FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands That Can Do No Wrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 15:50
Originally posted by Stardust Stardust wrote:

The Beatles and Iron Maiden. If it weren't for Calling All Stations, Genesis would have been a flawless band.

Oh, right! We Can't Dance was a real crowd pleaser. Have only heard one track from Calling All Stations, and it blew away all that was on that turkey. Hold On My Heart indeed!
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 17:07

The Beatles and Iron Maiden. If it weren't for Calling All Stations, Genesis would have been a flawless band.

Totally agree. The other 80s Genesis weren't as terrible as people make them out to be, and I can see what they were doing, but I hate Calling All Stations. Can't see who could have possibly rated it 5 stars Confused Plus, their debut is awesome Tongue
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 17:52
How can you call any band that brought us Abacab, s/t, Invisible Touch, We Can Dance & Calling All Stations, flawless? It's not a question of "there are some good tracks on those", or "I quite like that one", we are talking flawless, i.e. without any flaws, nada, zero, kapput.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Rihanna View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 03:10
I say Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin they cant write bad music atleast 90% of the  time perfect!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 07:25
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

How can you call any band that brought us Abacab, s/t, Invisible Touch, We Can Dance & Calling All Stations, flawless? It's not a question of "there are some good tracks on those", or "I quite like that one", we are talking flawless, i.e. without any flaws, nada, zero, kapput.

Have to agree with this, why are we still using the curate's egg argument to defend the indefensible?:

Parts of it are excellent etc

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 13:32

Abacab really can't be lumped in with those others. It was a gallant reimagining of the band that was esoterically packed with enough energy and execution to give it some measure of excellence over all that followed. Sure, No Reply at All blew (not just the Phoenix horns), and Dodo/Lurker was a clumsy attempt at reviving prog roots, but the rest of it found a magnificent groove and stayed there. Thank you, Mike, Phil, and Tony for your strivings toward flawlessness.
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 06:43
The Beatles - I like every single song from every single album. The only perfect career I can think of. Come on, they deserved it.
Gentle Giant - 97% of it is great. I even like Giant for a Day and Civilian. "So Sincere" is the biggest flop.
Supertramp - 95% of what they did is fantastic, even the albums without Roger (Aries is surely part of the 5%).
Genesis and Pink Floyd - Mostly great stuff, but they had some minor flaws (Calling All Stations is an example for the first and The Final Cut for the second)
Yes - Most of their discography is outstanding, but I think they've had more flaws than the others mentioned. Big Generator and Open Your Eyes are examples of inconsistent albums. And hey... I don't even consider Union an album...

And so on...

If we were not talking about Prog exclusively, then I would add about 10 bands that I also love. The Who and ABBA would be some of them !
Symphonic Prog Master
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 07:39
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

T
Genesis and Pink Floyd - Mostly great stuff, but they had some minor flaws (Calling All Stations is an example for the first and The Final Cut for the second)
Yes - Most of their discography is outstanding, but I think they've had more flaws than the others mentioned. Big Generator and Open Your Eyes are examples of inconsistent albums. And hey... I don't even consider Union an album...

i.e.not flawless, sorry for being pedantic but this is starting to irritate me.

Supertramp is not a bad pick for their fans, personally I can't stand Famous Last Words but that's my personal tastes.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 11:36

Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

T

i.e.not flawless, sorry for being pedantic but this is starting to irritate me.

Supertramp is not a bad pick for their fans, personally I can't stand Famous Last Words but that's my personal tastes.

Exactly, they are not flawless. I didn't say they were, so I see no contradiction in my comment. The only flawless band I know is The Beatles. Nonetheless, GG, Supertramp, Genesis, Yes and Pink Floyd are still very enjoyable bands.
Symphonic Prog Master
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:06
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Oh, right! We Can't Dance was a real crowd pleaser. Have only heard one track from Calling All Stations, and it blew away all that was on that turkey. Hold On My Heart indeed!

Actually, We Can't Dance was a huge crowd pleaser. It's their highest selling album.
I see your point though cause to most fans of Prog music this album is a real nasty sip of wine.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 16:06
^ We Can't Dance is a good album. Sure it's mainstream and commercial, yarda yarda yarda, but I could rate Fading Lights up there with their best. Dreaming While You Sleep was also pretty good. Far from 'flawless' though. Very few Genesis albums are flawless.....
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 16:12
No such band exists for me, because every band has made missteps at some point (they all do), but, as with anything, it all comes down to preferences and what you enjoy.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 17:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ We Can't Dance is a good album. Sure it's mainstream and commercial, yarda yarda yarda, but I could rate Fading Lights up there with their best. Dreaming While You Sleep was also pretty good. Far from 'flawless' though. Very few Genesis albums are flawless.....

Yeah, I mean I really like Driving The Last Spike and No Son of Mine and recently 'Jesus he knows me' has oddly grown on me cause of its ridiculously catchy chorus, and the song is quite humorous. The video is a scream.

I will say one thing though. A Trick Of The Tail can do no wrong with me. It's absolutely flawless in my opinion. Still my favourite from them. A very special album. :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 18:20
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Yeah, I mean I really like Driving The Last Spike and No Son of Mine and recently 'Jesus he knows me' has oddly grown on me cause of its ridiculously catchy chorus, and the song is quite humorous. The video is a scream.

I will say one thing though. A Trick Of The Tail can do no wrong with me. It's absolutely flawless in my opinion. Still my favourite from them. A very special album. :)
Agree whole-heartedly (Trick = Flawless) and agree again with your thoughts of WCD (best album since Duke). If side 2 of the 'Shapes' album was the quality of the first side, there would be tough competition......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:02

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Agree whole-heartedly (Trick = Flawless) and agree again with your thoughts of WCD (best album since Duke). If side 2 of the 'Shapes' album was the quality of the first side, there would be tough competition......

Awe Tom. Agreed on all counts, GENESIS '83 did spin off from pure greatness in the 2nd half. Just a job to do doesn't hold a lot of water for me.
However, what do you think of the Invisible Touch album? You know, I really quite the full version of 'Tonight tonight tonight. The lyrics are amazing and Phil sings very well in a rapid-spit fire form on parts of that track that I really enjoy.
I think most of us here, on PA maybe surprised when upon listening to that album again. Maybe go for a ''Brazilian' or something. Bah ha hah!! Oh but brutal album cover. So brutal. I think a third grader with Down syndrome coukd have put that album cover to shame. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:17
Well as some of my good friends know here on PA, that I've been on quite the Fields Of The Nephilim kick these last couple of months and I know they are not listed on PA, but their music does carry quite a bit of a progressive attitude with in the goth rock genre. My feeling is that The Fields Of The Nephilim can do absolutely 'no wrong with me and I very much urge and encourage people here to discover just what they bring to the table.
In my opinion, the 3 best albums to jump into would be "ELYZUIM"--1990
The album's production is incredible. Former sound engineer Andy Jackson takes care of the Nephilim very well here.
Album #2 is Mourning Sun. 7 tracks of some of the most hauntingly beautiful, sweet music one can ever here with in the gothic rock/metal genre. Hard not to love this one. ;)
Lastly. Ceremonies. This is a double live album done in 2009 that really shows just how special lead singer 'Carl McCoy' is as frontman and leader of a great a band. Ceremonies is a must and it is the last thing the Nephilim have done to date.
If you can get your hands on the box set edition with the live DVD of the concert you won't be sorry. It will sting your wallet a bit though, since the ceremonies box set is phasing out quickly.

Prog on!
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:21
Has anyone said Magma yet? If not, then I say Magma. If yes then I second whomsoever said it!

I mean, come on. Even Merci doesn't really suck. Even bloody Merci.
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 13:22
Trying to come up with a prog band that can do no wong I believe is nearly impossile because of experimantation that doesn't work or bands going the commercial route but I will go with Cynic from Fla. Strangely, I'm not impressed with Tool, perhaps because of their week musical chops. Rock bands that can do no wrong would be the Beatles and Led Zep. Both groups have only one studio album that I don't like.Approve
Timbo61 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 14:13
IQ are very nearly flawless in my eyes.
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 14:46
Originally posted by Timbo61 Timbo61 wrote:

IQ are very nearly flawless in my eyes.

This - as well as Big Big Train and Dream Theater for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>