Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCity Boy reforming!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Boy reforming!
    Posted: January 04 2010 at 16:01
City Boy, an amazing band from the late 70's and early 80's, is talking about reforming.  I have it on the best authority that former members Max Thomas and Roy Ward are hoping to have a new CD out this year, and are talking about touring in the US. 

Reformation talk comes on the heels of their last album, It's Personal, being released by Renaissance Records 28 years after it's first limited release.  This may be the first opportunity many City Boy fans have ever had to hear it. 

If you don't know them, they are more than worth checking out.  Often unfairly compared to bands such as Queen and 10cc, they were a unique powerhouse band whose 7 albums offered a wealth of musical riches that I have enjoyed listening to for over 30 years now.  Their outstanding arrangements, the clever lyrics, the rich vocals of the three lead singers, all combine to perfection. 

Can't wait to hear their new CD and see these guys live again! 

Edited by Just Me - January 04 2010 at 22:32
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 03:44
Hi Just me, welcome! Are you connected with the band? If not, who is the "best authority" you speak of? Has there been any official announcement?

I note you say "talking about reforming", is there some doubt yet?

Also, what about the other band members? Will they be involved? Do Thomas and Ward have the rights to the use of the City boy name?

Thanks for clarifying. As you'll understand, we like to ensure that any news we publish is properly substantiated.
Just Me View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 05:25
No, I'm not associated with the band, but am a long time fan and follow what's going on at the forums on the band's fan run site.  The information came from Max Thomas and Roy Ward, who both post there.  They are both determined to make this happen, and they are actively working towards that goal.  When the band broke up, Max Thomas was given the rights to the name and so they do have right to use it.  Steve Broughton, Lol Mason and Chris Dunn are not interested.  I'm not sure if Mike Slamer has definitely decided either way yet or not.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 08:36
This is great news, but it will be odd without the major lead singer of the band not being involved.  I know that Roy sang a few of the songs.  However, Lol sang most of them and Steve sang quite few when Roy was not involved.  Keep us posted.  I'm anxious to hear anything that is produced by these guys.  I'd actually like to see Steve come back if that's possible!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 09:20
Clap... Another bunch of pensionados resurrected from retirement. I hope that Lol Mason will join in, if only for the funny lyrics. They made at least four good albums in the second half of the 70's. Let's see if they don't suffer from a loss of quality...
Just Me View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 12:18
Yes, Lol Mason is/was quite a wordsmith, and his voice and lyrics will be missed.  Roy did a lot of the vocals after he joined, and by the end he did most of them.  He did some songwriting, too.  Steve Broughton is definitely not interested in rejoining. 

Here's a quote from the liner notes Max Thomas wrote a few months ago for the recent CD issue of It's Personal.  He said, "As I write, there are moves afoot to reform the band with a view not only to prepare for live performance in the US, but also to start recording an eighth City Boy album.  Which original members will participate in this is still unclear, but at least two, Roy Ward and Max Thomas, have committed, and between them they have more than enough appropriate, and reportedly, excellent material ready for production.  And if we could get Mutt Lange on board..."

Edited by Just Me - January 05 2010 at 15:00
paulbath View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 17:13
Great to hear the news.

I've never heard City Boy play, but I met Max when he was supply teaching at a school in Wiltshire.

Are you reading this Max? Remember, you still owe me £30?

Perhaps you could contact me and let me know when I might get it back! 

07796 173792.

Paul
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 22:45
No Slamer, no sale.
BabaOsw View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 06:44
Hi Guys! As ive only just joined this forum, may i let you all know (though my post is late-in-the-day so's to speak), but Roy is a friend of mine and he (and Max) are excited about reforming the group, but would obviously like mike and lol on board (it appears that nobody has contact with Steve?). Also, they would strive to involve Mutt in any future project. Roy has over 60 tracks/material to work with and i believe Max has similar. I will tell you - that progress 'speed' is down to lack of money! it is very limited, so any progress will be slow, if not very slow! Also worth pointing-out that Roy lives in N.Wales, Max in New York?!
I will keep you all up-to-speed from now-on....
regards
Bazz
Just Me View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 16:42

Hey Bazz, thanks for the update.  BTW, Max is in Bath.  It'sChris Dunn, that is in NY.  Not sure how close that makes them Max to Roy geographically, but that's a whole lot closer than the US.

JM
BabaOsw View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 19:19
Cheers! Yeah, thats not a million miles apart.

I hope to see Roy in the next week(ish) as ive passed on a questionaire to him from guys registered to the 'cityboy.org' forum (rito).  It was afew week ago now and i kinda set him a 2week deadline!?!?!

I dont think its right for me to say where Roy lives, he appreciates his privicy im sure, but from where he lives to where you say Max lives, it is only afew hours drive - so any potential progress between the two should be encouraged?

If only Mike and Lol could be persueded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and wheres Steve? What about him eh? Does anybody know where he's hiding!??

Cheers anyway, speak soon!!!
Just Me View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 17:05
Steve is in the US these days, and is an A&R exec for a record company.  Seems to have no interest in the band or the reunion.  No idea where Mike stands on joining in.  I don't think Lol will be back, either, but it would be great if he would contribute some lyrics.  What a lyricist that guy is!

JM 
everyday View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 17:21
One of my favourite bands of all time. Great news if they're getting back in any form. From memory, Roy also did the vocals on Tight Fit's The Lion Sleeps Tonight.
BabaOsw View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 04:33
Yeah, thats right. Have a look at this:

Its in Germany this year (April/May??), of the top 50 most annoying songs.
Im sure you will all agree Roy is looking more youthful than ever....

Theres a good story behind the 'other' band members on this shoot too - i'll save the story for another day! Dont want to spoil you all too much in one day! LOL

best regards
bazz
Just Me View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 09:29
Hey, Roy looks great.  And go ahead, spoil us with the story!  Wink

JM
cityboyfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 03:01
Hi 

It's 2013 and I wonder if there is any news about this reunion ?   

I have been  a City Boy fan since 1977 , would be great to see them back. 

Laurelei View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 19:05
No news. Max says things are moving along but it's been a long time now. Roy I hear is writing a lot of new music, but I have no idea when or if it will happen.

Jo
TheDuck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 17:29
Paul,

4 years later and still nothing is happening.......and is not likely to either. Who would be interested in a reformed CB with ONLY Max and Roy as the original members?...doesn't sound like much of a money-spinner to me! Oh, and good luck getting the cash off Max....THAT's not going to happen either. BTW, this is Chris Dunn....EX CB bass-player.

Cheers!

The Duck
Matte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:57
Hi Chris!

I went to a concert with City Boy in my hometown in northern Sweden a long time ago - i guess it was 1979?

It was my first "real" concert experience.   

But my question is about another thing - how come that CB´s last album ( It´s Personal ) was distributed here in Sweden but hardly anywhere else...??   
Just Me View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 16:37
Originally posted by TheDuck TheDuck wrote:

Paul,
4 years later and still nothing is happening.......and is not likely to either. Who would be interested in a reformed CB with ONLY Max and Roy as the original members?...doesn't sound like much of a money-spinner to me! Oh, and good luck getting the cash off Max....THAT's not going to happen either. BTW, this is Chris Dunn....EX CB bass-player.
Cheers!
The Duck

Oh Chris, I concede. No reunion. Nice dream while it lasted.

Damn!

Just Me
 Post Reply Post Reply