Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan You Believe it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can You Believe it?
    Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:24
Hi,

In another board .. someone called this stuff -- the progressive and experimental -- a bunch of "bleeps, bloops and flatulence" ...

I know that Roger Waters and Ron Geesin have abused the priviledge on one song ... but thought it highly unfair to call a lot of the stuff that we love so dearly ... by terms that better fit pop music and hit radio, than it would ever fit anything that we talk about in here!

Edited by moshkito - December 15 2009 at 14:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

In another board .. someone called this stuff -- the progressive and experimental -- a bunch of "bleeps, bloops and flatulence" ...

I know that Roger Waters and Ron Geesin have abused the priviledge on one song ... but thought it highly unfair to call a lot of the stuff that we love so dearly ... by terms that better fit pop music and hit radio, than it would ever fit anything that we talk about in here!

I think said person is thinking of fart rock.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:34
Oh, don't worry, someone who lives on my floor here at college claims that none of the stuff I listen to is music at all.  
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:39
Let him rot and decay in the eternal silent agony of blissful ignorance. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:40
I fart in anyone's general direction with a large expellation of flatulent gas who thinks that calling something flatulent is really clever criticism, unless the music is actually composed or improvised with actual flatulism.  I have not heard this stuff as far as I know, but I'm pretty sure my criticism is accurate. 

I'd recommend keeping to this site as our critical flatuism is of a much better quality.  bleeps, bloop bleeps, bloop,bleeps, bloop.   Oh dear, our  critic has crapped his pants. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 15 2009 at 14:40
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hi,

LOL
I literally laughed out loud at this reply.

Edited by Sckxyss - December 15 2009 at 14:41
LandofLein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:29
I guess we'll have to beat him to death with our chapman sticks and mellotrons!

(This comment sounds strangely familiar, so my apologies to whomever said it first) 

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:40
whoa ... mindless criticism on the internet ... wait, I'm just getting up from being knowckd down. I can;t ecen spill progerly ...Clown

God only knows no one at PA has ever written anything remotely denigrating about other people's music.
O.K., maybe a few , like &,$,%,,#@,!(,*,&,%,^, ... all names changed to protect me until I blow up real good.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 19:11
said person should walk the plank! and sink to the bottom of the ocean or a bottumless pitt to the realm of kraken and get Poseidons curse over him.
weetabix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 19:17
Music from the Body.... on Harvest Records no doubt?
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 19:51
Meh, I ignore comments like this. I find prog easier to listen to than mindless Top 40 pop. I find THAT stuff difficult to listen to, totally fake and without artistic merit, and non-musical. 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:25

Hi,

The Butthole Surfers, perhaps?

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 06:41
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Hi,

The Butthole Surfers, perhaps?

There´s a guy out there right now getting famous for his rendition of Queen´s "Bohemian Rhapsody" played in hand-flatulens. If that isn´t prog what is?LOL
I am quite the melodic farter myself. I do a nice impression of the theme from "The good, the bad and the ugly".
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 10:26

Hi,

I agree with the love so dearly comment. Ron Geesin scored a lot for hit radio. Jingles and various soundtrack efforts through the years proved him to be a diverse musician. Music From the Body was more interesting for a listen or two at the time of it's release. Various Ron Geesin back catalog releases are much more enjoyable musically. He was a fantastic player. Nylon string classical, banjo, whatever. Roger Waters Several Spieces Of Small Furry Animals is a Geesin duplicate in composition. Demented, errie and disturbing to the flesh sockets above your head.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 13:39
There was a French bloke who used to sing by farting. I can't for the life of me remember his name, but the late great Leonard Rossiter played him in a film.

Unfortunately, he lived in the ages prior to prog, so covers of Floyd, Genesis et al to the sound of a reverberating fart were not availableCry
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

There was a French bloke who used to sing by farting. I can't for the life of me remember his name, but the late great Leonard Rossiter played him in a film.

Unfortunately, he lived in the ages prior to prog, so covers of Floyd, Genesis et al to the sound of a reverberating fart were not availableCry

That's not something we're really proud of... Now, we evolved and sing by belching. That's a bit classier.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 13:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

He was Joseph Pujol, known as Le Petomane (this was also the title of the excellent Rossiter film). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 14:04
Originally posted by weetabix weetabix wrote:

Music from the Body.... on Harvest Records no doubt?

Yep ... "Our Song" .... a classic ... should be played more often and is on my top ten ... I really want to play that between Staiway to Heaven and Layla!  ... it should get a few hairs excited!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 22:07
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

said person should walk the plank! and sink to the bottom of the ocean or a bottumless pitt to the realm of kraken and get Poseidons curse over him.
The Topographic Ocean? How fitting Smile
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 23:21
It's kind of sad that you care so much about what other people think of the useless sounds you prefer to listen to...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>