Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCapital Punishment: For or Against?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Do you stand by it?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [30.43%]
32 [69.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 20:04
Ok, I'll bite. Wink

My view on this matter is quite simple really - as I outlined in my first post. In short, I cannot support the state to execute criminals because for me:

1. I cannot 100% trust the Police, the Judiciary and other relevant legal avenues to ensure that the criminal in question deserves to die, or cannot be rehabilitated or put to use in a penal system.

2. I cannot endorse murder for murder. Such backwards thinking really does not belong in a modern society. This means that although a criminal may murder another person, it is not any better to kill them for the sake of nominal justice. I would much rather see them locked up, working in prison, and at least given the opportunity to do something useful.

3. In cases where a murderer is released, and then murders again, it is quite clear that they cannot be rehabilitated, and execution may be a serious option. Again this would depend to the effectiveness of the judiciary as to whether the death penalty would be permissible. Otherwise, hard manual labour should be the only option. And yes, while such a repeat murder may have been prevented by the death penalty, or life internment - I'm no mind reader, and nor are you.

4. Don't get me wrong, I beleive that the most serious crimes should be punished with near Gulag-esque work conditions. No comforts, bare essentials, hard work, time to reflect.

5. To those who moan about the cost of housing inmates. Seriously, I would rather pay my taxes to house them in an effective penal institution than resort to killing people. And I also see a trend, especially in the US, where many death row inmates live onwards of 5-20 years on the row. Cost effective my ****.

6. Haven't us humans killed enough of our own kind already?

7. In a personal situation where one of my family or friends was murdered/raped/violently attacked etc, I would like nothing more than to make the perpetrator suffer personally. But I know that revenge based emotions only lead to personal anarchy, and the last thing I would want is a situation where a literal interpretation of an 'eye for an eye' becomes normalised.

Edited by Any Colour You Like - November 28 2009 at 22:09
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 21:08
I'd be willing to take execution off the table as an option if life in prison = life in prison (no parole).  It happens again and again that someone who initially commits one of these violent crimes is later released only to pick up right where they he or she left off.  This happens constantly in my area.  As mentioned the three strikes model seems to work pretty well, since by that point we've ample evidence that the individual either cannot or will not be rehabilitated, and that he or she just doesn't give a rip for societal norms.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 03:38
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

I'd be willing to take execution off the table as an option if life in prison = life in prison (no parole).  It happens again and again that someone who initially commits one of these violent crimes is later released only to pick up right where they he or she left off.  This happens constantly in my area.  As mentioned the three strikes model seems to work pretty well, since by that point we've ample evidence that the individual either cannot or will not be rehabilitated, and that he or she just doesn't give a rip for societal norms.
If this happens constantly in your area then isn't there something fundamentally wrong with your area? I don't know whether where you live is higher or lower than the USA national average for murder but when that average is 2 to 3 times that of Europe, Canada or Australia it would suggest that Capital Punishment does not address the issue of why more people kill in the USA than in any comparible country and when some of those killers would kill again if released goes on to suggest that the penal system is also failing.
What?
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 13:09
I would agree that there is something fundamentally flawed with the criminal justice system here in the U.S.  I also don't know why we have much higher crime rates.  Unfortunately, my area is no better nor worse than any other major city in the U.S. 

Now just this morning, a bit south of here, four cops sitting in a coffee shop getting ready to start their shifts were ambushed and gunned down.  All four dead.   

Whoever is responsible will eventually be found.  I'd argue that the person(s) does not deserve even a chance at rehabilitation.  Put 'em away for all time, one way or another (true life sentence or execution).
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 17:27
There's no "sociopaths"... It's called antisocial personality disorder. And yes, pretty much it's impossible to rehabilitate. People with such disorder rarely respond to therapy and are pretty much always violent. People like that populate the prisons and have to be kept away from society. And in some cases I even agree with that violent dog-sociopath analogy...

... at least the dog can't grab a shotgun...or do 0.0001% of the things a dangerous person can do.,
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 17:47
Call them what you want, it's just semantics.  The fact is some people just need to be put down.

You might want to go to Wikipedia and do a quick search on "Ted Bundy", to see the amount of death, destruction, and general havoc an uncontained individual of this sort can inflict.  The story is full of failures of our justice system:  I allow that.  And there is a trail of young women dead in their relative youth to prove it.  But one way to correct the failures it to take extreme measures.  Fortunately, in Florida, at least at the time, Ol' Sparky was up to the task of finally taking Ted off the streets.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 17:50

I would agree that there is something fundamentally flawed with the criminal justice system here in the U.S.  I also don't know why we have much higher crime rates.  Unfortunately, my area is no better nor worse than any other major city in the U.S. 

Now just this morning, a bit south of here, four cops sitting in a coffee shop getting ready to start their shifts were ambushed and gunned down.  All four dead.   

Whoever is responsible will eventually be found.  I'd argue that the person(s) does not deserve even a chance at rehabilitation.  Put 'em away for all time, one way or another (true life sentence or execution).

I know why we have a higher crime rate, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you. 

Seriously, though I personally believe it is more about easy access to weapons, plain and simple.  It provides a nut case with an easier means to do mayhem.  Yet you can't underestimate the ability of people to do harm with unconventional weapons, McVeigh, Kazinsky, etc. for example. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 30 2009 at 12:30
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 18:15
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I know why we have a higher crime rate, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you. 

Seriously, though I personally believe it is more about easy access to weapons, plain and simple.  It provides a nut case with an easier means to do mayhem.  Yet you can't underestimate the ability of people to do harm with unconventional weapons, McVeigh, Kazinsky, etc. for example. 
Please don't contemplate killing me Slarti, it's a long drive across the country...LOL...and I'm hardly worth the effort, though I guess you could always come in and get my Beatles albums, most of which, while original, are hardly in even good shape. 

I agree however that here in the good ol' USA anyone can get a gun, which is generally a more capable weapon of individual (as opposed to mass) destruction than, say, a knife.

I'll say again:  there are some serious societal issues here, and some criminal justice issues as well.  That I mention them in the same sentence suggests that they are interrelated, and I'm only a casual observer, albeit one who sees the little shrines erected by the side of the road, where someone was gunned down for who knows what reason.

Kazinsky's an interesting anomaly, a one man terrorist operating out of a hovel in Montana.  We'd best hope there are no more like him. 

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 21:49

Now back to reality:

Four cops gunned down today.  Let's look at the toll:

Sergeant, age 39.  He is survived by a wife, two daughters and a son.

Officer, age 37. He is survived by a former wife and a daughter.

Officer, age 40. She is survived by her husband and two children.

Officer age 42. He is survived by a wife and three children.

Now explain to me why the person who is responsible deserves anything, even his life.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 22:14
And apparently his previous sentence was commuted by President wannabee Mike Huckabee in Arkansas. 

If this is true, so much for compassion, and rehabilitation.   I wish he could get what he really deserves. 

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 12:23

Now back to reality:

Four cops gunned down today.  Let's look at the toll:

Sergeant, age 39.  He is survived by a wife, two daughters and a son.

Officer, age 37. He is survived by a former wife and a daughter.

Officer, age 40. She is survived by her husband and two children.

Officer age 42. He is survived by a wife and three children.

Now explain to me why the person who is responsible deserves anything, even his life.

Last I heard they hadn't caught the guy but from what I've heard this was  a cold blooded executuion. 
Medieval torture for this guy once they get him.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 12:29
Ultimately you can never make sense out of senseless acts.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 30 2009 at 14:48
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 14:43

No need to make sense of it.  I don't care about his reason or his sob story.   I'd volunteer to flip that switch, though I don't know if they have permanent rehabilitation in that state.  Hopefully they do. 

Edited by Finnforest - November 30 2009 at 14:44

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 14:48
I have no desire to terminate the life of anyone, but then it again when it comes to some prominent conservatives you just might not have to twist my arm too hard.  Can I have their money after they are toast?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 15:18
Then again... the discussion is... this guy who murdered 4 guys deserves to live? No, at least not in this planet, and society needs to be protected. Again, he deserves to die -an ugly death if you ask me- not just because he put in danger the life of whoever he lives close from, but because he have to pay 4 murders and that's it... imagine that the wives and kids of this officers will pay the long life of this criminal in jail... that's stupid... so, capital punishment is what we need and that's it... later I will speak about criminal rates per country... maybe there's a lot to talk about...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 16:23
Was it in Guatemala or in Belize that the government tried to eradicate the local Native American people?
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 16:34
dude... you need to research your sources... in Guatemala cannot be erradicated the native americans because they are the 60% of population and most of the rest 40% have native roots... so, I think you should check who you are reading... that's the lie that the rebels sold during the civil war to get money from european countries who thought they were fighting for the rights of the poor... I can tell you because is my history and my country and I can stand to whatever you believe that this lie is one thing that really makes this country to suffer... wonder where the rebels are since the peace sign...?? yeah, their weapons are the ones who are killing people every day (17 deads each day) and those rebels now are murderers...

Well, that's for another topic... just I can tell you that all that you read about "genocide" is pure lie man... there were excess, yes, painfully, but never at the levels they want you to think of... back to the topic... here we have I think like 156 criminal already sentenced guilty and waiting for the capital punishment... some of them have like 8 years of waiting their punishment and the govenrment still don't take the lead to execute them... sad really... they live like kings in the jails... very, very sad...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 17:12
I was wrong: it happened in Bolivia.

Back to the topic: let's close this thread.
While I can understand some people need to talk about their political ideas, I feel that some of the non musical subjects of the forum would bring PA to sterile and destructive arguments.

From atheism and creationism to Obama's politic or capital punishment, any subject would lead to the same exchange : "I'm for it / I'm against It"; "I'm for it, because... / I'm against it, because...", and "You are wrong, I'm right / No, YOU are wrong, I AM right"
Here, the Pro would call the Anti "idealistic sheeps who never suffered", and the Anti would call the Pro "a bunch of blood-thirsty self-proclaimed vigilantes". At the end of the speech, no one would change his/her mind.

To all people, go fight elsewhere. Go out and vote. Join a political party, a syndicate, an association, whatever.
I'm sick.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 22:34
Fair enough, I will let this topic go, though reserve the right to post any updates (unless the admins lock the post, obviously) regarding the most recent situation here in WA.

One last word:  I generally am not in favor of state-sanctioned killing (hey, I grew up during the Viet Nam War era and am no fan of what is currently going on with the U.S. military policies), but when the state is incapable, for whatever reason, of locking some of these sorts up forever, I do not see the death penalty as a bad alternative for those who, due to the incompetance of the penal system, live to kill/rape/molest another day.

There's a bit in Tolkein's Lord of the Rings.  I'm only paraphrasing, but at one point I think it's Sam just wants to kill Gollum.  I think it's Gandalf who says something like, "There are many persons who are alive who deserve to be dead.  And there are many persons who are dead who deserve to be alive.  Can you bring those who are dead back?  Then don't be too willing to send those who are alive to death."   I think we can all live with this.   
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 02:51
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I was wrong: it happened in Bolivia.

Back to the topic: let's close this thread.
While I can understand some people need to talk about their political ideas, I feel that some of the non musical subjects of the forum would bring PA to sterile and destructive arguments.

From atheism and creationism to Obama's politic or capital punishment, any subject would lead to the same exchange : "I'm for it / I'm against It"; "I'm for it, because... / I'm against it, because...", and "You are wrong, I'm right / No, YOU are wrong, I AM right"
Here, the Pro would call the Anti "idealistic sheeps who never suffered", and the Anti would call the Pro "a bunch of blood-thirsty self-proclaimed vigilantes". At the end of the speech, no one would change his/her mind.

To all people, go fight elsewhere. Go out and vote. Join a political party, a syndicate, an association, whatever.
I'm sick.

A very neat and heartfelt summation of where practically every 'emotive topic' thread ends up on PA. The conclusion is also appropriate i.e. talk is cheap until action pushes the price up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>