Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: It Bites Christmas Special - pictures
    Posted: December 26 2009 at 13:48
Cheers Neil. The pics are very good, but of course they only tell part of thestory. It's always interesting to hear your thoughts on the music itself, how together the band were etc.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 05:26
Neil! Your review is great and your pictures superb!

I really wanred to go to this gig, especially as it was just down the road from me, but sadly I had other committments.

I've been a fan of It Bites since the beginning, and the new John Mitchell fronted band is fantastic. I've seen them in this manifestation a few times, and yes they do indeed rock!! Great musicans playing great music. I'll look out for them playing in the new year. Over the years I've seen them about 7 times, and what they may have lost with the departure of Frank Dunnery, they have gained something different, but equally special with John Mitchell.

Thanks for the review and the pictures, Neil. Have a great Christmas..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Neil Palfreyman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 04:03
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

How about your thoughts on the gig itself Neil?Big smile

I'm not much good at reviews - I prefer to let my pictures do the talking, but being as it's Christmas... Wink

I really enjoyed it!

I went along as a Magenta fan (they were supporting) and although I know John Mitchell from several of his other projects I wasn't familiar with much of the IT Bites material (something I am working on putting right!)

The band were obviously enjoying the gig very much; John Beck and Lee Pomeroy had ear to ear grins throgh pretty much all of the set and John Mitchell, was, well John Mitchell - I have never seen him not play a blinding gig!

Here's a photograph of the Setlist:

but I think they missed "This is England" due to time constraints.

The venue was absolutely packed out and extremely hot - one poor chap collapsed and had an ambulance called Shocked but for the rest of us more fortunate souls I think the heat just added to the party atmosphere.  (I think he was okay afterwards...)

The lightshow (as a photographer) was superb - I wish some bigger venues had lighting half as good as that (are you listening, CRS???????)

I was right down the front as you can probably work out from the pictures so most of the sound we were getting was from the monitors and to be honest it was pretty good - I could hear all the parts okay.  I get the impression from some others that the sound from the PA itself may not have been quite so good - I could hear some distortion on the speakers to my left

The musicianship was just superb - very tight and incredibly entertaining to watch.

Christina Booth from Magenta came back on at the end to do the Kirty Maccolll vocal part for Fairytale of New York which was just a brilliant way to end the gig.

Edited by Neil Palfreyman - December 24 2009 at 04:06
Question everything, believe nothing
We talk music, we talk nothing
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 03:51
Looks like a stellar gig - Awesome that you could get up that close to the band. Great photos!

Hope you enjoyed it!
-Joel
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 03:37
How about your thoughts on the gig itself Neil?Big smile
Neil Palfreyman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 01:34
I'm a long time John Mitchell fan (from Arena, Kino, Frost*) but pretty new to It Bites - in fact last Sunday was my first It Bites gig.  Boy did they rock!

I managed to get some particularly special pictures on Sunday which I thought you may enjoy.  Here's a few samples:

As ever the complete set (and sets from loads of other gigs/bands) is posted up on my MySpace page:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=328159521

Enjoy and have a wonderful Christmas!
Question everything, believe nothing
We talk music, we talk nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply