Topic ClosedKing Crimson album remixes to be continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson album remixes to be continued
    Posted: January 16 2010 at 06:50
I just read from Robert Fripp's blog that he started the work on the remixing of In The Wake Of Poseidon, Islands and Larks Tongues In Aspic. Again, the person behind the process is Steven Wilson. 

Our intended work this week is to mix / re-mix Poseidon in 5.1 & stereo, and re-mix Islands & Larks’ in stereo; both of the latter have already been mixed in 5.1. Poseidon has the disadvantage that we have not been able to find the original pre-bounce tracks. So, we can’t access the original individual mellotron parts. The main mellotron parts on Poseidon – the song is mixed together with acoustic guitar on a stereo pair; drums & bass are also on a stereo pair. Devil’s Triangle is missing lots of its constituent parts. Nevertheless, we have been able to significantly improve Peace, Pictures of a City, Cadence, Cat Food & Groon I…

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=16491

I have yet to see any release dates.

Edited by harmonium.ro - January 16 2010 at 06:53
Eapo_q42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 20:30
For anyone who bothered with the 40th anniversary edition remix of In The Court...

Is there any point? I have the 35th anniversary remaster, and the original master from before that, and I am really wondering just what exactly Steven Wilson could possibly do to make me spend my money again.

Any opinions?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 20:34
Haven't you read about it? They had found the original master tapes (thought to had been lost forever) and they completely re-did the mixing, without having to overdub more instruments per channel, in order to squeeze all the instruments on the 8 channels like they did in 1969. Everybody says that the improvement over any other editions is amazing.
Eapo_q42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 20:37
Well, that's a pain in the ass. I only bought the 35th anniversary one last year, hehe.

Now, then, onto the upcoming remasters....are they all expected to show such huge improvement?

EDIT: by last year, i meant 2008! January of a new year....gets me every time....

Edited by Eapo_q42 - January 18 2010 at 20:38
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 20:44
I'm tempted to check the difference between the orignal Islands and the remixed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 07:00
Well, the new set of remixes (Poseidon in particular) will NOT be as revolutionary as the first set, even Fripp states that in the link I gave in the OP.
On the audiophile forum where I asked for opinions, people said that the improvement over the recent editions was impressive, but that doesn't mean one should necessarily buy the new remixes, as the old remasters were also excellent. This is why I didn't buy the new remixes, as I listen through a minimal computer system, I would probably feel no difference.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 12:20
Sigh....... I have original vinyl copies. I think I`ll live.
heavyhallis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 13:18
I think I´ll live without it too. You don´t enhance Rembrandt´s paintings to 3D, do you?
I will never forget when I first heard ItCotCK the first time (I was fourteen then in 1970)! The most amazing musical experience of my life! Not to mention "Sailors tale" a few years later!
The following 8 KC albums are the synthesis of 70:s prog. Fripp was a hero to me (among a lot of others of course, VDGG, GG, Yes, Genesis) but now he seems to have become just an old Scrooge. Supporting PT at Empire Sheperds Bush in 2006, playing 45min. of Soundscapes and the way he was checking his watch for fulltime now and then, was really sad to see. Unfortunally other heroes seem to follow his path. (no names but one is a close collaborator of his). Things used to be better...

Edited by heavyhallis - January 19 2010 at 14:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 14:53
Yeah Bob can be a grouch. I just make do with the older gems. I think for all intents and puposes KC is dead. But if ,all of a sudden, they went on a blowout world tour we'd all be lining up no doubt. It makes me wonder why bands like Jethro Tull, Nektar and the new Focus have no hangups about their past identities.
Eapo_q42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 16:11
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Well, the new set of remixes (Poseidon in particular) will NOT be as revolutionary as the first set, even Fripp states that in the link I gave in the OP.
On the audiophile forum where I asked for opinions, people said that the improvement over the recent editions was impressive, but that doesn't mean one should necessarily buy the new remixes, as the old remasters were also excellent. This is why I didn't buy the new remixes, as I listen through a minimal computer system, I would probably feel no difference.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I love, love, love good sound quality, but I'd say I stop *just* short of calling myself an audiophile, so maybe I'll just enjoy my 35th anniversary editions.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 16:03
Some good news:

Steven has discovered a different track arrangement for ITWOP – the album, enabling us to remix ITWOP – the song. The rhythm section, guitar & mellotron are on separate tracks - wonderment, joy & bliss arising! - the new stereo mix accomplished c. 14.05. The drums are much improved & the song overall significantly enhanced. Steven will set up the 5.1 & I shall return on Friday afternoon, following the working at Studio Jakko.

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=16633
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 23:12
I could really use a better version of Islands. That whine all throughout the title track is really frustrating.
sparkslive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 04:53
Originally posted by Eapo_q42 Eapo_q42 wrote:

For anyone who bothered with the 40th anniversary edition remix of In The Court...

Is there any point? I have the 35th anniversary remaster, and the original master from before that, and I am really wondering just what exactly Steven Wilson could possibly do to make me spend my money again.

Any opinions?

There are currently plenty reviews about the King Crimson 40th anniversary releases.

http://www.adequacy.net/2009/12/king-crimson-in-the-court-of-the-crimson-king-40th-anniversary-edition/ 

http://blog.billkopp.com/?p=121 

http://blog.risingspiral.com/?p=2125

http://twistedspork.blogspot.com/2009/12/king-crimson-in-court-of-crimson-king.html

http://www.bigtakeover.com/reviews/king-crimson-in-the-court-of-the-crimson-king-red-40th-anniversary-series-discipline-global-mobile-inner-knot

I can only add, if you don’t own a 5:1 sound system, this may be a good time to purchase. but the stereo sounds good too and if you have a dvd connected, your on the road to happiness.

My immediate reaction while listening to Red, was to reach for the hammer and smash my iPod to bits, nice going Steve, now I’m out a perfectly good tune player. Glad I didn’t find a hammer quick enough and saved the pod from destruction. 

Steve’s ear for surround sound is nothing short of perfection.With Red, he puts you in the middle of the three musicians. When you have a set up that will allow you to fully enjoy this 5:1 listening experience, there’s no other playback available to make this sound any better. The Steve Wilson Robert Fripp team have set a new standard for future reissues and perhaps, new releases.

Yeah you can hear a difference with the 5.1 mix. All the stuff I listen to is stereo. So, it's nice to listen when I have a chance.

The surround sound is an essential part of a Home Theater. The system gives more depth and expansion to the sound track. The Blu-ray deck I have will handle 7.1 but in a small room 6 channel Discrete is ample. and I don't have a 7.1 amp. there are systems out now with 10.2 sound.

With this set up for Music it puts you in the middle of the sound. Not like live sound where your being hit from the front. My amp also has setting for Hall, Club, Live, Theater and sim surround. Venues vary with acoustics so it gives you more chioces but the 5.1 makes music sound really full if you have the time to sit and enjoy. For the most part we're in the car or have the buds in or at a PC. My sound system at work was nothing more then a henri kloss Tivoli with my 16g nano. used to have it connected to a discman and lugged lots of CD's but sometimes we do things for convenience.  

To be sure you can try taking your 35th (30th) anniversary to a stereo shop. They most likey have a room set up for 5.1 and ask to listen to a sample.

< id=download =AttachmentDownload Spacing=0 marginHeight=0 Border=0 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no>
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 09:35

Any opinions?

I'd hang on for the 45th Aniversary editions if i was you Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 11:43
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Any opinions?

I'd hang on for the 45th Aniversary editions if i was you Wink
Speaking as someone who has bought the original LPs, CDs, some remasters, etc. I'm a little jealous of those who are getting into the band and acquiring the latest and greatest.  However, I can wait for the 45th anniversary to reacquire. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 13:42
I think that's what gave the older music character. The sometimes not up-tp scratch recordings. I have a friend who is a audio junkie and he'll play me a remaster of an ancient Led Zep album and point ou t all these little things and I'll just say, Yeah OK. He's got a bloody mixer that looks not unlike the flight deck of the Space Shuttle. My originals do the trick for me on my 30 year-old Micro Seiki turntable on my Telefunken speakers that were given to me by a friend's dad in the 70s. I would think that they date from the sixties.  I just don't get it man!
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 13:49
Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

I could really use a better version of Islands. That whine all throughout the title track is really frustrating.

Rip the mf'er at 64 kpbs and the whine vanishes.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 13:57

Any opinions?

I ended up getting the two CD edition that has the 2009 remix, the 2004 master edition and a boatload of bonus tracks on both discs. I skipped the DVD/5.1 gobbledygook because I don't have 400 dollars lying around to spend on some fancy new system. CDs and two speakers are just fine, thank you very much. Now, as for the remix, it works alright. Less hiss, for one thing. The drums feel a bit louder and everything is spaced out just a bit more. Oh, and Moonchild loses three extraneous minutes.

Is it worth it? The remix is okay, but the really juicy bit comes in the form of bonus material.

Edited by WalterDigsTunes - March 02 2010 at 13:57
sparkslive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 02:37

At the current rate they won't be ready untill the 45th.

Slartibartfast, are you sure you don't have any 8 tracks?

V baby, sounds like your pal likes to hear his music well.

Edited by sparkslive - March 03 2010 at 02:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 10:05
I like to hear the music the way it was meant to be heard. He likes to hear it the way it was not meant to be heard.

With all this remastering the music loses it's essence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>