Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKatatonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Katatonia
    Posted: December 08 2009 at 21:44
Katatonia is a sorely overlooked band that should be included on ProgArchives. To me they sound like a cross between A Perfect Circle and Opeth. They have just released an album which further pushes them into prog territories. Here are some links to songs from the new album. Please consider this band for inclusion on the site. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQPQHMACEYI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECqXY7-R3d0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP-ZGAs3M8o
www.myspace.com/aegeasynergy
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 21:50
They've already been rejected. They deserve prog-related at least... 
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 21:51
I've just got into Katatonia, especially their album discouraged ones. Usually poppy doom metal wouldnt really be my thing, but that album is pretty awesome.

Anyways I havent heard night is the new day, but I have heard the great cold distance, and from that I cant justify your claim on them being progressive. Their song structures are simple and pretty complacent, and their musicianship isnt exactly Fripp worthy.

I really like the group (or at least Discouraged ones), but I honestly do not understand the progressive they always seem to be labeled with.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 00:38
^ Their last two (and sort of the one before it) were proggy (especially the newest). Other than that, they're not really prog to be honest.

That doesn't mean that they didn't release absolutely awesome albums before then. Brave Murder Day is a masterpiece.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 00:50
Well Brave Murder Day is an extremely influential album. Does anyone else but me hear Agalloch ? Personally I think Brave Murder Day is prog-related. But itīs especially Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness that should get Katatonia into the Prog Archives database. The two latest albums also hold proggy elements. Their song structures might be simple but they are not ordinary vers/ chours songs. Youīll find short proggy interludes in most songs and an innovative approach to songwriting on most albums by the band. Iīll champion their inclusion any day.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 01:42
^ Have you heard Night is the New Day? It's by far their proggiest to date!

And yeah,  BMD had a lot of influence on Agalloch.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 09:36
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Well Brave Murder Day is an extremely influential album. Does anyone else but me hear Agalloch ? Personally I think Brave Murder Day is prog-related. But itīs especially Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness that should get Katatonia into the Prog Archives database. The two latest albums also hold proggy elements. Their song structures might be simple but they are not ordinary vers/ chours songs. Youīll find short proggy interludes in most songs and an innovative approach to songwriting on most albums by the band. Iīll champion their inclusion any day.

I completely agree with UMUR here. I think at worst they should be in Prog-Related but feel their more Experimental/Post-Metal.  I have all their albums except for the new one and must admit i was surprised a few years ago when i saw they weren't part of Prog Archives.I actually had a review written up to submit,that's when i saw they weren't on here. I know i don't have a vote but would put them in way before i would put in METALLICA and many other bands that are already here.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 09:51
Weren't they a part of the archives at one point? I could swear I've looked at their albums on here before, but they've vanished. Strange. Or my brain isn't functioning properly again, which is plausible.
hardworx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 10:00
I too believe that they belong here - definitely at the least prog-related but preferably post metal.

Their latest album is really very good and deserves a few reviews!
tintedweed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 13:51
Nice band.......vote for it...but can't pinpoint exactly where they should fall :)
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 14:58
I voted Yes for their inclusion into Tech/Extreme Prog Metal, but they are rejectedDisapprove

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 16:33
Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

Weren't they a part of the archives at one point? I could swear I've looked at their albums on here before, but they've vanished. Strange. Or my brain isn't functioning properly again, which is plausible.
I have heard this said before, but I don't think they were - I think that was My Dying Bride.

Anyway Night is the New Day is a great album, one of my favourites of the year, but I don't get any real sense of Prog from it - it's not Extreme/Tech at all, it's Alt Rock influenced Doom, or Doomy Heavy Alt Rock - fairly varied and somewhat eclectic, but... erm.... too (how can I put this....) .... simple - it's like Opeth without the Prog infuences/excesses.
What?
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 16:20
I believe they would fit perfectly next to bands like The Gathering and Anathema in the Experimental/Post Metal sub. Similar to those two they were pioneers and innovators in the 90's metal scene.

With Last Fair Deal Gone Down they incorporated elements from many genres and created something entirely unique and of consistently high quality. That defines prog for me as much as anything else.

Besides they got a lot of proggy things going as well: great musicianship, weird time-signatures, sonic experiments and concise but intelligent song structures. the works!

Edited by Bonnek - December 12 2009 at 07:52
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 17:45
I love Katatonia but their song structures are very simple. No real experimentation at all.

Nout wrong with that though because they write a good pop song. Although the poppyness is naturally shrouded in doom, gloom and atmospherics. A Premonition is probably my favourite Kat track.
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 18:08
Dean hit the nail on the head right there.
Night is the New Day is also one of my favorites from 2009, and The Great Cold Distance is one of my 2006 favorites as well.
I call them "prog-related" (which mind you, doesn't mean I think they are suitable for prog related, because they aren't) and I'm happy to just call them that and just get on with enjoying their music
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 18:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

I have heard this said before, but I don't think they were - I think that was My Dying Bride.

Anyway Night is the New Day is a great album, one of my favourites of the year, but I don't get any real sense of Prog from it - it's not Extreme/Tech at all, it's Alt Rock influenced Doom, or Doomy Heavy Alt Rock - fairly varied and somewhat eclectic, but... erm.... too (how can I put this....) .... simple - it's like Opeth without the Prog infuences/excesses.

Agree

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 05:41
They were previously on the Archives, but for fome reason never quite clear to me, they were kicked out. That said, I don't really think they fit anywhere, apart from Prog-Related, and even that is a stretch.
Bigger on the inside.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 06:19
Prog-related. NO NO NO!!! Itīs not a place to dump bands that people feel are only slightly related to prog ( not that I share that opinion about Katatonia). If Katatonia is to find a place here on PA itīs either in one of the three metal subs or...well actually thatīs were I think they would fit the best.

Well I might be going out on a limb here but couldnīt they even fit under this new revised Neo-Prog definition:

"While the Neo-Progressive genre initially consisted of artists exploring a modernized version of Symphonic Prog, these days artists coined as Neo-Progressive cover a multitude of musical expressions, where the common denominator is the inclusion - within a progressive rock framework - of musical elements developed just prior to and after 1980. The Neo-Progressive genre in it's refined form thus covers a vast musical territory, to some extent covering all existing subsets of progressive rock and also searching out towards genres as different as new age on one side and punk and metal on the other."

And please remember I wrote could and not should.

Edited by UMUR - December 11 2009 at 07:25
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 14:52
I saw them live last month and was quite dissapointed by their sound, performance and playing - which is so simplistic I would definitely not place them anywhere in prog forms... but that is only my opinion
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 15:13
Yep they pretty much suck live. Both times Iīve seen them they were also a disappointment. But thatīs besides the point really. Their albums are full of layers that they canīt re-produce in a live environment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>