, but I arranged it and all of we make improvisations on it. Andreoli had written his lasts compositions directly to the band.

There are new records from Bubu? It will be released?

There are Anabelas pieces with Zavaleta voice, but I don’t know if there is any record of it. Afterwards, me, Daniel Andreoli and Wim recorded in my studio. It depends of his writers to be record.

It’s possible Anabelas to be re-released?

Wim is in Miami checking it. It’s possible a new recording with new songs as bonus tracks.

What were your influences? You talk about Zappa. Did you hear Magma, King Crimson, Gong or Henry Cow?
There were many influences. I and Wim hear much Frank Zappa. Andreoli was very close to King Crimson; Zavaleta, close to Genesis.

Did you make improvisation in shows?

Bubu was fantastic playing alive. It was better than recorded. There were improvisation moments, but there was very rigor as well.

Where is Bubu now?
I work with theatre, studios and television as instrumentist, productor, arranger, etc. Wim is in South beach, Miami. I have contacts with him. Daniel Andreoli lives in Israel, working as cooker, but I don’t believe he leaves the music. Eduardo Rogatti is here in Buenos Aires, I think. Cecilia and Sergio Polizzi followed other musicals tendencies.
Polo was in "Los abuelos de la nada" with Miguel Abuelo. Zavaleta in Suéter. Pedro Aznar, worked with other musicals genres and played with Pat Metheny. Daniel Zuker, lead an orquesta, I think. Flek and Polo regrettably are dead. Flek and I were very close.

Edited by Prog-Brazil
Let the sunshine in
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 15:52
Look! In Wim Fortsman comments (in the same page): There will be a second Anabelas edition, with bonus tracks and pictures from the group!
Let the sunshine in
Hiwatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 18:20
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 18:24
Originally posted by Prog-Brazil Prog-Brazil wrote:

Sorry, friends. It’s difficult translate it. I present you (full of errors) a brief summary from Sérgio Blostein interview offered to http://www.progresiva70s.com/entrevista_blostein.htm. I really love Bubu and I hope listen new songs or new recordings (live maybe) of them soon. If you don’t understand anything, just ask me. Please notify me of my mistakes.

The first drummer, Monín (from Orions Beethoven), presented me Daniel Andreoli (1972). We played as a trio.  So a Daniel’s friend joined to us: Ricardo La Civita, on flute.

I discovered Zappa at 15 years old, so he opened my mind. I joined to Wim’s group (saxophone). Then joined to the band a nephew-grandchild of Neruda: Noelito (violin).

So we were Sion (before Bubu):  Daniel Andreoli (bass), Wim Forstmann (tenor sax), Ricardo La Civita (travers flute), Carlos Noel Reyes (violin), Jorge Liechtenstein (drums) and myself (Sergio Blostein, guitar). We were an instrumental band in the beginning, until appear an Andreoli’s friend: the great poet Tito Santángelo.

The first band that played these songs, especially "El cortejo de un día amarillo" was Sion, but we were the same band. The original band was renovated, so we changed our name.

In 1990, when we record with Wim, Sergio Polizzi (violin) and Gustavo Dinerstein (flute). We record Daniel Andreoli’s “Carnavalito” and Wim’s “Florián”.

In the beginning, we had a meeting: Andreoli, Wim and me. We choose Andreoli to compose, me to arranger and Wim to productor.

It’s ridiculous think a composer, Beethoven for example, was arranger of his symphonies. Andreoli composed Anabelas work, but I arranged it and all of we make improvisations on it. Andreoli had written his lasts compositions directly to the band.

There are Anabelas pieces with Zavaleta voice, but I don’t know if there is any record of it. Afterwards, me, Daniel Andreoli and Wim recorded in my studio. It depends of his writers to be record.

Wim is in Miami checking it. It’s possible a new recording with new songs as bonus tracks.

What were your influences? You talk about Zappa. Did you hear Magma, King Crimson, Gong or Henry Cow?
There were many influences. I and Wim hear much Frank Zappa. Andreoli was very close to King Crimson; Zavaleta, close to Genesis.

Bubu was fantastic playing alive. It was better than recorded. There were improvisation moments, but there was very rigor as well.

Where is Bubu now?
I work with theatre, studios and television as instrumentist, productor, arranger, etc. Wim is in South beach, Miami. I have contacts with him. Daniel Andreoli lives in Israel, working as cooker, but I don’t believe he leaves the music. Eduardo Rogatti is here in Buenos Aires, I think. Cecilia and Sergio Polizzi followed other musicals tendencies.
Polo was in "Los abuelos de la nada" with Miguel Abuelo. Zavaleta in Suéter. Pedro Aznar, worked with other musicals genres and played with Pat Metheny. Daniel Zuker, lead an orquesta, I think. Flek and Polo regrettably are dead. Flek and I were very close.

Well done-true International AidClap

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 19:06
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by Prog-Brazil Prog-Brazil wrote:

Where is Bubu now?

Well done-true International AidClap

Beat me to it, Tony! And thanks also to Hiwatter! Really appreciating all this help guys!
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 12:58
wow its so cool, but why in the name of god he is doing a cock job in israel?!?!?
...live for tomorrow...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>