Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrack the Skye Air or Aether (Mastodon)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crack the Skye Air or Aether (Mastodon)
    Posted: December 06 2009 at 21:45
The Alchemy Index sometimes loses itself in the concept, but overal it's quite good. Each EP has its share of great songs.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 15:35
^ cool Cool i need to check it out, it sounds like a nice musical journey
Iaksones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 13:29
I thought it was Air, myself. But this interview right here makes it pretty plain that Crack the Skye is Aether:

I've got Thrice's Alchemy Index I-IV in my library, but I honestly never listen to it. I'm re-checking it out again as I write this. Started off with Air, and I like "Daedelus" pretty well. I do remember Fire being heavy and angry, Earth being acoustic, and Water being chill and a little electronic as well.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 10:09
for many Mastodon fans it seems like a confusion to determine which element the fourth album is based upon (this is off course not the most important feature to this band the album based on an element is more founded on creating an ovearal atmosphere rather then a thematic part of the albums concept)

but wie know that Remisson is loosly based on Fire, Leviathan is based on Water and Blood Mountain is based around the element Earth, and I though along with many others that the newest album was/were suposed to be under the element of Air. but here comes the confusing part most of my information comes from WIkipedia as a source but alos interviews made by the band and album reviews. (and my own listening experiance)

it is posible that CtS is actualy based on the fifth element Eather (Space,Idea, Void) also Quintessence (which also is the titile of the 3rd song oN CtS) is also a word discribing the fith element.
as in the classical greek imagery of Four elements binded together with the fifth element (ignore the Bruce Willis film) it can also be called spirit.

it seems like Mastodon have made a change in the formula as thay jumps over the fourth element, and after judging by my own listeining experiance is actualy CtS sounds more like Aether (mostly beacouse of the space traveling and wormhole stuff but also the spiritualistic features like mystical sects and recarnation of Rasputin) then Air which means that a fifth album has yet to come not that i'm impassient (or the element thematic is important for my liking of the band) but for me it makes Mastodon more exieting as a I' m kind of interested in things sorounding myths, fantasy, magic, old mythological thematics and other philosofical stuff.

but my enthusiasme for Mastodon is partly becouse they take in the idea of mysticisme, myths, epos, adventure, fantasy themes (without sounding cheesy or Power metal ish), creating landskapes of Fire, Water, Earth and Spiritual/Eatherieal.

this may sound rubish, or raving rabling madness but it is an hounust atemt to create an interesting Mastodon thread, regarding their future, musical aproach, their uppcoming Soundtrack for a Comic hero mad film verion which they are in studio producing right now at this moment while they are not playing gigs or festivals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex_%28film%29

Ive heard of the band Thrice is that anny good The Alchemy Index

(It is also nice to mention other bands inside rock or metal that fits into this type of elemental or mysthical themes )

Edited by aginor - December 06 2009 at 13:13
 Post Reply Post Reply