Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBurn speed??? Does it matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burn speed??? Does it matter?
    Posted: November 20 2009 at 22:41
When Itunes asks you what speed you want to create an audio CD- does it matter what speed you choose? Will maximum speed vs. say, 8x speed create a slight difference in sound? Why does part of me feel that the slower you choose, the better the CD may sound? This probably sounds ludicrous. Embarrassed

Edited by Drew - November 20 2009 at 22:41

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 22:53
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Why does part of me feel that the slower you choose, the better the CD may sound? 

Don't listen to that part of you.  Wink
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 22:57
LOL

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 00:42
It is true - slower burn speeds are better for audio files, but picture files are unaffected - i have heard this from a number of IT technicians, though burning audio files onto a CD can eventually become unstable however slowly you burn them, recently i took my collection of 500 burned CD's to the dump as they were becoming unstable after about 8 or 10 years . Smile
Prog Archives Tour Van
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 08:08
I thought the burning speed was just a matter of mecanical security when burning CD-R, in order to avoid a failure in this process?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 12:12
^ this is true Cedric, it is also possible that slower burn speeds can produce flawed data structures on the CD surface. Trial and error is the best way of identifying the optimum burn-speed for your set-up. 

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

When Itunes asks you what speed you want to create an audio CD- does it matter what speed you choose? Will maximum speed vs. say, 8x speed create a slight difference in sound? Why does part of me feel that the slower you choose, the better the CD may sound? This probably sounds ludicrous. Embarrassed
Burn speed in itself cannot affect audio quality because the quality of the audio in the encoded files remains unchanged. What you get is difficulty in reading the digital data, causing the post-processing software/hardware to interpolate more of the missing data until such a point is reached that the data cannot be reconstructed and you get a drop-out. While this is annoying and can result in the disc skipping, glitching or sticking - the sound quality remains unchanged.

Faster burn speeds require the transport to spin the disc faster and the laser to switch on and off faster - this can cause the pits (digital "zeros") in the dye surface to become less well defined, resulting in difficulty in reading or misreading of the data. (for example a 1100011 code could be seen as either 1110011 or 1000011). However, manufactures of both the transport and the media would not specify either of them as being capable of achieving those speeds if they resulted in unreadable data.

Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

It is true - slower burn speeds are better for audio files, but picture files are unaffected - i have heard this from a number of IT technicians, though burning audio files onto a CD can eventually become unstable however slowly you burn them, recently i took my collection of 500 burned CD's to the dump as they were becoming unstable after about 8 or 10 years . Smile
Degradation of CDRs is a known problem and they should not be used for archiving -  degradation of the aluminium coating due to chemical reaction with the bonding agents, UV degradation of the dyes used (the old "green" cyanine ones are particularly bad), attack of the polycarbonate layer due to stick-on labels and marker-pens, attack of the lacquer layer due to ingress of oxygen and air-borne polutants and micro-scratches on the surface diffusing the read-laser all result in giving CDRs a limited life-span. Glass pressed CDs and DVDs are less prone to this (but not immune) and are more reliable in the long term, but they also have limited life.

What?
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 13:35
I haven't burned a CD or DVD in more than three years ... who needs this today, with USB sticks and memory cards? Even a friend of mine who is totally "non-geeky" recently got a new car that has a SD card interface for transfering audio.

So: find a way to get rid of the need for CD-R ... you'll also help protecting the environment by producing less plastic garbage.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 07:54
I've often asked myself this, good question.
@mystic fred: If you say CDs become unstable after eight to ten years, does this happen just after they've been in use for that time, or does it also happen if they're just stored? Probably after use, but you never know?
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 09:03
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

@mystic fred: If you say CDs become unstable after eight to ten years, does this happen just after they've been in use for that time, or does it also happen if they're just stored? Probably after use, but you never know?

i had stored them in proper storage folders, but some discs worked and some didn't, they would skip and jump, sometimes the cd player would not be able to "find" the disc at all, though the same player worked with some cd copies. 
I had a revision of my cd copies collection, threw all the copies away, replaced some with remastered factory issues and some with used vinyl records.
Prog Archives Tour Van
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 10:35
The slower you burn, the surer you are that your CD will be played correctly by the host.
(Very) old CD players often can't read CDs that are burnt too fast.
I had to burn in 4x for my Walkman Sony (the first one) to be able to (sometimes) read my CDs.

If it's regular data, go full speed.
If it's something that needs real time like audio and video, burn slow. 8x is generally well read everywhere.
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 11:06

They decay even when not used at all - but I guess that heavy usage accelerates the problem, since the discs can get quite hot (particularly in a computer drive).
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 06:07
The lower the better. So 1X is the best, and it's even better to do it on an audiophile home burner.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 06:13
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

The lower the better. So 1X is the best, and it's even better to do it on an audiophile home burner.
Why?

Also, what difference can a "audiophile" home burner possibly make?
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 06:51
^ it burns the pits more exactly, resulting in a smoother sound (less harsh).

;-)
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 06:58
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

i had stored them in proper storage folders, but some discs worked and some didn't, they would skip and jump, sometimes the cd player would not be able to "find" the disc at all, though the same player worked with some cd copies. 
I had a revision of my cd copies collection, threw all the copies away, replaced some with remastered factory issues and some with used vinyl records.

I've had the same problems. Now I follow advice that Mr Progfreak gave me (before he became a freak Wink) and copy all my cds in lossless format to external hard drives.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 07:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Why?

Let's not go down that alley again! Cry

If Oliver believes it and it makes him happy and gives him comfort then what's the harm? At least audiophiles dont stone people or burn them at the stake...Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 09:29
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

At least audiophiles dont stone people or burn them at the stake...Wink

Oh yeah?  I was molested by an audiophile. CryLOL

Of course everything on any media will degrade over time.  All my bought CDs are still working fine as near as I can tell.  I do have some CDs I made copying LPs.  I still have those that have been subsequently replaced with bought CDs.  It may be fun to check them out periodically as the best test of time is a test of time.

Really fascinated by the ability we now have of totally digital storage of music.  Is this the end of the degradation problem?

I'm old enough to remember when a 1 gig hard drive was huge.LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 26 2009 at 09:45
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 09:49
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ it burns the pits more exactly, resulting in a smoother sound (less harsh).;-)

Exactly
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 10:10
nice one Mike Clap
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 10:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Why?

The laser beam is gold plated.  Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>