Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMick Pointer's Marillion European Tour Dates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mick Pointer's Marillion European Tour Dates
    Posted: December 03 2009 at 09:48

Mick Pointer’s Marillion

Xmas Party!
Script for a Jester’s Tour

Formed and named by Mick Pointer in 1979, EMI later signed the classic line-up of MARILLION that wrote the PLATINUM selling debut album “Script for a Jesters Tear”. Released in 1983, the album featured the Top 40 hits “He Knows You Know” and “Garden Party” and is regarded by many as a modern classic of the progressive rock genre.
This tour faithfully recreates the energy and drama of the original “Recital of the Script” tour that took the UK by storm in the early 80's. Fans can expect to hear the remarkable “Script for a Jesters Tear” album performed in its entirety together with tracks such as "Market Square Heroes" and the cult favourite "Grendel".

26.11.09 UK - Liverpool - Olde Red Lion www.olderedlion.co.uk/
06.12.09 UK - Dudley - JB´s www.jbsdudley.co.uk/
14.12.09 SP - Barcelona - Bikini www.bikinibcn.com
15.12.09 CH - Pratteln - Z7 www.z-7.ch
16.12.09 GER - Aschaffenburg - Colos Saal www.colos-saal.de/
17.12.09 GER - Cologne - Live Music Hall www.livemusichall.de/
18.12.09 NL - Uden - De Pul  www.depul-uden.nl/

19.12.09 NL-Zoetermeer-Boerderij
www.cultuurpodiumboerderij.nl/

Edited by rose noire - December 03 2009 at 09:52
Wagner
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 10:44
Interesting choice of name.

Who else from Marillion is in the group?
What do the current Marillion line up feel about Mick's use of the name?
Did Mick really form Marillion and name them? Wasn't it a band effort?
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 16:21
^They're actually touring under the band name of Script For A Jester's Tour. I know for a FACT that Mick Pointer didn't form Marillion... He was a FOUNDING member, but Rothery was around long before (and obviously after) him and contributed far more to the band...And don't worry about them attempting to do what Marillion did in '83.... They simply can't pull it off.

I honestly think I could sing Grendel better. He doesn't even get the vocal rhythm. Fish also had (and still has) about 2 feet on this guy. Really doesn't work.
rose noire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 01:05
Ok... you need to see this show so like that you will know what the hell you are talking about.... Before talking get the right facts, YES Mick Pointer form the Band that Rothery, Trewavas, Kelly and FIsh joined. This band was formed by Doug Irvin and Mick Pointer long before the rest did... and for the name also it's a Mick Pointer too. Sorry to be a pain but before your put your opinion on something get the facts right. Electric Gypsy say something to you? because this is the band that made Marillion in the first place... hahahahah!
I like peeps who have too much to say and don't mean a thing....  Don't forget that if this guys didn't play in there garage at the age of 19 don't think that  any Marillion would exist today...
Wagner
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 01:12
I just find it rather disappointing that Mick Pointer is putting his energy into something like this. I don't see why he wouldn't continue his work with Arena, which was fantastic, and to me, seems a lot more constructive than replicating a concert from the early 80's.
EDIT:
I didn't mean to come of as rude or offensive; I have nothing but massive respect for Mick and his contributions to Marillion, Arena, and the world of prog rock, but I just really don't like the idea of this project. I mean, Marillion are still alive and touring now, and it seems a little silly to tour an album from 25 years ago with only one of the original members. I know it's to celebrate the album, but I can't help but see this as a less majestic version of the original for those who missed it/weren't alive to see it (like myself). I imagine the atmosphere of the shows has a lot to do with the quality, and obviously that can't experience that through videos of the shows.

Edited by progkidjoel - December 05 2009 at 01:27
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 03:18
Rose, could you clarify the use of the name "Mick Pointer's Marillion" in your first post. Is that an official name for the tour, or one you are using for convenience?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 17:35
I/m sorry for snipping, but...

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I'm in tears ... from chuckling so much. LOL  That is so bad it's awesome. 
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Cifrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 15:51
Well, here's what I think.  I'm an original Marillion fan from '83 and I loved this band from the first day I heard them.  Seen them on tour in several different cities across the years, both Marillion and Fish.

The fans could never get enough of the old songs, from before the band split up, but both the Hogarth Marillion and Fish solo always ignored requests for things like Grendel.  That's fine, they wanted to look forward and get on with their careers.  This also means they don't place much importance on things like Grendel.

Yet there is still a huge, old fanbase that loves that stuff, so why shouldn't Mick Pointer cater to them, afterall he was there to help create it all.  I think it's fantastic.

You say this singer can't hold a candle to Fish's version of Grendel?  Well guess what, even Fish can't hold a candle to Fish's version because his voice has all but conked out on him in recent years thanks to relentless smoking.

From a diehard loyal fan of everything Marillion, past and present, I say it's ok, let Mick do this for us, I appreciate it.  Think of it as a tribute band.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 15:55
^I half agree with you, but I don't know why anyone would go to these shows - Marillion still play the odd Fish tune, and Fish still plays loads of Marillion tunes... Even though his voice is half of what it used to be, it still has the same basic sound, and I still enjoy it.... I prefer it to the guy in the video. I mean, it seems really pointless to go a show like this to see an awful version of a great song, purely because you can't really see this song live any more at all.

Edited by progkidjoel - December 08 2009 at 15:58
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 07:17

^I half agree with you, but I don't know why anyone would go to these shows - Marillion still play the odd Fish tune, and Fish still plays loads of Marillion tunes... Even though his voice is half of what it used to be, it still has the same basic sound, and I still enjoy it.... I prefer it to the guy in the video. I mean, it seems really pointless to go a show like this to see an awful version of a great song, purely because you can't really see this song live any more at all.

Why are you trying to kill it then? if you don't have good things to say I thing it's time that you stop rubbishing  it... no? you told me that you didn't want to be rude and that you respect Mick Pointer's work... hummm I am a bit curious to know what is your motive behind this... I can understand if you don't accept or don't like it but it has a big portion of fans who love it... and you are spoiling it for them. Have you seen the show first? or you are making your opinion on some bad video on youtube?

I have seen Fish show  last year and I can tell you it was so bad I wouldn't pay ever again to see that!
Wagner
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 07:20
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Rose, could you clarify the use of the name "Mick Pointer's Marillion" in your first post. Is that an official name for the tour, or one you are using for convenience?
the name of this tour I was told is Mick Pointer's Marillion Script for a Jester's tour but it to official I don't know...
Wagner
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 07:22
Originally posted by rose noire rose noire wrote:

Why are you trying to kill it then? if you don't have good things to say I thing it's time that you stop rubbishing  it... no? you told me that you didn't want to be rude and that you respect Mick Pointer's work... hummm I am a bit curious to know what is your motive behind this... I can understand if you don't accept or don't like it but it has a big portion of fans who love it... and you are spoiling it for them. Have you seen the show first? or you are making your opinion on some bad video on youtube?

I have seen Fish show  last year and I can tell you it was so bad I wouldn't pay ever again to see that!

I respect Mick Pointer massively, as I said, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy/praise everything he works on. For the majority, I have, will and do, but I can't get behind this project. I'm not trying to "kill" it, or spoil it for the fans of the tour/group.
The only 'motive' I have is to express an opinion.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 07:02
ok I accept that is your opinion... but when I look at your signature it says " Very, very few musicians have the courage and conviction to play from their hearts"
but that is What Mick Pointer is doing whit this project? Fun and from his Heart?
hahahahahha!
anyway!
Wagner
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 14:17

Originally posted by rose noire rose noire wrote:

I respect Mick Pointer massively, as I said, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy/praise everything he works on. For the majority, I have, will and do, but I can't get behind this project. I'm not trying to "kill" it, or spoil it for the fans of the tour/group.
The only 'motive' I have is to express an opinion.

I agree with everything that Joel has said. This, to me, is an utterly pointless (Pointerless?) exercise, and no more than a second rate tribute band.

If you want the real Marillion experience, go see the band now, or Fish when he tours next.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 15:48
I don't really understand that comment........... I don't really want to get embroiled into a squabble, but "second rate tribute band" ???

Surely a tribute band is made up from musicians other than the original, if you were really negatively against it you could only say 80% of it was a tribute.......... and I don't really think the other members of the line up are "second rate" ??? Ermm

I totally get that this isn't going to be everyones cuppa, but for those that enjoy the early Marill material it's a darn good show, it's great fun and it doesn't take itself too seriously whilst having some top notch musicians in the line up. 

It was certainly the perfect way to close Loreley this year, a couple of thousand people who had spent the weekend slurping beer and had just about been progged to the max, the sun went down, the lights came up and as a farewell to the festival everyone joined together and sang their heads off, marvellous stuff!

A LOT of people are enjoying this show, most of those people are on a night out with old friends, on a nostalgia trip and are having FUN, not everything has to be deathly serious!  But to call it "second rate" is simply unfair.

Wx
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 19:57
Pity John Rutsey's not alive. I think he could pull of Rush's debut album far better than Lee, Lifeson and Peart. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2009 at 02:48
oh blimey, I don't think they are doing it "better"  I don't see this show as a replacement for Marillion or for Fish, it's an "as well as" and one that's fun!
I've seen Fish this year (brilliant) and I've seen Marillion this year (accoustic)  It's not a case of only wanting/liking blue smarties, I like them all, they all do VERY different things!

Approve
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2009 at 12:01
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

oh blimey, I don't think they are doing it "better"  I don't see this show as a replacement for Marillion or for Fish, it's an "as well as" and one that's fun!
I've seen Fish this year (brilliant) and I've seen Marillion this year (accoustic)  It's not a case of only wanting/liking blue smarties, I like them all, they all do VERY different things!

Approve

No squabble from me, either. All I will say, to close this part of the thread, is I'm glad you enjoyed - that really is all that matters at the end of the day. It's just not to my taste, and I was at The Marquee watching the band before anyone had ever heard of them.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply