Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - KC Epitaph inspired by italian traditional song?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKC Epitaph inspired by italian traditional song?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: KC Epitaph inspired by italian traditional song?
    Posted: November 07 2009 at 13:08
Hi, I recently had a discussion with an old progger and told me that Epitaph by Cing Crimson is inspired by an old Italian traditional song, but I can't find anything on the Internet. Does anyone know anything about this???
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 22:10
No I don't know anything about the particular song you are searching for. However playing a minor chord followed by 3 major chords is a common but centuries old tradition in Italy, Spain, Mexico etc.  The same chord progression is used in many Santana songs. It's played much faster in a Latin mode but is still basically the same progression for Epitaph. There is a piece of music titled "Spanish Ballad" which was written in Spain but highly adapted in Italian culture. Spanish Ballad has an entire different chord structure from Epitaph but in the same sense has been written many times, in many period pieces but posed with different time signatures and because of that, the progression itself can not always immediately be identified.  The chord progression in Epitaph I can surely see present in various traditional Italian folk music. good luck 
Luca Pacchiarini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 04:49
Never heard about it.... sorry
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 20:50
Hi,

I doubt it ... it was a song and poem that was done live first and it was a reaction to the madness and insanity of the time with the IRA in England and VietNam with America ... and a few other skirmishes elsewhere.

In my book it has the same power and strength as Credence's powerful song (the one about the son) and Country Joe's famous dittie on the Woodstock film ... it was an artistic representation that spoke the truth of the time ... and it is something that stands out because it was meaningful and important ... not just some kind of bubblegum factory band that doesn't care ... and it got to number 5 on top of the pops!

Yes, it is possible it might not be ... but not likely ... even Byron used to say that he wrote half his poetry in the bathtub! ... but somehow I don't think that he meant any less or wrote the worse for it. But, if you check Greg Lake later and his own work, he is about being meaningful and pointed ... and this song fits him to a t and he nailed it ... did he ever! And we all remember it because of it.

Edited by moshkito - November 30 2009 at 20:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply