Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 11:45
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Anything with the late Helmut Koellen on it (Triumvirat, Jail, solo album)
          All of his music is a constant source of meaning and inspiration for me
He didn't actually write any of the music for Triumvirat. I wouldn't call it "his"
Just before the intro to the live track of "The Deadly Dream Of Freedom", Jurgen Fritz introduces the song as "written by our guitar player, Mr. Helmut Koellen" On the notes for the 2002 remastered Spartacus cd, Helmut is listed as a part composer for tracks 4,7, and 11.
         On "Illusions On A Double Dimple", Koellen is part composer for the track "Lucky Girl", and the single track from that period called "Timothy". In some cases, it is lyrics only, but i still call the writing and singing of lyrics part of the music. Even if he was never a direct composer himself at all of what he played, his unique and spirited way of playing music makes it at least partially "his".
Fair enough, but I sometimes think it too easy to label the lead vocalist the driving force behind a band, just because they're always in the spotlight.
Thanks for your reply. I guess i never meant to say that Helmut Koellen was the "main driving force" behind Triumvirat, but just part of the whole.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 13:46
Radiohead.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 13:57
Make A Rising 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 15:14
Embarrassed
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I decided not to have a life this afternoon and for some reason got hooked on youtube watching Rush videos. Now, I'm no Rush fanatic but I went through a Rush stage around 2112 and this lasted until Exit stage left, well no the Signals album and I've also seen them about 6 or 7 times. After watching everything from Garden Road from Caress Of Steel to Far Cry from Snakes and Arrows I could relate to all the Rush heads that are here. 

I guess Jethro Tull is the band that can do no wrong for me since they have been at it since I started listening to all this wacked out music back in the early 70s. I have every tull album and actually listen to the less popular albums more than say, Minstrel, Aqualung or TAAB. Among my faves are J.Tull.Com, Roots To Branches and Heavy Horses althpough I can listen to the whole JT catologue sraight through ! Yes man, every single track Big smile .

So I pose this solemn question : 

What' s the band that can do no wrong for you?
  EmbarrassedFirstly,there is no "Garden Road'  on Caress of Steel.The song is 'Lakeside Park' and obviously you've never been a Rush fanatic like you said you weren't.It is not an obscure song either,but just the opposite,an important Rush song which helped usher in the "golden" age of Rush.With the additional help of Neil Peart's superb drumming and serious style lyrics the band create a whole new genre of rock music-progressive classical heavy metal.It was able to reproduce a bright,new,freer,wider,more melodic sound with a much wider range of dynamics previously attemted while still using the standard Les Paul thru Mashall-Stack distortion sound and Rickenbacher bass and a double-bass drum full set plus.Using the standard super-power trio set-up for the time they showed everyone how it could be used for something other than full-distortion heavy metal playing while using it for FDHMP within the same song quite naturally.Lakeside Park was an important song as it also appeared on their 1st live album also.The song was one of the 1st to demostrate the classic new Rush stlye which has gone on understanbly to become one of the most popular styles in the world,having seen Rush ranked as the 3rd most popular band in the world on a very,very recent poll.
     There certainly is no such thing as the perfect band! In fact ,evidence to the contrary,let's say,the last 1 million most popular rock bands proves that out EVERYTIME.There is a beginning period for every band of course,the best bands will go through a high creative period where almost all their best music comes from,and then they burn out,usually quickly or sometimes very slowly.Sometimes bands that have burned out will manage to catch a 2nd wind because of some good circumstances,make a comeback and go through a 2nd golden period.Occasionally the 2nd golden period will exceed their 1st.When this happens the music itself will often be very exciting,but this is a rare phenomenon.The 1981 live Rush,Exit stage Left symbolizes the end of Rush's Golden Period(which came and gone during the 70's).
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 18:04
A band that can do no wrong? Dream Theater and every related project from a current aor ex band member.

Let the hatred begin!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 18:38
^Headbanger
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 18:46
Originally posted by idoownu idoownu wrote:

Beatles
Gentle Giant (yes including there later commercial stuff)
Moon Safari
Mike Oldfield (amazing sense of melody)
Miles Davis
U2
Pink Floyd
Richard Strauss (not really a band but whatever, a good composer :))
Robert Wyatt

And thats just off of the top of my head :)

Are we the same person? Oh wait, U2, I guess not.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 19:02
Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

^Headbanger

I sense we have a somewhat similar taste in progressive metal. Do you also own every single release DT has evern put out? LOL
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 19:43
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

^Headbanger

I sense we have a somewhat similar taste in progressive metal. Do you also own every single release DT has evern put out? LOL

....maybe Embarrassed

LOL yes, and even a number of bootlegs too
Gyges View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 20:11
I can't think of a single group where I truly love more than half of their songs, and that would include groups with only one or two albums.  

The only artist who would come close to meeting that criteria for me would be Chopin.  

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 20:21
As far as meeting this criteria in classical music, for me, it would be the composer Anton Bruckner.
       All of his music is a profoundly moving experience for me
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 00:41
Angry

A band that can do no wrong? Dream Theater and every related project from a current aor ex band member.

Let the hatred begin!
AngryYea,I'm so glad you brought those over-rated guys up.They recently played "their"version of a Rush song,infact it followed the song brought up that the guy on the last post so horrendously mis-spelled,Lakeside Park,not Garden Party or whatever he called it,on the same important progressive album,Caress of Steel.The next song is more appropriately titled a musical work being made up of a series of songs that are tied together both musically and lryically.So far I have never heard anyone try to do this fabulous work even though it's been around since 1975,and I'm still waiting.Now when someone says that they are going to play their version of a song,as opposed to just saying that they are going to play a song,what that most commonly means is that the song they are going to attempt to play but cannot because it is too difficult for them and don't want to admit it,but want to accredit this song triumphantly to their list of songs anyway.And they know,this being a music form built up upon the musically ignorant massess at the lower levels to sustain it ,know there will automatically be more than enough suckers out there to believe the story about their error-laiden version where they play all the simple parts everytime,but they decide that they only want to ever do is change alll the most difficult parts everytime into a watereddown much easier passage of their own.In otherwords,THEY CAN'T PLAY IT.THE SONG IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR THEM.(or even perhaps they are just being lazy which is even worse and showing very little respect fot he band whose difficult song they choose out of reverence supposedly).Upon 1st discovering that Dream Theatre was going to play the 12 and a half minute prog epic The Necromancer,I was very elated and thought I was going to hear someone else besides Rush play this most difficult work finally after all these decades,afterall I had heard a Dream Theatre album where the band picked out a bunch of well known moderately difficult songs like Achilles Last Stand,etc. and were able to play them right,so I had some respect for their taste and level of musicianship,but after I witnessed them play the "our own version" game on The Necromancer,one of my favorite Rush songs,and they played the game to the limit!Yech! I have no more respect for these want-to-be Justin Bieber Fairies-Wear - Booters EVER AGAIN.What's so great about the original Rush song is how all the mountains of fast and also lightning fast lead guitar lines are woven through-out a simple dark set of chords making the song not simple at all,but very difficult to play.But do these w**ks play even 1 authentic fast Rush lead?Hell No! They simply play all the easy slow chords,have someone sing the lyrics(that can't hold a candle to Geddy),and that is all and the only similarities you'll hear  between Rush's great song and Dream Theatre's fiasco,something any garage band anywhere could do.The only difference is that even garage bands over these last 35 years have scruples as I have never heard one insult Rush with their version publicly.But Dream Theatre seem to think that their big prog name made it o.k. to trash this masterpiece and call it Their version.And it's not like we haven't heard this same song and dance con game played for ages already,but in D.T.'s mind ,a big prog name means you get to trash big bands and get away with it.So all you now are is big trash D.T.
juandhaltrich View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 00:57
king crimson. they dont make an album unless it's necessary, so that kinda narrows it down. even their poorest album is decent.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 05:38
Angry
Originally posted by juandhaltrich juandhaltrich wrote:

king crimson. they dont make an album unless it's necessary, so that kinda narrows it down. even their poorest album is decent.
AngryEven their poorest album is decent?Who do you think you're kiddinig?Go to your biggest new&used cd store.I don't think there is any other band that has more obscure different cds than the store can't get rid of than Crimson under their miselaneous King Crimson & related card file( 2 rows at Ameboa in San Francisco).And maybe the reason that Robert Fripp decided to re-start the band those many years after USA,was because by that time rock music in general had made such a huge drop in quality that it was a lock to be sucessful looking at the competition.And we don't have to go there.We can find their 1st total flop of an album right within their 1st 7 core albums ever released and that WAS their Golden Age.They had a comeback in the early 80's,more commercially sucessful maybe ,but it did not surpass their original Golden Age musically,And all the best cds and double cds that were released since then were old concert tapes recorded during their GA ,usually around 73 and 74.Now back to their 1st true undeniable musical flop.Their 1st 7 core studio albums also had 2 live cds that were dispersed among them.The last one USA ,was to a live album as was their 1st studio album,sounded flawless from beginning to end.The other earlier live album wasn't even released in the US at 1st,very understandably so.Here we have KC riding the huge wave that was prog music at the time.This fluke of theirs made it all the way to no.8 on the Virgin Top 30,but of course that had nothing to do with ELP at no. 1 with Trilogy,Jethro Tull at no.2 with Living in the Past,and Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds at no. 5 ,all that same exact week.But of course ,you hard-core fans will forever convince yourselves that this album made it there by it's own merit.Why did they split right after this album,leaving Fripp to have to start all over and put a new band together with all new members?It was almost a full year later until Fripp was to record with a whole new band in the studio to record what was to be one of their best records,Larks.All that's left to do is to name this assault on the human senses,Earthbound.It wasn't that this album suffered from poor taste,it suffered from having no taste at all.It begins with the 1st,worst rendition of Schizoid Man,of course,a song with over 50 renditions thereafter over the decades,and then the rest of the album sounds as if it's one big long solo of guitar competeing against saxapnone solos,and unfortunatly Mel Collins has the alto,tenor,and baritone saxes to work with,so you get to hear 3 times as much sax soloing as guitar.And this is not good improvisation,but endless,mindless tasteless,purposeless meandering,all at the same volume till the end,all striking at the same idea,ceaselessly,uncaring seemingly never-ending,and that idea would be...randomness.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 06:33
^Chil man.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 07:14
Originally posted by rematpac rematpac wrote:

Angry

Let the hatred begin!
AngryYea,I'm so glad you brought those over-rated guys up.They recently played "their"version of a Rush song,infact it followed the song brought up that the guy on the last post so horrendously mis-spelled,Lakeside Park,not Garden Party or whatever he called it,on the same important progressive album,Caress of Steel.The next song is more appropriately titled a musical work being made up of a series of songs that are tied together both musically and lryically.So far I have never heard anyone try to do this fabulous work even though it's been around since 1975,and I'm still waiting.Now when someone says that they are going to play their version of a song,as opposed to just saying that they are going to play a song,what that most commonly means is that the song they are going to attempt to play but cannot because it is too difficult for them and don't want to admit it,but want to accredit this song triumphantly to their list of songs anyway.And they know,this being a music form built up upon the musically ignorant massess at the lower levels to sustain it ,know there will automatically be more than enough suckers out there to believe the story about their error-laiden version where they play all the simple parts everytime,but they decide that they only want to ever do is change alll the most difficult parts everytime into a watereddown much easier passage of their own.In otherwords,THEY CAN'T PLAY IT.THE SONG IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR THEM.(or even perhaps they are just being lazy which is even worse and showing very little respect fot he band whose difficult song they choose out of reverence supposedly).Upon 1st discovering that Dream Theatre was going to play the 12 and a half minute prog epic The Necromancer,I was very elated and thought I was going to hear someone else besides Rush play this most difficult work finally after all these decades,afterall I had heard a Dream Theatre album where the band picked out a bunch of well known moderately difficult songs like Achilles Last Stand,etc. and were able to play them right,so I had some respect for their taste and level of musicianship,but after I witnessed them play the "our own version" game on The Necromancer,one of my favorite Rush songs,and they played the game to the limit!Yech! I have no more respect for these want-to-be Justin Bieber Fairies-Wear - Booters EVER AGAIN.What's so great about the original Rush song is how all the mountains of fast and also lightning fast lead guitar lines are woven through-out a simple dark set of chords making the song not simple at all,but very difficult to play.But do these w**ks play even 1 authentic fast Rush lead?Hell No! They simply play all the easy slow chords,have someone sing the lyrics(that can't hold a candle to Geddy),and that is all and the only similarities you'll hear  between Rush's great song and Dream Theatre's fiasco,something any garage band anywhere could do.The only difference is that even garage bands over these last 35 years have scruples as I have never heard one insult Rush with their version publicly.But Dream Theatre seem to think that their big prog name made it o.k. to trash this masterpiece and call it Their version.And it's not like we haven't heard this same song and dance con game played for ages already,but in D.T.'s mind ,a big prog name means you get to trash big bands and get away with it.So all you now are is big trash D.T.

Do you expect that anyone would read all of this? 

TL;DR now in anti-DT form.LOL

Edited by CCVP - May 31 2011 at 07:15
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 07:27

Angry

Let the hatred begin!

Have you ever heard of paragraphs? This is really, really hard to read without them.
Turillazzo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 13:27
I think for me that's Elio e le Storie Tese, and i also like everything from Pink Floyd but A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

I haven't heard to the whole Demetrio Stratos discography, but i think I would like it all; the same applies to Sigur Ros.
juandhaltrich View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 13:57

Angry
Originally posted by juandhaltrich juandhaltrich wrote:

AngryEven their poorest album is decent?Who do you think you're kiddinig?Go to your biggest new&used cd store.I don't think there is any other band that has more obscure different cds than the store can't get rid of than Crimson under their miselaneous King Crimson & related card file( 2 rows at Ameboa in San Francisco).And maybe the reason that Robert Fripp decided to re-start the band those many years after USA,was because by that time rock music in general had made such a huge drop in quality that it was a lock to be sucessful looking at the competition.And we don't have to go there.We can find their 1st total flop of an album right within their 1st 7 core albums ever released and that WAS their Golden Age.They had a comeback in the early 80's,more commercially sucessful maybe ,but it did not surpass their original Golden Age musically,And all the best cds and double cds that were released since then were old concert tapes recorded during their GA ,usually around 73 and 74.Now back to their 1st true undeniable musical flop.Their 1st 7 core studio albums also had 2 live cds that were dispersed among them.The last one USA ,was to a live album as was their 1st studio album,sounded flawless from beginning to end.The other earlier live album wasn't even released in the US at 1st,very understandably so.Here we have KC riding the huge wave that was prog music at the time.This fluke of theirs made it all the way to no.8 on the Virgin Top 30,but of course that had nothing to do with ELP at no. 1 with Trilogy,Jethro Tull at no.2 with Living in the Past,and Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds at no. 5 ,all that same exact week.But of course ,you hard-core fans will forever convince yourselves that this album made it there by it's own merit.Why did they split right after this album,leaving Fripp to have to start all over and put a new band together with all new members?It was almost a full year later until Fripp was to record with a whole new band in the studio to record what was to be one of their best records,Larks.All that's left to do is to name this assault on the human senses,Earthbound.It wasn't that this album suffered from poor taste,it suffered from having no taste at all.It begins with the 1st,worst rendition of Schizoid Man,of course,a song with over 50 renditions thereafter over the decades,and then the rest of the album sounds as if it's one big long solo of guitar competeing against saxapnone solos,and unfortunatly Mel Collins has the alto,tenor,and baritone saxes to work with,so you get to hear 3 times as much sax soloing as guitar.And this is not good improvisation,but endless,mindless tasteless,purposeless meandering,all at the same volume till the end,all striking at the same idea,ceaselessly,uncaring seemingly never-ending,and that idea would be...randomness.

aghhhhh, the moment i saw how long it was, and without separations in the paragraphs, i knew i was gonna have the longest minute of my life reading this. then i read it, and you wouldnt imagine how exhausting it was! not only the fact that is a whole mass of words without any stop to another paragraph. but also, what was even more exhausting was to read the way you write. it's as boring as watching a blank piece of paper.

but going for what matters, DID YOU EVEN READ WHAT I WAS SAYING in the first place?  maybe you didnt understand that i meant king crimson's studio albums. their studio discography. i dont care about their live albums, bootlegs, compilations, whatever.
so, if you could pretty please, explain what the hell you were trying to say, i'd appreciate it.

little piece of advice: change this style of replying in threads. it's boring, SERIOUSLY.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:14

Angry

Let the hatred begin!

lol no one read that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 33>