Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAriel (Australian Cross-Over)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 00:09

Well that  first album, callled A Strange Fantastic Dream (1973), is not entirely consistent. Out of the 11 songs, I would say about 5 of them (Jamaican Farewell, No Encores, Garden of the Frenzied Cortinas, Chicken Sh*t, & And if it Wasn't for You) are fully prog while the rest are just quirky rock n roll.

Ariel did record a rock opera and concept album in 1974, called The Jellabad Mutant, that wasn't released until 2002. That album is completely consistent with the prog material imo. Enough so that I think The Jellabad Mutant might be more representative of their prog contributions. The album has a total of 9 songs, but only 7 of them relate to the Jellabad Mutant storyline (which are tracks 1-6 & 9, although track 8 does follow the same sound as the rest of the album while track 7 is very out of place).  Which is why I think tracks 7 and 8 were put on the cd to fill in time, for the most part.

Their third album, Rock n Roll Scars (1975), may also be more consistent then their first album (either that or my definition of prog rock is broader than most). Out of 11 from that album, I would say that most of the album (about 8 songs) is relevant to prog rock. It should be noted that half of Rock n Roll Scars contain re-recordings of past Spectrums/Indelible Murtceps songs.

Here's the eight songs I was talking about by the way:
Keep On Dancing (With Me)
Real Meanie
Men in Gray Raincoats
Launching Place Part II
We are Indelible (this one might not be all that prog, but I include it since it is one of Spectrum's best known songs)
I am the Laughing Man
What the World Needs (is a New Pair of Socks)

Now their fourth and final studio album, Goodnight Fiona (1976), would be the "weakest" of the four. Still a very great album though, but I would say that only 3 songs (Take me for a Ride, Goodnight Fiona, Redwing) would bring some interest to prog rock fans. Although the last song on the album has very good melodies, vocal arrangements, instrumentation.

So hopefully some of you will agree with my above statements and get Ariel into ProgArchives.

Edited by AmericanProgster - March 03 2010 at 11:45
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 23:04
 ^ good to know, if there's a chance you could zip me a file of their more prog material - strictly for evaluation purposes - that'd be ideal.. if the other albums are as you say, that will help their chances, even this horrifying disco cut [a single from '77] has tinges of progrock, clearly a band that was into prog but just as into selling albums ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKBSj2KKWM&feature=related

AmericanProgster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 11:45
Haha, yeah no problem. Unfortunately, though, thats not the only disco styled song Ariel recorded. On their last album there's a song called Rock Critic that is very disco. I didn't want to mention it because I didn't want to scare anyone away!LOL But yeah, I'll get those songs to you in a day or two.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2010 at 15:26
Hi AP --   after getting some more opinions, Ariel will not be added at this time.  It is felt the material simply does not contain enough prog.  This doesn't necessarily mean they'll never be added and I do feel the band represents a kind of typical 70s artrock, but it does mean they'll probably not be looked at again any time soon for a regular Prog genre. 

Thanks for your persistence, though, and for sniffing out these obscure bands.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 11:26
*raspberry* Figures. You are very welcome anyways. Although I have to say I'm questioning the decision. I mean unless a band is so ridiculously prog, it seems that its automatically going to be an uphill battle. Now, I know that their 4 albums are not completely prog from start to finish but I guess I thought the material they did have were pretty damn convincing.

Oh well, prog related it is then. So whenever that can be done I would be very appreciative for Ariel to be considered for it.

For what its worth, thanks anyways!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 19:02
approved for ProgRelated, I will be adding them

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 10:12
Thumbs Up