Topic ClosedGenesis inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
    Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:11
http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?id=17664507&ps=1016&srce=news_class&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_ETNWU00L2_UNEWS

Today, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges as its 2010 artist inductees. Also being inducted this year as individual recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award will be David Geffen and songwriters Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Elle Greenwich, Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell. The ceremony will take place on March 15, 2010 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City and will air live on Fuse, Madison Square Garden’s national music television network, as part of the three-year broadcast deal between the Foundation and Fuse.

“We are very happy to present this year’s inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they represent a great cross-section of artists that define the broad spectrum and history of rock and roll and people that have contributed immeasurably to our business” says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President & CEO Joel Peresman.

Edited by Easy Livin - December 15 2009 at 10:35
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:15
FINALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:45
The rub is that they are most likely being inducted for the post Gabriel material instead of the progressive rock albums that get all of the praise here on PA.  The fact that Gabriel was a member and that they released all those album with him, will probably just be a footnote on their plaque.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:48
It'll be interesting to see who gets up on stage,as I think that half of them don't care about the hall of fame.

After that, who could get up & jam with Genesis ? "O.K., Peter & Phil have re-learned most of the lyrics to Supper's Ready between them, and we'll play most of it, except the apocalypse in 9/8, because we don't want any possible tie-in with the film 2012."

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 11:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The rub is that they are most likely being inducted for the post Gabriel material instead of the progressive rock albums that get all of the praise here on PA.  The fact that Gabriel was a member and that they released all those album with him, will probably just be a footnote on their plaque.

Yeah, I rather doubt that Genesis was inducted based on its Prog credentials, but, on the plus side, ABBA was inducted for its prog-related credentials ;)

Edited by Logan - December 15 2009 at 11:07
Steven in Atlanta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 13:24
Wonder if fellow inductees Abba, the Stooges and the Hollies will all join in on the finale of Supper's Ready? Kidding, of course.
Nightshine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 13:31
How many bad bands have to be inducted into the hall of fame?

I don't even think it should be considered the RRHOF anymore, but renamed "the bands that we really really like building"
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 13:35
No....

there must be some misunderstanding.
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:08
Good news....I hope that this makes a good excuse for an original Genesis reunion...
+David Geffen was inducted too...Geffen Records released albums by Peter Gabriel, Asia (so...we can blame him for that ), Pat Metheny, Elton John, Sigur Rós, John Wetton, etc.

Two prog-related inductions this year!
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:22
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

No....

I always thought that song was some kind of mistake.  Probably brought them some much needed cash though.

Not to discourage those exploring the old stuff for the first time, but I am so not impressed with them being inducted into the R & R HoF,  I am not particularly impressed with Genesis these days, and least impressive of all is anyone being inducted into the R & R HoF.   Lots of carp/crap.  Some good artists to be sure, but I'd rather visit Graceland.  Not having been to the R & R HoF, it smells of tourist trap for  me. 

By the way, I am curious to the opinions of those who have actually visited there.  Graceland as well.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 15 2009 at 14:23
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

No....

I always thought that song was some kind of mistake.  Probably brought them some much needed cash though.

Not to discourage those exploring the old stuff for the first time, but I am so not impressed with them being inducted into the R & R HoF,  I am not particularly impressed with Genesis these days, and least impressive of all is anyone being inducted into the R & R HoF.   Lots of carp/crap.  Some good artists to be sure, but I'd rather visit Graceland.  Not having been to the R & R HoF, it smells of tourist trap for  me. 

By the way, I am curious to the opinions of those who have actually visited there.  Graceland as well.
I went there a couple of years ago, and it was both interesting and disappointing.  When I was there they had two floors dedicated to The Who's Tommy, so I found that to be quite interesting.  They show a pretty neat video which touches on all of the members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and many of them leave you shaking your head saying either "who?" or "why?"
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 15:19
Does that mean that YES may be next!!!???
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 15:58
Originally posted by Clepsydra Clepsydra wrote:

Does that mean that YES may be next!!!???

I think Rush has a better shot, but I won't hold my breath.
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 16:41
Can I get a "who cares".....?
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 16:42
I guess that is better than a "Who Dunnit?"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:11
Woo I suppose.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:33
Rush, Kiss, Yes ???

They were all big in the 70s, maintained a decent level of success in the 80s & 90s, and are still going concerns with dedicated fan bases.

And none are in the hall of fame. I don't suggest a general poll, but most Rock fans would have chosen more apt & deserving acts. The critics do deserve their say, as there are many a musical act that never got the acclaim due their influence or importance in the whole scene.

But too often, choices are made that seem like a case of straining for artistic credibility of Rock music as a form of high art. Rock music - the anti-establishment music ! Striving to establish itself as "important".

It'd be great to have had John Lydon & Frank Zappa up on the podium giving a lengthy speech as to what is wrong with that !

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:58
The only problem is that they're getting included for Abacab and Invisible Touch ... not Foxtrot and The Lamb.

Oh well...

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 18:35
LOL I shudder to think of the clips they'll show
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:01

Satan is Freezing today big time. Wink

I do like the verbiage that the R&R HOF placed on their page about Genesis:
Almost no group in rock history has had such a long and varied career as Genesis, who began as a cult art-rock band in England in the late 1960’s and went on to pack stadiums across the globe in the 1980’s, 1990’s and on their 2007 reunion tour. In the early 1970’s frontman Peter Gabriel shocked audiences and grabbed headlines by taking the stages in outrageous costumes and occasionally even levitating above the audience. Their music was equally innovative, and early albums Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway are two of the most acclaimed prog-rock albums in the history of the genre. In 1975 Gabriel left the band to pursue a solo career and drummer Phil Collins stepped out from behind the kit to take over. The band experienced many more hits and successful worldwide tours over the next 30 years.

I also understand the five main players have been invited to perform. You can find some quotes form Tony Banks commenting on that.  

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>