Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 19:35
Originally posted by hobocamp hobocamp wrote:

King Crimson

Led Zeppelin

Steely Dan

Another person posted about them above so I'll third Steely Dan. In the other post he mentioned that he felt Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go are the only two that weren't amazing. I disagree with Two Against Nature as I think that albums is amazing and I like it better than Gaucho actually. I haven't listened to Everything Must Go enough to make a proper judgment but at the moment I agree that it's definitely my least favorite Steely Dan album. I also love the three Donald Fagen solo albums and I like the one solo album from Walter Becker that I own although it's my least favorite Steely Dan related album.

A few other perfect or near-perfect bands I can think of are; Ulver, Napalm Death, Dio, Jag Panzer, Amorphis, Voivod, Enslaved, Emperor, The Flaming Lips, Boris, Amebix (they only have three proper albums but there are also a few session albums as well), Sly & The Family Stone, Solefald, The Smiths, Today Is The Day, Trouble The Velvet Underground, Wire, Yob, Candlemass, Agalloch etc..
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 03:50
Originally posted by zoviet zoviet wrote:

Tangerine Dream - everything till after 1983

Not a fan of Le Parc (1985) or Underwater Sunlight (1986), eh?
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 03:53
Everything from Steven Wilson is perfect.
This night wounds time.
shacala View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 01:32
Dream Theater, John Petrucci is the man
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 01:37
Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

Magma

Agreed, though others would disagree.

akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 03:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Magma

we might be minority, but that does not mean that others are right ...
DaveyByTheSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 05:04
Although a Yes and Jethro Tull fan for the last 35 years or so, and a listener to most other bands of that ilk i can honestly say that Transatlantic would be the only band that has done no wrong in the entirety of their catalogue ( probably due to the relatively few releases though! ).
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 08:51
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Everything from Steven Wilson is perfect.

I honestly don't get the hype over Steven Wilson. I like a lot of Porcupine Tree's stuff, but some of it, and pretty much everything SW's done outside of PT just bores me. Good naptime music for me. ;-)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 11:57

Magma

Absolutely, it doesn't.  I've seen quite a bit of derision for Merci, yet I find that album highly enjoyable form start to finish. Very underrated album, I believe. I once bashed it myself before properly listening to it.  Very stupidly, I even did the same for the related Offering albums at one time, which I love.

I'd like to go further than saying Magma to say Christian Vander, but there are quite a few Christian Vander-led albums that I haven't heard outside of Magma, and I know that some of those are not highly regarded by many who have heard them, but that doesn't mean anything and I wouldn't dismiss them because of that.  I have liked every Christian Vander album I have heard -- all of the Magma and Offering (I tend to like to think of Magma/ Offering as one project), his Tristan et Iseult and To Love, and albums from his jazz groups.

Another artist that I have found very consistently enjoayble, and has done a lot of work that I love, is Robert Wyatt.  I love all of his solo albums, and alove his work  he's done work on various projects, from Soft Machine and Matching Mole to various albums he contributed to such as drumming on Ayers' Joy of a Toy, and ones he's sung on such as the Michael Mantler ones (love those albums) and on News From Babel, John Greaves' Songs, as well as Henry Cow's in Concerts.  I even enjoyed his rendition of the Monkees I'm a Believer for that Top of the Pops TV show.

It may sound like I'm getting really silly, but I'd like to hear Wyatt do a laid back version of MDK.

Another artist whose albums I like very much is Igor Wakhevitch -- love all of his albums under his name. Thierry Zaboitzeff, Alain Eckert, Daniel Denis, and Chris Cutler as some other artists names that spring to mind for me in terms of immense enjoyment from works -- not that I've heard everything they've done.

Outside of PA parameters, though  I would like to see him in PA, is Egisto Macchi, and I love so much Morricone (I have a PA member to think for turning me on to a lot of Morricone music and turning me onto Egisto Macchi, as well as a lot of other excellent music).

Back to bands: Though not  a band name in a sense, The Mwandishi players is a group of musicians that seriously impress me, and with band names in PA, I like all of the many Art Zoyd albums I have, and think all of Univers Zero's and Present's albums very good.  And of course trhere are many bands that didn't release many albums that I think uniformly excellent.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 18:27

Magma

Absolutely, it doesn't.  I've seen quite a bit of derision for Merci, yet I find that album highly enjoyable form start to finish. Very underrated album, I believe. I once bashed it myself before properly listening to it.  Very stupidly, I even did the same for the related Offering albums at one time, which I love.

I'd like to go further than saying Magma to say Christian Vander, but there are quite a few Christian Vander-led albums that I haven't heard outside of Magma, and I know that some of those are not highly regarded by many who have heard them, but that doesn't mean anything and I wouldn't dismiss them because of that.  I have liked every Christian Vander album I have heard -- all of the Magma and Offering (I tend to like to think of Magma/ Offering as one project), his Tristan et Iseult and To Love, and albums from his jazz groups.

Another artist that I have found very consistently enjoayble, and has done a lot of work that I love, is Robert Wyatt.  I love all of his solo albums, and alove his work  he's done work on various projects, from Soft Machine and Matching Mole to various albums he contributed to such as drumming on Ayers' Joy of a Toy, and ones he's sung on such as the Michael Mantler ones (love those albums) and on News From Babel, John Greaves' Songs, as well as Henry Cow's in Concerts.  I even enjoyed his rendition of the Monkees I'm a Believer for that Top of the Pops TV show.

It may sound like I'm getting really silly, but I'd like to hear Wyatt do a laid back version of MDK.

Another artist whose albums I like very much is Igor Wakhevitch -- love all of his albums under his name. Thierry Zaboitzeff, Alain Eckert, Daniel Denis, and Chris Cutler as some other artists names that spring to mind for me in terms of immense enjoyment from works -- not that I've heard everything they've done.

Outside of PA parameters, though  I would like to see him in PA, is Egisto Macchi, and I love so much Morricone (I have a PA member to think for turning me on to a lot of Morricone music and turning me onto Egisto Macchi, as well as a lot of other excellent music).

Back to bands: Though not  a band name in a sense, The Mwandishi players is a group of musicians that seriously impress me, and with band names in PA, I like all of the many Art Zoyd albums I have, and think all of Univers Zero's and Present's albums very good.  And of course trhere are many bands that didn't release many albums that I think uniformly excellent.

Merci is a very good album, different than rest of Magma material but I love it. Some Vander albums I find not so good and there are few I haven´t even heard, but I just ordered his latest one L´hommage supreme, which sounded excellent. Wyatt is one of the greatest artists on earth! I haven´t found cd versions of those Mantler albums featuring Wyatt at reasonable prize, especially looking for The Hapless Child and Silence + Mason´s Fictitious Sports. 

In your message there are some totally new names to me, thanks!, Have to check them. Lately I ave been listening Jocelyn Pook and Universal Totem Orchestra. Also Magma, Wyatt, Hatfield And The North, National Health. And I think there´s something totally wrong if someone don´t like Kevin Ayers Smile

But, thanks for recommendations!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 18:53
Bands can do no wrong.  In the end it is all the fault of those that love them.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 18:58
Cervello
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 19:01
I suspect a lot of people who say that Magma's "Merci" is terrible probably haven't listened to more than a few minutes of it.  It's a nice album.  I really love the Bobino 1981 live release from around that time too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 22:27
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Bands can do no wrong.  In the end it is all the fault of those that love them.

...and success ( as well as its absence ) is the fault of the listeners/buyers LOL !

Well, I'm sure that bands are supposed to do wrong because they are no single artists.
Only single artists ( like me, f.e. ) can not do any wrong.
As long as they don't have such superfluous things as "producers" to spoil their original vision
and subtract the genuine emotions from the music for the sake of other unnecessary things such as
"record-sales" ( the way that they themselves as well as record-companies think they  must be achieved ) Tongue !

( BTW: I love your funny comments ! )

Edited by rupert - March 24 2012 at 22:32
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 21:39
Very few don't flounder. The bands with albums I loved the most, at least those with more than 2 albums, eventually release dogs.  The one that comes to mind is Canvas Solaris. 5 outstanding albums before disbanding.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 01:51
Rush is my favorite band. I grew up listening to them and even though some of thier albums are a little weak, I can't say I dislike any of them.
Nanook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 20:59

Put me down for Jethro Tull / Ian Anderson. I've liked every thing the man has put out. I had to laugh when the comedian David Spade asked about iPods, "Do you have to have the entire Jethro Tull collection in your hand?" or words to that effect. 

My iPod is loaded with everything I have by Tull / Anderson. LOL

Pink Floyd is close for me, I just can't get into The Final Cut. Peter Gabriel is another one for me, if he releases a disc, I buy it instantly. 

A guilty pleasure of mine is Kansas. Some may say they're not progressive, some say they are. I love their work and think they are underrated by most critics. 

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.    
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:32
Led Zeppelin
Porcupine Tree
Radiohead
Opeth
The Beatles

Never let me down...ever
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Presleytte View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 14:05
Avis aux fans de Michel PETRUCCIANI

bonjour, J'ai des documents sur ce musicien à échanger contre Elvis et Lisa Marie Presley, Riley Keough (actrice, top model), Juliette Greco, Jamiroquai/Jay Kay, Queen, Elise Lucet (TV), Jean-Marie Cavada (TV/député européen), Noa, Colin Firth, Tony Shalhoub (Monk), Rolando Villazon, Halle Berry (couverture/1 page), Kenneth Branagh, John Lithgow, Naomi Campbell (couverture/1 page) et CP coucher du soleil.

J'attends 1 mois pour avoir au moins 1 réponse. Merci d'avance et à bientôt. Salutations.

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 14:10
^ Parle Anglaise, s'il vous plait.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 12 2012 at 14:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 33>