Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarxNutz the original Genesis fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MarxNutz the original Genesis fan
    Posted: May 20 2005 at 23:15
Hi all...

Just imagine it's December of 1973, and you're lying on the couch in your dad's living room watching The Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack.  He introduces this band from England called Genesis, and you see this guy with batwings coming out of his head and his eyes aglow from the blacklight!
   My first reaction was, "Who the hell ARE these guys???" as the opening chords of 'Watcher of the Skies' played... By the time the song ended, I was a converted prog fan!  Took two years to find a copy of anything by Genesis in Alabama, finally found Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot in a head shop.  In the meantime, I got into ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield and Uriah Heep.  Since those days, I've expanded my little prog universe with such groups as Camel, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Nektar, (amazing what you find in the markdown bin at the record store) Ant Phillips, Planet P, Marillion, Return To Forever, Steve Hackett OF COURSE!, Patrick Moraz, Rick Wakeman OF COURSE!, Vangelis, Steeleye Span... wow...
  I still look back at the prog world of the 70s with fondness, and hope to discover newer bands (I've listened to some but haven't actually taken them to heart yet, with the possible exception of IQ... nice)...
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 05:23
Welcome!
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
ita_prog_fan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 06:15

Originally posted by MarxNutz MarxNutz wrote:

Hi all...

Just imagine it's December of 1973, and you're lying on the couch in your dad's living room watching The Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack.  He introduces this band from England called Genesis, and you see this guy with batwings coming out of his head and his eyes aglow from the blacklight!
   My first reaction was, "Who the hell ARE these guys???" as the opening chords of 'Watcher of the Skies' played... By the time the song ended, I was a converted prog fan!  Took two years to find a copy of anything by Genesis in Alabama, finally found Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot in a head shop.  In the meantime, I got into ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield and Uriah Heep.  Since those days, I've expanded my little prog universe with such groups as Camel, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Nektar, (amazing what you find in the markdown bin at the record store) Ant Phillips, Planet P, Marillion, Return To Forever, Steve Hackett OF COURSE!, Patrick Moraz, Rick Wakeman OF COURSE!, Vangelis, Steeleye Span... wow...
  I still look back at the prog world of the 70s with fondness, and hope to discover newer bands (I've listened to some but haven't actually taken them to heart yet, with the possible exception of IQ... nice)...

WELCOME !

P.S. have you tried some italian prog ? 

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 12:43

Originally posted by MarxNutz MarxNutz wrote:

Hi all...

Welcome.

Go Alabama...home of Ken(The Snake) Stabler

RIP Bear Bryant.

Post Reply Post Reply