Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for John Zorn Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for John Zorn Recommendations
    Posted: January 27 2010 at 17:33
hey everyone. I own 2 John Zorn albums "Naked City" and "50th Birthday Celebration, Vol 4 Electric Masada"

i enjoy them both very much, and I can see Zorn's music must be very diverse. I got Naked City because it seems to be his most popular album, and I like the Mr. Bungle feel to it (i know it came out before any of Mr. Bungle's albums came out) and i also like the diverse influences.

i enjoy the Electric Masada one even more because it has a lot of jazz-fusion going on, mixed with the John Zorn chaos, haha.

so going by this, I would like to know what the best album to get next would be. Im definitely interested in his jazz-fusion works, but it seems to be scattered about his discography; which is quite large and intimidating.

As an owner of almost ALL Frank Zappa albums, and many many Miles Davis albums, I can be patient with John Zorn's large output. But again, dont know where to go next after the albums I already know.

any help is greatly appreciated, and if you want to give multiple recommendations, go for it. Thanks.
SFranke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 18:42
I honestly know only a little more about Zorn than you do, but I think you'll be happy purchasing At the Mountains of Madness. It's listed under John Zorn here, but the album is by the Electric Masada. It's fusion, it's metal, it's experimental, it's live, and it's good.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 01:35
At the Mountains of Madness is great, but awfully similar to 50th Birthday Celebration Vol.4, so I think something else would be better. You'll definitely have to get your hands on The Circle Maker; excellent avant-chamber-jazz/klezmer (Bar Kokhba is similar and probably just as good, too).
If you enjoyed Naked City, you might want to get your hands on one of the Moonchild Trio albums, of which I'd say Six Litanies is the strongest.
Other favourites of mine are Spy vs. Spy (free jazz, covers of ornette coleman), The Big Gundown (Covers of Ennio Morricone), Spillane, Lucifer: Book of angels Vol 10 (more chamber-jazz/klezmer with some bluesy guitar), or one of the acoustic Masada albums (Live at Sevilla is a favourite).

I haven't heard any of his modern classical or filmworks stuff, but you really can't go wrong with any of the material above. Thumbs Up

[/fanboy]

Edited by Sckxyss - January 28 2010 at 01:38
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 01:59
Originally posted by SFranke SFranke wrote:

I honestly know only a little more about Zorn than you do, but I think you'll be happy purchasing At the Mountains of Madness. It's listed under John Zorn here, but the album is by the Electric Masada. It's fusion, it's metal, it's experimental, it's live, and it's good.
It is under Electric Masada on PA now Wink.

I have some Zorn albums collection. If you like his most balance jazz-fusion-avant works, it's Electric Masada (really just two formal albums). Naked City is his more hard-core works, also one of his best IMO. Than, "Spillane" (solo Zorn's album) is great entrance to his movie series, accessible and interesting work as well."Spy vs Spy"  is in some sense nearest work to Naked City, but includes hard-core free jazz, very high energy, but a bit boring for me (IMO not for everyone's taste).

Few Zorn's solo fresh works are very good . I can recommend "Alhambra Love Songs" and "O'o" from last year. Just note Zorn doesn't play there himself.

Masad String Trio/ Bar Kokhba have great album "The Circle Maker", really more jazzy work.

If you're interested in some Zorns radical experimentation, just can try Hemophiliac's works, but be ready to free form music combining Zorn's sax, Ikue Mori's electronics and Mike Patton's voices (not really vocal).

By the way, from now all Zorn projects are separated on PA!
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 04:20
Check out Praxis' album 'sacrifist' it features John Zorn, and is in the line of Zorn's jazzcore albums with some dub thrown in.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 13:34
thanks guys, appreciate it. i definitely want to check out the other electric masada album, and Moonchild sounds interesting. bring on more recommendations!
 Post Reply Post Reply