Topic ClosedAlan Reed sacked by Pallas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alan Reed sacked by Pallas
    Posted: January 28 2010 at 16:31
Probably at least one more side to this story, this one is from Alan Reed's Facebook page:

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is with great regret that I must tell you that I am no longer a member of Pallas.

This is not a situation of my desire or choosing. I have been unceremoniously informed that the other members of the band have unanimously decided to sack me. This has happened without prior warning or discussion.

The purported reason is an alleged lack of commitment on my part to the band and the forthcoming album. My external activities with other projects is cited in support of this.

I can only express my sadness that I will no longer be part of the Pallas story. The new album was/is shaping up to be a good one, and I was looking forward to participating fully in it.

I take extreme exception to the suggestion that I was not committed to the band. As I'm sure anyone who knows me will testify, I've been passionate about Pallas since I first joined 25 years ago. I've also been very active in the organisation of the band on many levels.

I can't begin to say how angry and hurt I feel at the way this has been done. We've all been through a lot together over the years, and I've always considered every member of the band and crew a close personal friend. I'd like to say that I wish Graeme, Niall, Ronnie and Colin the best of luck without me - but as you will understand, such Machiavellian treatment leaves a bitter taste. However, I am not and never have been vengeful, and perhaps in the fullness of time we'll speak again.. But this is a betrayal that is not easily forgiven.

As for my own future, it's too early to say. I had not anticipated this, and was expecting a full programme of Pallas-related activity over the next year. Whatever my next move is, it's likely to sound very different. I hope you will continue to offer me the same support and friendship that I have enjoyed up until now.

Alan Reed
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 17:30
...and here's the reply by Pallas (nipped from quote on Prog Ears):

----------------------------------

Today is a sad day. Playing in a band is like being in a marriage, only there are five partners instead of two. It is complicated. No one goes into a marriage expecting to get divorced. Alan has been a member of Pallas for many years, but the sad inescapable truth is that Alan, and the other members of the band have slowly drifted apart over the last couple of years.
No one set out with the intention that this should happen. It just has. It is partly due to the geographical problems of living at opposite ends of the UK. Alan has been unable to attend a Pallas rehearsal in the last five years, and writing music together when you are 500 miles apart is difficult. Sometimes people just grow apart as their ideas and interests change. During the last set of UK gigs Alan did not travel with the rest of the band members and barely spoke to any of the rest of the band during the two days we were together. There was no discussion about the new album, no laughs with the rest of us. It was all very uncomfortable. None of us have had any communication from Alan since the Peel. At a time when we are starting to record a new album that seemed very odd.
Yesterday was a very sad day for me. It fell on me on behalf of the rest of the band to tell Alan that we wanted a divorce. Nothing Machiavellian, nothing gutless, nothing underhand, nothing vindictive. There is no good time to tell someone something like this. There is no good way to tell someone something like this. We are all very sad, and I, and the guys, knew how hurt Alan would be, understandably, but the fact is the relationship had broken down, to a point where we wanted a divorce.
The reason we play in Pallas is for the enjoyment and for the love of the music. If we are not enjoying it then there is no point and the band would simply die, like a loveless marriage. We were not enjoying the fact that the relationship had broken down. I don't propose to discuss the breakdown its not appropriate, it just happened. It's sad.
Pallas will continue. We continue to work on XXV, and it will come out later this year. We will be touring, We will be playing at Progeny, We look forward to seeing you all and hopefully to your ongoing support.
We wish Alan well. There is no ill will on our part and we are sure that Alan will be fronting another band before long, and we look forward to that. We would like to remain friends.
I had asked Alan to call me today after our call yesterday. He was very angry on the phone and I totally understand that. I had hoped that I could talk to him today and explain some of these things to him personally before any announcement was made about the situation. Unfortunately, I am having to say them publicly. I hope this helps balance the equation and that it may give an insight into the other side of this unhappy story. On behalf of the members of Pallas,
Graeme

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
tonyR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 17:55
This indeed is a sad day....Cry
I am will always be a huge fan of Pallas
But I am not sure what to think now

Alan best wishes to you and im sure you we have not heard the last of you

Keep proggin

Dj Tony
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 18:17
Well sh*t.

Orford leaves IQ...Frequency disappoints.

Reed's kicked out of Pallas...XXV ...?

At least the core or the musical band is still there. I only hope that they don't become generic neo-prog. These last few Pallas albums had definitely been inspired and no matter what Alan's unique voice will make this new lineup tough to swallow.
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 00:28
Frequency disappoints? It's a masterpiece! (and I am an IQ fan since 1983)
Well in any case, I hope they get Lawson back!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 03:19
Let's hope it's just a tiff and they can patch things up. Doesn't sound too hopeful though.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 03:26
Graeme has posted a statement......................

"
Re: [Eyes in the Net] The game is NOT over..

Today is a sad day. Playing in a band is like being in a marriage,
only there are five partners instead of two. It is complicated. No
one goes into a marriage expecting to get divorced. Alan has been a
member of Pallas for many years, but the sad inescapable truth is that
Alan, and the other members of the band have slowly drifted apart over
the last couple of years.

No one set out with the intention that this should happen. It just
has. It is partly due to the geographical problems of living at
opposite ends of the UK. Alan has been unable to attend a Pallas
rehearsal in the last five years, and writing music together when you
are 500 miles apart is difficult. Sometimes people just grow apart as
their ideas and interests change. During the last set of UK gigs Alan
did not travel with the rest of the band members and barely spoke to
any of the rest of the band during the two days we were together.
There was no discussion about the new album, no laughs with the rest
of us. It was all very uncomfortable. None of us have had any
communication from Alan since the Peel. At a time when we are starting
to record a new album that seemed very odd.

Yesterday was a very sad day for me. It fell on me on behalf of the
rest of the band to tell Alan that we wanted a divorce. Nothing
Machiavellian, nothing gutless, nothing underhand, nothing vindictive.
There is no good time to tell someone something like this. There is no
good way to tell someone something like this. We are all very sad, and
I, and the guys, knew how hurt Alan would be, understandably, but the
fact is the relationship had broken down, to a point where we wanted a
divorce.

The reason we play in Pallas is for the enjoyment and for the love of
the music. If we are not enjoying it then there is no point and the
band would simply die, like a loveless marriage. We were not enjoying
the fact that the relationship had broken down. I don’t propose to
discuss the breakdown its not appropriate, it just happened. It’s sad.

Pallas will continue. We continue to work on XXV, and it will come out
later this year. We will be touring, We will be playing at Progeny, We
look forward to seeing you all and hopefully to your ongoing support.

We wish Alan well. There is no ill will on our part and we are sure
that Alan will be fronting another band before long, and we look
forward to that. We would like to remain friends.

I had asked Alan to call me today after our call yesterday. He was
very angry on the phone and I totally understand that. I had hoped
that I could talk to him today and explain some of these things to him
personally before any announcement was made about the situation.
Unfortunately, I am having to say them publicly. I hope this helps
balance the equation and that it may give an insight into the other
side of this unhappy story. On behalf of the members of Pallas,

Graeme

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 08:57
I have always had a soft spot for Pallas, even if it's only to poke fun at certain forum members over the band's choice of album artwork (I'm naming no names Tongue) *ducks for cover*

Seriously though, this is sad news indeed. No-one wins in this kind of situation. It's obvious that tempers are riding high right now and that is understandable. The best thing anyone can do is wish both parties all the best for the future and hope that somewhere down the line, they can rebuild some bridges.

I think Alan will have no problem finding a new way forward musically considering his pedigree and from what I've seen elsewhere on the net, the guys in Pallas already have a replacement frontman sorted.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 10:45
Originally posted by aprusso aprusso wrote:

Feels like Ever pt II with less catchy ideas.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 10:46
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

I have always had a soft spot for Pallas, even if it's only to poke fun at certain forum members over the band's choice of album artwork (I'm naming no names Tongue) *ducks for cover*

Jim hasn't pissed on Pallas in years! Cry
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 10:55
"Alan has been unable to attend a Pallas rehearsal in the last five years" - that can't have helped.

I suspect it isn't a coincidence that this all happened soon after Jim Garten found out about the new Pallas album. It's all a plot!

Edited by chopper - January 29 2010 at 10:56
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 11:24
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Actually, it sounded to me like a hybrid of Ever, Seventh House and Dark Matter, with a bit less stamina than the latter yet retaining enough musical richness as to become a great album in itself.

I also found the namesake opener one of the catchiest prog tunes in the last 3-4 years, and also in the very IQ catalogue. A lot of material was already written with Ordord still in the band (inc. two of the longest tracks), so if anyone found this album disappointing, the absence of Orford shouldn't be regarded as the main reason.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Kind regards.  
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 05:21
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Actually, it sounded to me like a hybrid of Ever, Seventh House and Dark Matter, with a bit less stamina than the latter yet retaining enough musical richness as to become a great album in itself.

I also found the namesake opener one of the catchiest prog tunes in the last 3-4 years, and also in the very IQ catalogue. A lot of material was already written with Ordord still in the band (inc. two of the longest tracks), so if anyone found this album disappointing, the absence of Orford shouldn't be regarded as the main reason.

Kind regards.  

When i first heard Frequency I thought it an excellent album. Now 9 months later I think it may just be their best album ever! No weak tracks and some killer melodies and powerful moments as well as plenty of that IQ melancholy.
Mouse444 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 02:45
Interesting that this turned into an IQ debate....Personally I'm shocked that Alan has been fired. These guys have been at it a long time and I don't care what anyone says, there will be a lot of history between them good and bad. A band is like a family when it's been together so long but the problem is that we don't know what has gone on in the last 25 years. 5 years and barely speaking to each other on tour does not sound like it has all been plain sailing. The tyranny of distance is always going to be a problem but this would not have been an instant decision to fire their frontman. It must be hard to rehearse without the singer and focal point of the band and I guess if there's distance between them on tour there couldn't have been much friendship left to salvage. But what caused the rift...Graham says that Alan did not travel with the band, a bit weird until you learn it was only for 2 days and they both live at different ends of the isle. Alan was committed to next year with the band and it has come as a shock. Have they not been communicating. Alan was not committed yet did most of the web diaries and communicating with the public as far as I could see. The band fired Lawson as sharply as Alan was. Could be they found a better singer. I never thought Alan was brilliant, good but not brilliant. Hope he goes on to do other stuff which interestingly enough he states "it's likely to sound very different". I wonder how different. Was this the problem? Could be they were simply drifting apart. Marillion/Fish anyone (that should set someone off). Surprised it's a shock to Alan though, this would suggest that the rest of the band have not communicated their feelings to him as he had no idea this was coming. Skulduggery afoot....who knows. Do they already have a replacement? it certainly sounds like it, although I can understand why from a rehearsal point of view and Alan would be naive if he thought that wasen't a problem. Anyway hope they get over and on with it.     And just for the record I think IQ's "The Seventh House" is one of the best albums ever. Not just IQ's but in fact the best album. Pity Orfords gone all sour grapes. That should get some feedback....meow pfisst pfisst
Mouser
piltdown man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 04:14
Originally posted by Mouse444 Mouse444 wrote:

Could be they were simply drifting apart. Marillion/Fish anyone (that should set someone off).

Fish`s left Marillion!??? Why? When?Wink
plinius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 09:20
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

[QUOTE=stonebeard][QUOTE=aprusso]Frequency disappoints? It's a masterpiece! (and I am an IQ fan since 1983)

Kind regards.  

I agree with caesar inca, Even though IQ is not my favorite band, at least at the moment, I consider their last effort as a very good album. Besides, I really don't feel the lack of Martin Orford. The musical structure of the songs is not so different from the past.
It sounds like most ideas come from the period Orford was still in the band.

Mouse444 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 13:59
Yea...didn't you know. He was reported to be constantly pissed, falling all over the place and pissed on top of being pissed. Good God....They hired a Scotsman.....What did they expect. He was just having a wee bit o' fun. Poomph before you know it....the road to oblivion. And then they brought in awwww ol' whatsisname.
Mouser
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 19:32
Been waiting 5 long years for a new one from these guys and they go and can the singer.  Dreams of men is fantastic.  The new guy better be good.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
 Post Reply Post Reply