Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlgernon for Post-Rock / Eclectic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algernon for Post-Rock / Eclectic?
    Posted: December 24 2009 at 13:24
http://www.myspace.com/algernonmusic

This Chicago based band is now releasing their new album through Cuneiform, but it's not the label's typical avant-rock, jazz or related, but rather a calmer, exploratory affair in a post-rock vein, but also quite eclectic in sound.

Their Myspace bio:

Both of Algernon's albums ("Familiar Espionage" (2007) and "Charlie Changed His Mind" (2004)) are now available on Itunes as well as many other electronic outlets for a discounted rate!

Fostering an atmosphere that relies on composition and a larger sonic palette, Algernon creates a fusion of indie rock, jazz, and classical chamber music. The effect is that of a distinctly modern band, providing musical clues to our modern landscape. In the process, Algernon engulfs the listener in an entirely different world of its own making. With combined experience in genres from jazz to hard rock, from punk to classical, the band is well equipped to deliver on the promise.

Listening to their 2004 debut album, Charlie Changed His Mind (which then 21 year old Dave Miller (Ted Sirota’s Rebel Souls) conceived of in just one week), or one of the band's fiery live performances, one is run through the entire human experience: joy, sadness, passion, exhilaration. You won't walk away the same or be likely to forget what you've heard.

Fast Forward to 2007…with only two days in the studio, Algernon has now finished their new album, Familiar Espionage, direct to analog tape. This new set of music finds the band pushing the compositional aspect of their music to exhilarating new heights. Breathtaking melodies, jazz-tinged harmonies, and cacophonous noise-scapes make the new record a milestone in the career of this young group of musicians.

In short, the band can't be summed up neatly. Algernon simply rocks too hard to be considered jazz, and they play with too much finesse and sheer musical ability to be called just another rock band. Algernon doesn't simply wish to play songs: the band is here to turn your entire world upside down.

http://www.algernonmusic.com/

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 16:50
bump
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 16:52
Sorry, Assaf.

If no news from the PR Team, than we'll check it out first.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 16:55
Thanks Rico Smile

I'm not really sure what will fit better between the two, but from Myspace samples, I gather post rock is perhaps better. I'll "bug" the team.
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 21:33
i checked Algernon, i am little confused where they better fit, they definitely have post rock elements included , but also a lot of jazzy moments, sense of avant can be traced, realy diverse sound.. so i will add them on post rock  charts on progfreak for evaluation and see what other members of the team decide.  i think these guys are bringing post rock to some different level, adding extra elements taken from jazz ,avantguarde,psychedelia  to create a unique sound .. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 21:44
i encountered some problems while adding them to progfreak.com, i will contact mike ,and hope this problem will be solved soon 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 21:45
Cheers, Angel, thanks for that analysis of yours (I agree with it).
One of those bands that makes you think where they fit best here.

Thanks to both teams for taking the time to listen to this band.

angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 21:49
problems solved. Algernon has been added to post rock charts , now will wait till other members vote and i will inform you Assaf  if they have been added 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 11:51
Great stuff, and I would support Algernon in Eclectic.  According to the Eclectic charts it's now cleared (three yes votes, mine being the latest).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply