Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rushfan4's New CD Thread 7- Black Bonzo Guillotine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's New CD Thread 7- Black Bonzo Guillotine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rushfan4's New CD Thread 7- Black Bonzo Guillotine
    Posted: January 08 2010 at 10:56
In continuation of my meager attempt to divert some PA forum discussion time away from Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and the other usual suspects, here is my 7th installment of Rushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread.   This month's album that I think that others would enjoy and like to discuss is Black Bonzo's Guillotine Drama.  I believe that Black Bonzo is mildly known around these parts as a result of the release of their previous album The Sound of the Apocalypse.  I really haven't seen any discussions regarding their latest release however, so here it is.

Here is a link to their PA page. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1406 where a couple of songs from their previous albums can be heard.

Here is a link to their official website. http://www.blackbonzo.com/

Here is a link to their MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/blackbonzo where some of their music can be heard.

And here is a link to the Last.FM page http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Bonzo/Guillotine+Drama where I believe that the whole album can be streamed for free.

Black Bonzo are another selection from Sweden for me.  They play a brand of heavy psychedelic prog.  I think that they might appeal to those of you who previously enjoyed my Astra recommendation. 

Give them a listen.  See what you think.  And come back to this thread and discuss them.  I am hoping that we have a little success here and maybe we can do it for other lesser known newer releases.  Either rate, let me know what you think.   

And in case you missed the first six installments of the New CD discussion thread please check them out here at thes links:

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat -  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3457937#3457937

I should note that for those who frown about these things, I am not a representative of any of these bands.  I do not get paid to endorse them.  All of these albums are albums that I purchased as downloads.  They are all albums that I have really enjoyed and therefore I am trying to bring them to the attention of PA members so that they may enjoy them to.  Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else will like these albums since it is all a matter of taste, but I have a feeling that there are some of you out there who will. LOL

I should also mention that although I am a Collaborator here at PA, this thread and recommendation is made entirely independently of my duties as a PA collaborator, and is also totally independent of the PA Artist of the Month that is endorsed by M@x, the site's owner. 

Edited by rushfan4 - January 15 2010 at 10:23
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 10:59
I should also mention that downloads can be purchased here http://www.amazon.com/Guilotine-Drama/dp/B0031FB5DM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1262969306&sr=8-3 from Amazon.com.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 11:52
It was good news when I heard that Black Bonzo would release their third around September - I'm still not dissapointed by anything this band has made - and I can't name too many great heavy/hard rock retro bands, other than this... I like this one more than The Sound Of Apocalypse. Supersonic Man would be the best, most attractive piece, I suppose, but my favourite is Zephyr
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 12:06
I think that the song Sound of the Apocalypse can be ranked amongst the modern "masterpieces" in my opinion; the rest of that album is decent, but not at the level of the title song.  This new album seems to be more solid from start to finish. 
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 14:20

Sad thing is that last.fm radio is for free just for USA and UK I believe. Or some other country, but not more than 4 countries. Not that I don't want to pay it, it's great source of new bands and I used it before I entered here, PA ranks, but still, (please don't take any offense), people in US&UK are considerable more wealthy than for example we, rest of Europe (most of it) and we don't get it for free. Little offtopic, but it bugged me for a while.

However, I acquired this album and it's surprising, that I'm still only one who reviewed it. Rather short review, but still, I can improve and make it longer. Which I'll do right now (After Genesis - Invisible Touch review, oh my god, sixth bad album in a row)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 14:24
Is it possible that the album is available for free streaming on Spotify?  I know that that is available in Europe, but it isn't available here yet in the USA.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 14:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that the song Sound of the Apocalypse can be ranked amongst the modern "masterpieces" in my opinion; the rest of that album is decent, but not at the level of the title song.  This new album seems to be more solid from start to finish. 

We bought Sound of the Apocalypse at NEARfest last year, and since then it has been a regular presence in our CD player. Retro-prog it may be, but exceptionally well-made, and luckily devoid of that contrived feel that plagues the sound of many bands that go the same route. Anyway, I agree with you that the title-track on that album stands head and shoulders over the rest. I first heard it on one of those free sampler CDs that come with Classic Rock magazine, and it made me want to hear more - hence my purchase of the album. I would very much like to hear Guillotine, but have had no opportunity so far - hopefully I'll get it to review some time in the next few months.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 14:59
I am a Microsoft Zune user (live in Washington...have to support them!!) I enjoy my Zune but the best is the Zune Pass on their Marketplace, unlimited downloads/streaming for a monthly fee (plug, plug..). I am listening to the album now.
Very retro...Deep Purple'ish and old Rainbow...especially Supersonic Man. Two other albums are available....Sound of the Apocalypse and Lady of the Light....Your thoughts on those two??

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 15:07
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

We bought Sound of the Apocalypse at NEARfest last year, and since then it has been a regular presence in our CD player. Retro-prog it may be, but exceptionally well-made, and luckily devoid of that contrived feel that plagues the sound of many bands that go the same route. Anyway, I agree with you that the title-track on that album stands head and shoulders over the rest. I first heard it on one of those free sampler CDs that come with Classic Rock magazine, and it made me want to hear more - hence my purchase of the album. I would very much like to hear Guillotine, but have had no opportunity so far - hopefully I'll get it to review some time in the next few months.
With your new connections, you probably just need to nudge the right tree to get the album to fall your way. LOL 

Last.FM happens to be a site that I use where the free streaming was available.  I'm not really familiar with too many of the pay to use sites like Zune or one of the other pay to use sites like Rhapsody or Napster or MySpace, but I imagine that the album might be on those as well. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 15:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am a Microsoft Zune user (live in Washington...have to support them!!) I enjoy my Zune but the best is the Zune Pass on their Marketplace, unlimited downloads/streaming for a monthly fee (plug, plug..). I am listening to the album now.
Very retro...Deep Purple'ish and old Rainbow...especially Supersonic Man. Two other albums are available....Sound of the Apocalypse and Lady of the Light....Your thoughts on those two??

In my opinion, the song Sound of the Apocalypse is a modern day masterpiece.  The rest of the album is a good listen, but to a lesser degree to the title song.  I've only listened to Lady of the Light a couple of times and I would say it is similar in nature to the rest of Sound of the Apocalypse.  I think that it is a worthwhile listen within the same Deep Purple and Rainbow vein.  There is probably nothing there to make anyone say "I am going to quit my job, drop my life, and go and follow Black Bonzo on the road wherever they may go..."  but then again there are very few bands that have that type of ability. LOL  If you can listen to them within your Zune package without any additional cost it would certainly be worth it, if nothing else so you can come back and let us know what you think.   
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 15:29

Easier for me to just download the albums then if I like I can keep them or just delete if I don't, its no additional cost unless I want to buy the album and own the DRM's But I usually will buy the hard CD or vinyl if available......Thanks for the suggestion. BB takes me back a few years...I like it ok.

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 17:32

As promised, I added something :-) maybe not truth at all, but it's my impression. And I welcome any opinions and suggestion, propositions, what to change etc

Originally posted by MartyMcFly MartyMcFly wrote:

EDIT: This is seriously music, where you can do quite a lot headbanging. Everything you always wanted since Deep Purple (and others, but these fits probably the most) using modern sound methods (clean sound - if they want) with more, much more prog elements. Melody is most usually not so complex, heavy dependent on riffs with more acoustic passages, however, notice the instruments and these little things that makes prog music so interesting. Not exactly sure what it is, but it's there. After all, something was responsible for my rating here, I don't give these things for cheap. So it's like "enhanced" Purple, even it's not entirely true.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 17:43
[/QUOTE]
In my opinion, the song Sound of the Apocalypse is a modern day masterpiece.  The rest of the album is a good listen, but to a lesser degree to the title song.  I've only listened to Lady of the Light a couple of times and I would say it is similar in nature to the rest of Sound of the Apocalypse.  I think that it is a worthwhile listen within the same Deep Purple and Rainbow vein.  There is probably nothing there to make anyone say "I am going to quit my job, drop my life, and go and follow Black Bonzo on the road wherever they may go..."  but then again there are very few bands that have that type of ability. LOL  If you can listen to them within your Zune package without any additional cost it would certainly be worth it, if nothing else so you can come back and let us know what you think.   [/QUOTE]

Ok...just finished listening to Sound of the Apocalypse..not too bad, may take a few listens to. Its tough for me cause I have not been much into older stuff from Genesis, Yes, Tull or Kansas. I have had my fill of that for awhile now and have been trying to explore more heavy prog/metal. So BB is a switch for me right now, I will say the title track is good, not sure I am ready (or will ever to call it a 'masterpiece'..).
And yes if I listen while thinking about old Rainbow I can get into it better.
Even their pictures on their website remind me of Deep Purple/Kansas 70's concert pics...
All in all good stuff.
Thanks Rushfan4.....

Cheers!

Edited by Catcher10 - January 08 2010 at 17:46
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 06:10
Only gave a couple of spins, but it still hasn't clicked like the previous two. I last heard it a week ago, and I can't remember a single note (unlike their previous works, which got stuck the first time I heard them). But I'll be sure to keep giving it a few more listens.

I understand the original keyboardist, Niklas, has left the band. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
Bigger on the inside.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 08:47
If you happen to be fortunate enough to live in or near Sweden, the band will be playing 3 shows next week:

Shows

[Upcoming shows]

2010.01.21 - Mullberget
Skellefteċ
Sweden
http://www.musikfabriken.org

2010.01.22 - Scharinska
Umeċ
Sweden
http://www.scharinska.se

2010.01.23 - Hellbar
Stockholm
Sweden
Http://www.gotohell.se

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 08:52
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Only gave a couple of spins, but it still hasn't clicked like the previous two. I last heard it a week ago, and I can't remember a single note (unlike their previous works, which got stuck the first time I heard them). But I'll be sure to keep giving it a few more listens.

I understand the original keyboardist, Niklas, has left the band. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
I've only given it a few listens myself.  One of my personal reasons for starting these threads is that it inspires me to choose an album to listen to multiple times and try and get to know better. 
Listening to it again, I think that this album may be more in the heavy rock vein and less in the symphonic vein than the previous albums.  Which leads me to another good personal reason for starting these threads.  I now really want, and need, to go back and listen to their 1st two albums, which I remember liking (and thinking that the song Sound of the Apocalypse is a masterpiece).  LOL 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 08:57
Oh yes.  I am really enjoying my listening to this CD today.  It must be really clicking with my mood or something.  I'm loving all of the hammond organ playing. 

Anyhow, just to mention in this thread, I have already selected my CD for discussion for February, and it is Shadow Circus' Whispers and Screams.  In case you haven't seen this thread http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64355&PID=3520795#3520795 the band are donating all proceeds from the sale of Whispers and Screams to help victims of the Haiti earthquake.  If you don't already have this CD, please consider going to their website and purchasing it.  And then look out for the discussion thread which I will create on February 1st, where we can all come together and discuss the album and all we like or may not like about it.  Cheers, and if you are not familiar with Shadow Circus, happy discoveries to you!
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 09:27
It's on my ever growing list of albums that I still need to listen to ... 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 12:50
That list of what to listen to definitely keeps growings and growing. LOL

Well, I just re-listened to Black Bonzo's debut and I quite enjoyed it again.  I'd say that it is of a similar nature to the new one.  It definitely has a retro Deep Purple/Rainbow vibe to it.  Great stuff in my opinion.  Now on to The Sound of the Apocalypse.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 13:49
Anyhow, continuing with my discussion, the rest of Sound of Apocalypse actually sounds better than I remember it.  Another very enjoyable listen.  And now for the epic Sound of the Apocalypse, which I already think of as a modern day masterpiece.  LOL  Of course, we all know how that goes, this listen won't be quite as good as I remember it.  Sort of like the other night when I went out for dessert at a place I had dessert a few months ago.  I remember thinking that the dessert was heavenly and I was really, really looking forward to it.  This time the dessert was good, but heavenly wasn't achieved.  I guess that my memory had set my expectations to high. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>