FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes in Dublin 26/11/09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes in Dublin 26/11/09
    Posted: November 28 2009 at 12:10

What a splendid ‘evening of Yes music’ I had in Dublin on Thursday. For me the show started with Astral Traveler as it took me a while to adjust to the loudness of the band. I enjoyed Alan’s drum solo and he thoroughly deserved the Standing Ovation after it. They played Yours is no Disgrace brilliantly; Steve Howe was on fire and his extended solo made this rendition, in my opinion, better than the original. The crowd was on fire and the band received at least three standing ovations; the band seemed genuinely moved by the crowd and I even saw the usually serious Olive Wakeman smile as he received a huge round of applause as Chris announced the new members of the band. The crowd was a mixture of men and women both young and old and I will never forget the sight of seeing a man in his 60s playing air guitar during Steve Howe’s solos and the teenage girl rocking out to South Side of the Sky! Yes is truly a band that unites people of all ages. The band played each song with an energy I had not seen during their 2004 tour; Benoit and Olive have given Yes a huge shot of adrenalin though of course Jon was still sorely missed. Another of the many highlights was seeing Steve play Classical Gas alone while the rest of the band took a break; Steve may look old but he has the same energy as he had during Yes’s heyday. Heart of the Sunrise was spectacular and Chris received a huge round of applause as he delivered the iconic bass line. I was delighted to see two songs from Drama, a very underrated album in my opinion. Machine Messiah was a particular highlight as I had never seen or heard a live version of it. ‘I See All Good People’ and ‘Roundabout’ had a lot of the crowd on their feet dancing; two people high up in the boxes were dancing and grooving so ‘Close to the Edge’ that I thought they might fall over the edge!  Benoit had a great stage presence and had everyone clapping during Roundabout and made you feel you were part of the band. The band received a standing ovation at the end and Chris Squire saluted the crowd with his bass and looked delighted at the reception the band received. They came out and did Starship Trooper for the encore and I practically floated out of the Olympia Theatre due to the two and a half hours of bliss I had just witnessed. Steve Howe showed that he is one of the top 5 greatest guitarists of all time. Chris Squire showed that he is the master of the bass. Alan White stepped out of Bill Bruford's Shadow and played excellent all night. Olive Wakeman did his father proud as he played Yes’s complicated Keyboard melodies with ease. Benoit David had very big shoes to fill but he was up to the challenge and sang perfectly though you could easily tell that it wasn’t Jon. His youthful energy really rejuvenated the band and was warmly accepted into the Yes family by the crowd. The band survived without Jon in 1980 when they released the excellent Drama and I am convinced now after this concert that they can still survive without him. I wish Jon was still there but I am thankful that Yes are still delighting audiences after 40 years; I can’t wait for the new album!

Edited by Adams Bolero - November 28 2009 at 18:44
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 12:50
Great review!
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 15:55
Two and a half hours? Wow, that's nice. I wish they hadn't made the tickets so expensive...
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 12:30
Here is a video of the end of South Side of the Sky!
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 19:54
Photos please
jon 89
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 17:03
Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

Great review!

Hear! Hear!

I saw them in London after dithering a while about whether to go to this tour (I've seen at least one show on every tour since they started touring again in the late 90's).  I wasn't feeling that enthusiastic on the night when I set off because I don't live in London and the journey turns it into a late night. I felt I was going more out of a sense of duty than anything.  But it was great!  I loved hearing the Drama songs live for the first time, and Astral Traveller.  I know Yes so well that I tend not to play their albums much these days (I go through phases) so I even enjoyed hearing the old chestnuts like Roundabout.

I know this line up has come in for some stick but I thought they pulled it off admirably.  I'll leave the debates about whether they should call themselves Yes to others - I am only grateful for the opportunity to hear this music live and so well-performed in 2009 (something I could only dream about as a teenage Yes fan in the early 80's!).
Bob
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 15:03
wow i was a bit irritated when i read that im not going to hear anderson but benoit singing next monday in munich, but im totally looking forward to this evening! Smile
It's just a ride... <3
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 12:47
I decided not to go to see the Yes show, and then, last Sunday before the gig there was a competition on polish prog website and I've entered it, answered five not so difficult question and won not only a ticket but also a pass to see the band after the show. And so I've seen Yes in Katowice on 30 th October.

They've played for two hours, mostly the tracks that are not often played, like South Side Of The Sky. And for a single moment I was not missing Jon Anderson nor Rick Wakeman. Oliver is really accomplished player and composer of his own (even if his style is similar to father's it is for the good of the band). Benoit is a very good singer, his voice's pitch is similar to Jon's, but lacking a bit of Jon's depth and power. Well, Jon's voice is also not as strong as it used to be.
But what striken me was that the band without Jon's burden is much more balanced and it really seemed much more like a rock gig of excellent band than the celebration of don't know what. With Jon it was all so high and heavy. Now they are just enjoying their music - especially Steve, heart and soul of the band. It is true, he was never so relaxed during the shows, to the point of faking conducting the band during the choral part of South Side Of The Sky. Nevertheless, they have maintainted the brilliance of their performance.

After the show there was a meeting with the band (with the exception of Steve), and so I ended with my CDs signed and pictures with Chris and Benoit.
yet you still have time!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 21:53
They played South Side of the Sky? Damn, I'm jelous. They didn't play that when I saw them in Mexico City and it's one of my favourite songs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 13:05
Here is a video of Machine Messiah!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 18:22
Ok.. well,

don´t know how to start.. it must be more like WOW with a ton of awesomeness and ingeniousness...
i was just witnessing the yes show in munich 3h ago Big smile

the concert was much better than i expected due to the lack of anderson but the new singer really surprised me positively! couldn´t imagine a better man for this job.

the guys were powerful and really had fun with us, the crowd although small was in a very good mood.
awesome show!

Thumbs Up

It's just a ride... <3
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 13:01

Here is Steve playing Classical Gas:

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 07:41
Great review indeed!

I felt like I was there. I wish I had been I was going to go to their show at the Hammersmith Appollo, but had other committments that night. It's good to know that Benoit is filling Andersons boots admirably.

I know Jon's been sick for some time. Does anyone have an update on his condition?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 17:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Great review indeed!

I felt like I was there. I wish I had been I was going to go to their show at the Hammersmith Appollo, but had other committments that night. It's good to know that Benoit is filling Andersons boots admirably.

I know Jon's been sick for some time. Does anyone have an update on his condition?
I think Jon is much better now; he recently played a few solo gigs in Canada.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 17:35
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Great review indeed!

I think Jon is much better now; he recently played a few small gigs in Canada.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 08:56
^^ That's good news. Thanks for that. I've never seen yes in any of their manifestations. Next time!!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 03:14
then he could have joined their tour -.- damn! ^^

but they were great! also without him...
It's just a ride... <3
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 13:16
That's a great review, and it is also on a par in terms of comments regarding Benoit that I read on the net yesterday. The majority of comments about him have been quite complimentary.

I did not go to see them - the first UK Yes tour I have missed since the 1970's. I did view a few YouTube videos yesterday, and although I am aware that it is not the same as the live experience, I have to say that my own personal taste was that I made the right decision not to go.

It is simply not the same without Anderson, and Wakeman, IMHO, was absolutely right when he said that JA was far more than one fifth of the band.

I know a lot of people disagree with me, and I'm so glad that those who went enjoyed. Without Anderson, it's not for me though.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rockinreject View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2009 at 18:30
Hmmm... Does anyone know what the story was about this show being recorded?

It Seems that 'Concert Online' Recorded every other tour Date Bar the Dublin one... I was waiting to see if it was just slow being uploaded, but they have the show before and after the Dublin one now.

Any Thoughts?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 10:35
Originally posted by rockinreject rockinreject wrote:

Hmmm... Does anyone know what the story was about this show being recorded?

It Seems that 'Concert Online' Recorded every other tour Date Bar the Dublin one... I was waiting to see if it was just slow being uploaded, but they have the show before and after the Dublin one now.

Any Thoughts?
I asked them about the Dublin concert and they said that it couldn't be recorded because their wasn't place to put their recording equipment. Apparently it's the Olympia Theatre fault not concert online.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>