Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Guru Guru appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 15:49
nice thread Clap  here two pics I took some weeks ago

http://rivertree.de/concerts/guruguru/mani01.jpg

http://rivertree.de/concerts/guruguru/mani02.jpg

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 22:54
I've enjoyed the two tracks available on last.fm from Känguru so far, I think I'll check it out first.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 13:01
The band that got me into freaky  music. After Kanguru I never looked back. Didn't listen to the mainstream at all. Then came Grobschnitt, Amon Duul II, Jane, Kin Ping Meh, Pell Mell, Jane, Ash Ra Tempel,Geronimo, Birth Control, Frumpy etc. etc. I would buy anything from Germany that looked weird. But Guru Guru blew me away completely with UFO. I remember calling my friend over to listen to it with after it arrived from a second hand dealer who had conections in Europe. No internet back then! All my friend said was " That's f**ked up sh*t man!". Nothing will ever come close to UFO. Completely "out there".
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 13:25
Great band, my favourites are the first four

Clijsters View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 18:37
I Love guru guru, they ar so cool!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 06:46
One of my all time favorites. Guru, Guru live in 1978 is just an amazing cd. I bought it back in 2001 and it might be out of print I'm not sure. But anyone who is fond of the band and has not heard this concert is re, truly missing something great. Some of the instrumental tracks with Sax, guitar, bass, and drums are in the Passport vain. I don't even like to compare but, it's vital to bring out the diversity of this band in that fashion. My God! They are such a tight unit on live 78'. They do an excellent job performing the early material.

Dance of the Flames, where they had a guitarist on board that was influenced by McLaughlin. Early Mahavishnu style. But the album itself shines through with Guru, Guru sensibilities. Guru, Guru, Mani and some Friends is a classic for me. Kanguru is my favorite from the early period. I have a double disc on the Purple Pyramid label titled "The Very Best Of Guru, Guru. It's a great collection for a person who wants to hear the band for the first time. The Mask is a strange collection of odds and ends. I paid about 50 dollars for it. I found out later that I was paying for the mask mostly and not the disc. Some of the material was obviously transferred from vinyl as you can hear the pops.

I was told back in 1980 that this band was krautrock with a sense of humour. It made me more than interested at that time and so my first purchase was "The Very Best of Guru, Guru' on vinyl. A kind of flimsy import jacket with a photograph of the 3 piece line up on the front. It contained about 4 or 5 tracks. Back in 1974, I used to see albums in the bargain bins at Wilmington Dry Goods. Lucifer's Friend, Jane, Epitaph etc. Krautrock bands on the Billingsgate label. A domestic label. That was the very first time I saw the name Guru, Guru and it was advertised on the inner sleeve jackets of Billingsgate albums. Don't Call Us, We Call You is a strange album. Tango Fango and Globetrotter had some material that I would personally consider filler. Although those albums did have some beautiful instrumental tracks. Even though the jazzy period of the band was one of my favorites, I didn't rate or associate that period with the  Tango Fango and Globetrotter output. They were lack-luster in sections and did not fully represent the band's potential in jazz/rock fusion. Mani and Friends and Live 78' did more for me in that particular area of style. Both titles are a true representation of the band's exploitation into a jazz/rock feel. The band was also very spaced out and made me laugh quite a bit. 1970 to 1978 was very magical for me.  
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 15:54
I yust got my first album by them today "Känguru" found it in a second hand music shop for a very nice price, sounded very nice on the first listen. Thumbs Up Looking forward geting more stuff by em later...

Edited by Zargus - January 27 2010 at 15:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 15:55
Something to look out for is Uncuts.  It pops up now and then on rare album sites. I dug it out of a 2nd hand shop in Montréal for $20. It's got ex Gila guitarist Connie Viet taking the place of Nejadepour and he does a suprisingly good job on a few tracks from Dance of The Flames plus some jamming. Quality isn't that great because it was recorded from a radio broadcast but it's the only live stuff that I know of featuring material from Dance Of The Flames. Nejadepour only stuck around for a few months and left just after the album was completed and he did very few live gigs with them. I think I reviewed it as well some time back. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 19:20
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

I yust got my first album by them today "Känguru" found it in a second hand music shop for a very nice price, sounded very nice on the first listen. Thumbs Up Looking forward geting more stuff by em later...

that's funny...   that is exactly how how I got into them.  Found a copy of that album in a book store/music shop in Adams Morgan here in D.C.  Was hooked on the first listen... Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 19:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that's funny...   that is exactly how how I got into them.  Found a copy of that album in a book store/music shop in Adams Morgan here in D.C.  Was hooked on the first listen... Heart

I saw this album, "Känguru", and some other in a store a couple of days ago. But they were painfully expensive... Ouch

Edited by Tuzvihar - January 30 2010 at 19:29
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 19:32
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

I saw this album, "Känguru", and some other in a store a couple of days ago. But they were painfully expensive... Ouch

yeah...  it wasn't cheap and weren't lucky like Zargus and got a second hand copy...it was about $30 for our copy.... but it was worth it. It sounds good in the stereo of doom here with the volume on 11.... but I really dig that kind of music.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 05:32

yeah...  it wasn't cheap and weren't lucky like Zargus and got a second hand copy...it was about $30 for our copy.... but it was worth it. It sounds good in the stereo of doom here with the volume on 11.... but I really dig that kind of music.

Yes, that's about the prize they cost here. But I've got a couple of albums by Amon Duul II, being not that very fond of them (though I don't despise them), and  from the bits I listened to in the store Guru Guru sounds similar to them so I didn't want to spend that much money on them...
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 10:23

Yes, that's about the prize they cost here. But I've got a couple of albums by Amon Duul II, being not that very fond of them (though I don't despise them), and  from the bits I listened to in the store Guru Guru sounds similar to them so I didn't want to spend that much money on them...

that album does...  though ADII has far more powerful vocals.. especially when Renata opens the golden pipes.. but musically/stylistically?... yeah..  those early Guru Guru are prime albums for ADII fans.  However if that isn't your cup of tea..  check out later Guru Guru albums..  very different... the Baldies can steer you right I'm sure.  I've only started getting into them.  They're the experts haha.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 14:02
Listened to Guru Guru's self titled (third?) album. It was better that I remembered. Even liked the Rock' Roll medley :)

Damn fine musicians. 

Edited by Rottenhat - January 31 2010 at 14:04
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 14:03
Listen to Guru Guru 88 and it doesn't even sound anything like the early stuff. There's even a female vocalist. That's the beauty of Guru Guru. No two albums the same. But there's always that tinge of wackiness from Mani. I'm listening to Kanguru right now and after over 30 years it still blows my mind. Those who are into the early stuff should also check out Ax Genrich's solo albums Psychedelic Guitar and Wave Cut. I haven't heard the Psychedelic Monsterjam albums but they must be pretty freaked out. Limited pressings though.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 14:07
Did Guru Guru make a album called 88???  Isn't that a neo-nazi code word  for HH (Heil Hitler). the eight letter in the alphabet?

Edited by Rottenhat - January 31 2010 at 14:10
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 14:41
They made it in the year 1988. It features a female vocalist who sounds like Lene Lovich at times. I don't think the album has anything to do with neo-nazism.

I wish people would pay more attention to some of the later Guru Guru albums because there's some freaked out stuff on albums like Wah Wah and Shake Well. Even Guru Guru 88 has some wacky stuff on it despite a more poppy sound.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - January 31 2010 at 14:46
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 03:18
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

They made it in the year 1988. It features a female vocalist who sounds like Lene Lovich at times. I don't think the album has anything to do with neo-nazism.

I wish people would pay more attention to some of the later Guru Guru albums because there's some freaked out stuff on albums like Wah Wah and Shake Well. Even Guru Guru 88 has some wacky stuff on it despite a more poppy sound.

To believe that Guru Guru secretly support Neo-Nazis is absolutely absurd. Mani has often voiced his opinion about them and often played on festivals that were organised by anit-Nazi movements.
They probably called the album "Guru Guru 88" because of a German expression, "Egal ist 88". "Egal" literally means "it doesn't matter", and since it does not matter which way you look at 88, it will always remain 88, this expression came up.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 10:24
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

To believe that Guru Guru secretly support Neo-Nazis is absolutely absurd. Mani has often voiced his opinion about them and often played on festivals that were organised by anit-Nazi movements.
They probably called the album "Guru Guru 88" because of a German expression, "Egal ist 88". "Egal" literally means "it doesn't matter", and since it does not matter which way you look at 88, it will always remain 88, this expression came up.
On the other hand - GG is one letter in the alphabet before HH; When Guru Guru sing it's usually in German, which is the same language that Mein Kampf was written in; Mani Neumaier plays the drums, a popular instrument with 3rd reich marching bands. Clearly Mani und seine freunde are slightly to the right of Christian Vander Wink.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 10:44
Off the topic of Guru Guru secretly being neo-Nazis, I as well got my first album, UFO.  I think it's pretty awesome, definitely going to be picking up more. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>