Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Guru Guru appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 11:00
Enjoy

this still sends shiver down my spine sołe 30 years later....
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 13:43
Completely wacked! Do these guys look like neo-nazis? Not. There's more of that on their first two albums. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 19:26
Quote ... Unfortunately I suspect I would probably loathe their earlier 'kosmisch hippy ding' as a live version of Elektrolurch Mutation is the bonus track on Psy. (and frankly, I've heard better from air conditioning units - but it's my loss) ...

I never once thought that there was anything "kosmic" about this band ... or Amon Duul 2 (who made fun of it even!) ... in my book, and all the way past Tango Fango and Dance of the Flames ... this was ... for all intents and purposes, what you would like to hear from a Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughn (for example)  ... music that provided a backdrop for the expanding of the music ... to experiment ... and you can listen to all of these guitarists that have worked with Mani ... and they all have flourished and done some excellent and amazing work ...

But all of this is not so much a "dope" or "cosmic" thing ... which is a totally American thing, as much as it is a measure of the artistic trends in that time and place in Europe ... dude ... all of these bands were doing experimentations and improvisations, and we love them all (just about) ... and still talk about them 40 years later ... what more can you ask for ... from a piece of music?

In the end, Mani deserves his name amidst the great experimenters and flow drummers around ... and unlike the majority of rock drummers out there ... you will rarely get bored with this guy ... he simply doesn't repeat himself that much ... and that awful and non musical snare drum every 4th beath! ...

The only other rock drummer that comes to this level as Mani ... is the late Pierre Moerlin ... you're dealing with people with insanely high musical IQ ... and they are/were not afraid to trip around and experiment ... and this is what music had in those days, that is missing today ... and badly!  ... too much "prog" has no "soul" in it ... because it is composed music that is just like all the other music out there ... and some lyrics make you "THINK" that it is important.

It's like saying that Jimi's meandering is not what ended up defining a lot of prog and music that is more than just pop music today ... and the main reason why we remember Jimi today ... crazy, experimental, original ... and yeah .. .he was a bit of a showman ... but he knew what he was doing ... and for the first 10 years ... Guru Guru stands out as some of the best ... very best ... and deserves that credit ... and their venue ... you could say was "rock'n'roll" ... not some ... imaginary drug trip or cosmic thing, as Ash Ra Tempel kinda did ... (some ... not really!) ... nearly all of the guitarists in any Guru Guru album are probably going crazy ... because Mani is probably telling them ... I heard that already ... I want something else!

One more comment here ... Mani comes from the highly evolved communes that were involved in a lot of things and he knows and remembers well what it is to have a "sceance", or "meditation" or "play drums" ... which for him is probably the same thing. He also knows that politics in his field and country is ... dangerous business ... but he knows that he can entertain and get people to appreciate a trip and enjoy it at the same time ... and a Guru Guru concert was about that a lot of times, even a long time ago ... see the picture ... and the fun for it ... and then ... go hear "Das Lebendige Radio" from the Tango Fango album ... it really says it all ... they mixed a little this and that and this and that ... and you have some german cooking ... and you don't like the food?

... and when you hear this ... find it in your heart to remember that the Wall was still up ... and that folks across the way could not get a Beatles album or Rolling Stones ... much less even hear anything else as controversial/subversive ... as an anti this or that ... and Mani and his group did really well ... and should be respected as artists ... that stood up for what is right ... the same freedoms that you fight for ... (hopefully) ... and talk about in America ... but some of us seem to not give a damn when you see someone else in the same predicament.

Edited by moshkito - February 04 2010 at 20:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 16:02
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Enjoy

this still sends shiver down my spine sołe 30 years later....
That was the first song i heard by em, it got me intrested right away, damn awsome! Shocked
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 16:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

I yust got my first album by them today "Känguru" found it in a second hand music shop for a very nice price, sounded very nice on the first listen. Thumbs Up Looking forward geting more stuff by em later...

that's funny...   that is exactly how how I got into them.  Found a copy of that album in a book store/music shop in Adams Morgan here in D.C.  Was hooked on the first listen... Heart

I saw this album, "Känguru", and some other in a store a couple of days ago. But they were painfully expensive... Ouch

yeah...  it wasn't cheap and weren't lucky like Zargus and got a second hand copy...it was about $30 for our copy.... but it was worth it. It sounds good in the stereo of doom here with the volume on 11.... but I really dig that kind of music.

Yes, that's about the prize they cost here. But I've got a couple of albums by Amon Duul II, being not that very fond of them (though I don't despise them), and  from the bits I listened to in the store Guru Guru sounds similar to them so I didn't want to spend that much money on them...

that album does...  though ADII has far more powerful vocals.. especially when Renata opens the golden pipes.. but musically/stylistically?... yeah..  those early Guru Guru are prime albums for ADII fans.  However if that isn't your cup of tea..  check out later Guru Guru albums..  very different... the Baldies can steer you right I'm sure.  I've only started getting into them.  They're the experts haha.

Well your copies must have been the newest remaster then, my was probobly the first reales on CD from 92, but sounded pretty good anyway, even tough it hade some scratches. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123