Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCapability Brown Appreciation thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capability Brown Appreciation thread!
    Posted: November 14 2009 at 23:57

Most of you know about my obsession with CB. I have to go out in a minute, so I can't show appreciation atm, but let the appreciation begin!

Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
skr5e View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2009 at 02:21
Right now I only have Voice and all I can say is that the track Circumstances is incredible. It is a MUST LISTEN for any prog fan, hands down. I only wish Voice had more original material, even though their covers were top notch as well. I can only lament when I imagine how awesome their next album COULD have been.

Noting how you have a Wishbone avatar, CB's style reminds me of them. It could be because I discovered Argus and Voice in the same day browsing this site. WA's live Phoenix and CB's Circumstances made for one of the best days of my life. Tongue
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2009 at 07:11
I share the exact same opinion, and I also, only have CB's Voice. AMAZING!
Trendsetter win!

Oysterman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 06:26
They were one of the most underrated bands of all time I saw them many times and became fairly friendly with them.Their live performances were always excellent Their harmonies both vocal and instrumental were amazing.One of the reasons they split up was because of a row with Tony Stratton-Smith the head of Charisma records. After that the nucleus of the band formed Krazy Kat and released two LPs both excellent. They were a band who always received excellent reviews in the musical press.
izash View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 06:38
Thanks for the info. It's sad to hear that they broke up because of that guy.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 14:39
Good album but Circunmstances is one of the best track of all progressive in all time.

i usually listen too much in early 2000-01.

Oysterman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 00:55
They had their own fan club. Needless to say they were called Landscape Gardeners of which I was proud to be a member. I was in contact with Tony Ferguson early last year. He lives in America now but I believe he is not too well
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 04:37
God no! We can't afford a loss of another Capability Brown member. LET US ARRANGE A REUNION CONCERT!
Trendsetter win!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by skr5e skr5e wrote:

Right now I only have Voice and all I can say is that the track Circumstances is incredible. It is a MUST LISTEN for any prog fan, hands down. I only wish Voice had more original material, even though their covers were top notch as well. I can only lament when I imagine how awesome their next album COULD have been. 

I've had that album since the day it came out ... I still think that is one of Hipgnosis' best covers ... specially when considering that the album is about vocals ... AND the inside picture has all the members with their eyes closed.

Somehow, I think this is way too proggy and artsy for some of the folks in this board ... that are way too inclined to define prog as something that it is not, and leave out all the stuff they have not heard or considered.

Regardless of definition, this is excellent music and a great album ... and one of my most treasured albums from the Harvest group ... the 2nd one (PF doesn't count!) ... is Edgar Broughton Band's OORA ... unffortunately too much of the discussion here is music that has populist appeal ... and some of those folks are not willing to listen to some different things.

And their version of Liar on the first album is ... prog instead of pop ...

Edited by moshkito - November 24 2009 at 15:52
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 17:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by skr5e skr5e wrote:

I've had that album since the day it came out ... I still think that is one of Hipgnosis' best covers ... specially when considering that the album is about vocals ... AND the inside picture has all the members with their eyes closed.

Somehow, I think this is way too proggy and artsy for some of the folks in this board ... that are way too inclined to define prog as something that it is not, and leave out all the stuff they have not heard or considered.

Regardless of definition, this is excellent music and a great album ... and one of my most treasured albums from the Harvest group ... the 2nd one (PF doesn't count!) ... is Edgar Broughton Band's OORA ... unffortunately too much of the discussion here is music that has populist appeal ... and some of those folks are not willing to listen to some different things.

And their version of Liar on the first album is ... prog instead of pop ...

Yes but i prefer Inside Out of Edgar Broughton

Oysterman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 04:55
People dont realise that the band had 3 top notch lead guitarists It made the live performances really exciting It was like Wishbone Ash but 3 point harmony instead of 2. They were firm favourites at London's legendary Marquee club where they filled the place to bustin every time they played there. They were on the undercard of all the big names Yes ELP Genesis King Crimson e.t.c. I remember seeing them at Kennington Oval where Genesis were headlining Quite a few people thought that CB should have been top of the bill they were that good (Genesis had a bit of an Off Day)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 12:18
I'd love to see a CB reunion WITH grahame white, even though he's dead RIP.
Trendsetter win!

Oysterman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 12:39
He was a fine and underrated guitarist I had many a pint with him after a gig
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 13:57
Did you join the forum just for this thread?
Trendsetter win!

Oysterman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 14:12
Not Particularly but it is nice to see other people apreciating the band as well
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 19:40
Hi,

I remember the combination of the cover, and the inside picture ... and that was what had me get it on the spot ... not to mention that at that time, I had just discovered that Hipgnosis' covers for all their bands was a sort of "editorial" on the music ... and in general, they were very with it ... I even remember the covers for the band "Flash" ... and unfortunately it's all it was ... a nice "flash" ... on both albums ... and the music in it did not have it much ... although the picture of the cover is worth having in your wall if your wife/girlfriend doesn't take it personally!

The commentary about the music ... by Hipgnosis ... was way too good ... and I don't think they ever failed ... I even liked one LZ cover ... like enjoying/appreciating a meaningless symbol ... and in their case it was rock'n'roll ... and yeah ... this was more than just that ... and the cover was like trying to tell you that this is a bit more than just that ... but I doubt that anyone gave a darn ...

I was just looking at Storm's The Album Cover Book (he really needs to redo it and add the other 20 years to it!) ... and I just don't get it ... why there isn't a chapter on the Hipgnosis groups only ... since they are all weird and different ... and the covers usually hit the mark. ... and CB's cover is to my ideas, one of the best covers ever ... and the music ... heck ... still good ... and I will play it again on my next radio show!

Edited by moshkito - November 27 2009 at 19:42
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 02:06
Evening fellas,

Just thought I'd drop in to say I've ordered the 2008 remaster CD of Voice... Can't wait
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 04:02
FINALLY! All the BF appreciation has talked you in, eh?
Trendsetter win!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 04:58
Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

I was there when it came out .. we also played a lot of their version of Liar ... which is excellent and way better than the hit song. It's on the first album.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 05:04
Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

Ah, well you talked me into Argus (Which, although I've only given one proper listen so far, was very pleasing) so why not this one?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>