Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtomic Rooster is underrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 15:17
No I've been thinking about getting Come Taste the Band, but wasn't sure as it was without Blackmore if that would be any good.  I'm guessing it's worth it anyway.  That will most likely be my next DP purchase then.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 15:17
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

^I've actually started getting into Coverdale/Hughes era DP...picking up Stormbringer (an excellent album) and Burn (also pretty damn good) lately.  Funny enough, with the exception of In Rock, I haven't really gotten into Gillan-era DP.

Do you have Come Taste the Band? That's my favorite with Stormbringer and Fireball up there.

Wonderful album, with some top-notch vocal performances, and great guitar work by the late Tommy Bolin.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 15:19
Possibly it is not very traditional point of view, but I especially like AR album " Made In England". It is different from some previous ones in musical sound, but I like it more and more with time .
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 15:22

No I've been thinking about getting Come Taste the Band, but wasn't sure as it was without Blackmore if that would be any good.  I'm guessing it's worth it anyway.  That will most likely be my next DP purchase then.

Stormbringer isn't much about Blackmore, don't you think?

Tommy Bolin(the guitarist who replaced Ritchie) is a very fine guitarist and adds to the band a very funky edge. He even played in the popular Jazz Rock record by Billy Cobham, Spectrum, if you haven't heard that already you should get it as soon as possibleWink Though I'm not sure how much of jazz rock fan you are.

Here's a video from the Bolin-era:

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 15:23
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Possibly it is not very traditional point of view, but I especially like AR album " Made In England". It is different from some previous ones in musical sound, but I like it more and more with time .

I like it quite a bit, Nice n' Greasy is very similar though with some greater songs in my opinion.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 17:57

I really love Death Walks Behind You, but have to admit, I've never heard any of their other output, even though I first heard DWBY 15 years ago.  Recently bought a remastered version to replace the LP I used to have of it, and other albums are on my future purchases list though.  Where should I go next?
In Hearing is the one you might want to check out first. Made In England features interesting songs but is more in the vain of soul music, as In Hearing being more progressive than Death Walks but still rocks out.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 18:19

Songs like "Gettin' Tighter' are reminiscent of James Gang material from the period of Bang and Miami. Bolin was a decent guitarist and it's a shame that he fried his brain. 
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 02:19
Don't know if they're underrated, but perhaps of more interest to those who love heavy, Hammond-driven 70s rock. I like Death Walks Behind You. Tried some other albums, but they never clicked. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 02:35
I guess there's always been at least three flavours of Rooster on the platter at any one time i.e. the heavy riffing plain vanilla rock critter, the proggier instrumental beastie of VUG, Gershatzer and Death Walks Behind You etc (my personal preference) and the funkier R'n'B thang with Chris Farlowe in the lineup. The description of underrated is practically meaningless now I fear as most people really mean 'not as popular or as successful as they deserved to be' (but that's a bit of a mouthful ain't it ?)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 08:31
AR Made In England guitarist Steve Bolton is also good as a member of Headstone, the only album of which i have heard is the self-titled one from 1975. Some very unique music. 
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 08:37
So underrated and so awesome. My wet dream is that I play keyboards and sing on Tomorrow Night with a couple of friends.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12