Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave you ever woken up in the morning and...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 15:27
Quote ... ...realized that Dream Theater isn't as good as you always thought it was?

Wow ... you really need a life!

Btw ... Dream Theater does not make music for YOU ... and if you don't like it exercise your democratic right ... buy something else!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 15:36
^ for the record moskito, I think you're one of the funniest posters on this board.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 16:34
This exact thing happened to me as soon as I got bored with their latest album. I used to thinkthey could do no wrong, but they have simply stopped making music that appeals to me. And I've worn out their catalogue for multiple years, that helps too.

There's a saying I quite like: As soon as you stop getting better, you stop being good.

I think it applies here. They've been releasing the same album for 10 years, as far as I'm concerned, ever since Rudess entered the fold. I still respect them, still love their best work....but I'm just not interested in listening to them nowadays.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 16:51
You can explain me please how Train of Thought and Octavarium are the same album...???!!! please, and how is that Systematic Chaos is the same that Black Clouds... please... don't tell me now that Forsaken sound the same than the Count of Tuscany... really... again... I understand that some wanted something more or many other are not metal fans and that's why DT do not appeal anymore to you... but... well... I'm with Moshkito here...

Edited by jampa17 - December 15 2009 at 16:52
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:30
.....realized that in the middle of the night I ripped my speaker wires out from the back of the receiver.
What the heck, the hell. I remember hearing voices coming out of my speakers but I didn't think to turn OFF the darn thing   Hey, I was sleeping and the voices would'nt shut up!

assume the power 1586/14.3
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:44
The only time that I would consider waking up and thinking about Dream Theater, would be if the world came round to spelling it proper like here in Canada - Dream Theatre .
But I'm pretty sure I would think of something else when I wake up - "hope there's no one in the bathroom!"

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:33

Nice idea for a blues song.

I woke up this morning,
Realized DT wasn't what I thought
Woke up this morning,
Regretted all those albums I bought.
Gonna head on down to Rosedale,
Listen to some band that ain't overwrought.

(sorry 'bout that force last rhyme Wink)

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:41
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

The only time that I would consider waking up and thinking about Dream Theater, would be if the world came round to spelling it proper like here in Canada - Dream Theatre .
But I'm pretty sure I would think of something else when I wake up - "hope there's no one in the bathroom!"

So should Megadeth be "Megadeath"??  If it's how the band spells it- that's how everyone should spell it.

Edited by Drew - December 15 2009 at 20:41

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:49
^Same with Lead Zeppelin and the Beetles. And Lincoln Park and Corn, and Limp Biscuit, etc.

DT are still great IMO. I went through a stage where I would listen to them every day over and over and I just got bored. But that isn't because I don't like them, its just that i've heard it so many times. Same thing happened with Led Zep and Maiden for me. 

The solution is to vary your playlist with other artists, so you don't get bored. If you don't listen to your DT for a few months, then play it again one day, it will sound as great as it did when you first heard it. 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

^Same with Lead Zeppelin and the Beetles. And Lincoln Park and Corn, and Limp Biscuit, etc.

DT are still great IMO. I went through a stage where I would listen to them every day over and over and I just got bored. But that isn't because I don't like them, its just that i've heard it so many times. Same thing happened with Led Zep and Maiden for me. 

The solution is to vary your playlist with other artists, so you don't get bored. If you don't listen to your DT for a few months, then play it again one day, it will sound as great as it did when you first heard it. 

you're right- I knew there were tons of examples, but I couldnt think of anyLOL

Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 21:29
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

You can explain me please how Train of Thought and Octavarium are the same album...???!!! please, and how is that Systematic Chaos is the same that Black Clouds... please... don't tell me now that Forsaken sound the same than the Count of Tuscany... really... again... I understand that some wanted something more or many other are not metal fans and that's why DT do not appeal anymore to you... but... well... I'm with Moshkito here...

Yes, yes, ok, let me clear this up. Train of Thought and Octavarium are not the same album, you are correct. The Dream Theater sound, in general, has not changed over the years to my liking the way it did before SFAM. (And don't get me wrong...I've never been one of those "Kevin Moore" purist DT fans)

They all exhibit too much focus on virtuosity and not enough on songwriting. This is a trend that has doomed them. Their songs, in my opinion, have been growing weaker in general over the years. Listen to A Rite of Passage. It completely changes songs midway through so that it can fit in some solos. As a matter of fact, I would say that Wither is the only song on their latest album that does not sound stitched together from a bunch of unrelated riffs that the guys found in the studio. I readily admit, a bunch of these songs rock my socks off, but I can't help but feel that some of them are shallow and, dare I say it, uninspired. I feel they could do infinitely better.

You are bound to disagree, and I don't really care, but I would argue that any song from SFAM on could be switched over to any other album and still sound at home. I really like bands that go through audible progressions on each record.

So there's my DT rant for today Wink. Man, if I had a nickel for every DT-inspired internet flare-up I've seen....

And I'll still buy everything they put out, by the way.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 06:47
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Have you ever woken up in the morning and...

wondered where all of your hair went?   Yes, frequently.

(so much for maturity)
Clap Aye - Iv'e had my head shaved completely for a while now - think of that picture of "Snow" in the booklet and you've got a reasonable likeness of me Tongue
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 06:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Quote ... ...realized that Dream Theater isn't as good as you always thought it was?

Wow ... you really need a life!

Btw ... Dream Theater does not make music for YOU ... and if you don't like it exercise your democratic right ... buy something else!
Wink Yeah - buy some Barry Manilow, listen to it for a bit (with a sick bucket handy - just in case) then re-listen to DT.....
My son usally puts it on (DT) when we're cleaning the kitchen after dinner...My Mrs refers to it as "NOISE".......then listens to WESTLIFE or the Carpenters......Dead
domizia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 07:09
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Nice idea for a blues song.

I woke up this morning,
Realized DT wasn't what I thought
Woke up this morning,
Regretted all those albums I bought.
Gonna head on down to Rosedale,
Listen to some band that ain't overwrought.

(sorry 'bout that force last rhyme Wink)

Clap Cracked me up...
Nightshine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 08:03
How did I not see this thread's direction coming?

Regardless, when I was at school yesterday, I wrote up 50 reasons as to why Dream Theater suck outright.  It was deleted when I pressed "post reply" and I got a 404 (due to PA just timing out.  This site is hosted on terrible servers).

I'm really annoyed by that, because it was a really good list.

Edited by Nightshine - December 16 2009 at 08:04
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 09:29
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

I myself am not a huge metal fan. However, I think that the genre isn't dead as long as bands like Gojira and Isis are still putting out albums. Just a side curiosity: what did you think of Wavering Radiant?

As for musical virtuosity, I really have no problems with exceptionally talented musicians showing off, if it works creatively with the rest of the song. However, there seems to be a tendency on this site to assume virtuosity = creativity. Which leads, unfortunately, to a TON of bands whose only claim to the "progressive" label is their willingness to perform voodoo rituals on the skeletal remains of the classic seventies prog sound.

Strangely enough, your last sentence describes the sort of music that appeals to me most.  To each his own I guess.

As to DT, I've never been much of a fan.  I agree with those who say their songwriting is just not there, and they lean to much on their technical abilities.  But I still enjoy a lot of it, just not on a regular basis.  But I've gotten tired of many bands I loved.  Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, etc.  I wouldn't say I've grown out of them, just that I've tired of hearing music that I can run though note for note in my head without even putting on a CD.  It's just become TOO familiar I guess.  It happens.

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 09:31
Originally posted by fighting sleep fighting sleep wrote:

...realized that Dream Theater isn't as good as you always thought it was?

I had this strange discomforting realization a little while back, and have been contemplating the money I wasted on this band that for some reason I cannot bring myself to listen to anymore.

What has happened here? Why can't I revel in the cheese of Scenes From A Memory anymore? Not only that, but when Dream Theater vacated the apple of my eye, they took with them Ayreon, Symphony X, and Phideaux.

The only word that comes to mind is: maturity. Ideas and opinions change in time. After all, these were the bands that I leapt for and eagerly drank in when I first became acquainted with prog rock a few years ago. They weren't all I was listening to, of course, but for a while there, I really loved a lot of these cheesy bands.

However, it now baffles me the quantity of cheesy bands populating this site (mostly in the progressive metal section...). In fact, it almost seems to me that the popularity of bands on this site is a microcosm of popularity in mainstream music; all of the bands that languish in old ideas and creative stagnancy (I'm thinking especially of Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater) are inevitably some of the most popular and idiosyncratic in the prog genre.

Ideas, opinions? Am I talking out of my ass? Has this sort of "awakening" happened to anyone else?
  I'm really not sure how many times this has been done, I think I'll start counting
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 09:46
Originally posted by Tarquin Underspoon Tarquin Underspoon wrote:

Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Yes, yes, ok, let me clear this up. Train of Thought and Octavarium are not the same album, you are correct. The Dream Theater sound, in general, has not changed over the years to my liking the way it did before SFAM. (And don't get me wrong...I've never been one of those "Kevin Moore" purist DT fans)

They all exhibit too much focus on virtuosity and not enough on songwriting. This is a trend that has doomed them. Their songs, in my opinion, have been growing weaker in general over the years. Listen to A Rite of Passage. It completely changes songs midway through so that it can fit in some solos. As a matter of fact, I would say that Wither is the only song on their latest album that does not sound stitched together from a bunch of unrelated riffs that the guys found in the studio. I readily admit, a bunch of these songs rock my socks off, but I can't help but feel that some of them are shallow and, dare I say it, uninspired. I feel they could do infinitely better.

You are bound to disagree, and I don't really care, but I would argue that any song from SFAM on could be switched over to any other album and still sound at home. I really like bands that go through audible progressions on each record.

So there's my DT rant for today Wink. Man, if I had a nickel for every DT-inspired internet flare-up I've seen....

And I'll still buy everything they put out, by the way.

Well... I agree with you that they are a little less inspired this days... but I think that we as fans are getting older and them too... so, some people here wishes to they bring out another masterpiece but you are not aloud to feel it as back in the middle 90's... I think nostalgy and the high quality they input on themselves makes most people angry... but, I don't think that a song from SFAM could fit well in Systematic Chaos or even Six Degrees... but well, this is a matter of taste, and the interesting thing is that DT is still growing on new fans, so many of the younger fans consider the last two albums as masterpieces, you can see it on the reviews... so... I think younger people are less exigent with them than us... but hell.. if I had a nicke for every hateful post about DT..
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 12:31

Seems like DT has a great ability to raise those negative thoughts wherever mentioned.. Someone always notifies how he/she just can't stand it. Well, anyone has a right to speak so.. anyway, I don't think I will ever stop liking things like Awake, I&W and some songs from Falling Into Infinity. DT has also made some very nice and enjoyable songs with Rudess, that I haven't been bored with even after dozens of listens (These Walls, Glass Prison, Disappear, Sacrificed Sons etc.) I think that DT is basically some awesome musicians creating a huge bunch of different ideas, sometimes fresh and sometimes not, and trying to fit them into a song. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. And when it does, the outcome is usually something pretty amazing. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12