Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease Self-Release Me, Let Me Go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 19:03
I think what we're disagreeing on is what exactly "properly" constitutes.

Quick question:

Would you have a problem with a person who just wanted to release music professionally?  I mean record and mix things himself and sell them as individual mp3s, but have no packaging, no artwork, no liner notes, no bells and whistles, and other than a website, no other means of promotion?  Could such an act be taken seriously?  Why or why not?

And who is this JLocke fellow?  Shocked
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 19:31
Sorry, Dean. Unhappy I guess I sometimes take arguments like yours a little too closely to heart, mainly because I am one of these self-made musicians you speak of (or am trying to be, at least, and not without the help of other talents). So sometimes, justly or unjustly, I take personal offense when somebody speaks of independent artists as less-than their contracted peers.

However, you have clarified some key points, and seem to be more on my side than i initially thought, so please forgive me for my initial reaction. I still hope that at some point in the future, you will be willing to scathe my own music production via a brutally honest review. Tongue 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 19:38
JL, I don't think anyone here is against independent musicians at all, certainly I'm not.  I spend a GREAT DEAL of my free time helping these people get noticed, reviewed, and heard by an audience.  I certainly do not believe they are any "less than their contracted peers" in any personal way.  But it is fair to judge the final product on its merits or lack of them, just as we would a contracted artist.  

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 19:45
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

JL, I don't think anyone here is against independent musicians at all, certainly I'm not.  I spend a GREAT DEAL of my free time helping these people get noticed, reviewed, and heard by an audience.  I certainly do not believe they are any "less than their contracted peers" in any personal way.  But it is fair to judge the final product on its merits or lack of them, just as we would a contracted artist.  

Indeed, but we must also take into account what hinderances almost always become a part of the independent musician's journey right from the start, and give them their due despite them. So while I think it is of course fair to judge an album on its own merits despite status, other elements should additionally be considered that perhaps the independent artist cannot help. I'm not suggesting to give such a person a 'free pass', as it were, but certainly nothing could be wrong with looking at this situation through slightly more forgiving eyes depending upon the situation behind the recording.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much or being unfair, even.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 19:48

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I think what we're disagreeing on is what exactly "properly" constitutes.

Then we also disagree on what "professionally" means too Wink

Quick question:

Would you have a problem with a person who just wanted to release music professionally?  I mean record and mix things himself and sell them as individual mp3s, but have no packaging, no artwork, no liner notes, no bells and whistles, and other than a website, no other means of promotion?  Could such an act be taken seriously?  Why or why not?

My quick question would be "Why?"

What is this artist trying to achieve in doing this? They obviously aren't trying to reach any potential listeners, make money or even cover/recover costs. They are not making any effort to sell anything so why even bother trying to sell it at all? Why not burn it to CDR, delete the master, put the CDR in a box, seal it in Duck Tape and put it in the back of the wardrobe? Because that is exactly the same as putting it on a nondescript webpage on some random website somewhere in the WWW without any bells and whistles to announce its presence. Unless people know where to find it, what it is and why they should bother looking for it then they aren't going to try. Regardless of how wonderful the music is, people need a reason to want to hear it, with thousands of releases each week idle curiosity is not enough.

If that artist is assuming that their music stands of falls on its own merits, that the music speaks for itself and hasn't the need for fancy packaging and promotion, then they need to prove that. Sitting waiting for the world to flock to their door is going going to do the trick.

Could such an act be take seriously? *shrug* Who knows? As you can deduce from the hundreds of words I've drivelled into this thread, I probably wouldn't without some pretty good reason to want to.

Now, as an dadaist example of anti-packaging I can see some mileage in this if they then contrived to make a big issue out of it and use that as subvert-overt-obvert-covert marketing ploy, but frankly that idea has been done to death several times over (and I didn't believe it then either).

And who is this JLocke fellow? 
Search me Confused

Edited by Dean - February 01 2010 at 19:48
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 19:56
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Indeed, but we must also take into account what hinderances almost always become a part of the independent musician's journey right from the start, and give them their due despite them. So while I think it is of course fair to judge an album on its own merits despite status, other elements should additionally be considered that perhaps the independent artist cannot help. I'm not suggesting to give such a person a 'free pass', as it were, but certainly nothing could be wrong with looking at this situation through slightly more forgiving eyes depending upon the situation behind the recording.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much or being unfair, even.

Forgiving eyes eh?  Yes and No, for me, as a listener and reviewer.  A good reviewer will point out both, not one or the other.  The music and the quality are two separate issues.  I can certainly enjoy music that is "homemade" in the sound quality department, and I often do, and I will say so.  But as a reviewer I also have to point out if the sound is cheesy, because this matters to many listeners, and if they are going to buy something, they deserve to have someone tell them. 

There are so many variables in quality, in sound and songwriting.  I think most people are willing to accept some flaws if they genuinely like the music.  I certainly am as a listener, but as a reviewer i have a duty to readers to point out all the particulars. 

Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 20:29
I think as an self-releasing artist, that one can get lots of help from the web on self releasing a record.
All from artwork to musical production, you might even be lucky enough to find someone who does the layout, mixing job for you and by this making it more professional.
There are tons of good offers on the web to make ones music available and if you do a lot of work and a lot of giggin you will get sucsess (if the talent is there in the first place).

But allmost all new bands that self release will face the brand amateur on one more aspects of theire record as in most cases the pro's usually know what theire doing.

But as I said if the artist use forums and trade knowlegde with other artist, enthusiasts I think they can get far on theire own productions.

just my 2 cents
http://daccord-music.com/home.cfm
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 20:36
in essence, the crap to so-so to mediocre to good to great to genius ratios are still the same. The problem is that there is just much much more in each category.
Strangely, for me anyway, is the way that I now believe that many local scenes, even in the smaller places, they often have bands in any number of genres that are as good as anything outside the top ranks.
I.E. why buy Hedley when i can buy Fear of Lipstick ?
And while this is not related to prog, I picked up the latest Megadeth album - Endgame, and Iron Giant's (from here in Moncton) debut - No Longer Sleeping .
I like the Iron Giant album better. And the few albums I have from Les Paiens are the only jazz or jazz rock albums that I listen to outside the big names like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck etc ...
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 20:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Quick question:

My quick question would be "Why?"

What is this artist trying to achieve in doing this? They obviously aren't trying to reach any potential listeners, make money or even cover/recover costs. They are not making any effort to sell anything so why even bother trying to sell it at all? Why not burn it to CDR, delete the master, put the CDR in a box, seal it in Duck Tape and put it in the back of the wardrobe? Because that is exactly the same as putting it on a nondescript webpage on some random website somewhere in the WWW without any bells and whistles to announce its presence. Unless people know where to find it, what it is and why they should bother looking for it then they aren't going to try. Regardless of how wonderful the music is, people need a reason to want to hear it, with thousands of releases each week idle curiosity is not enough.

If that artist is assuming that their music stands of falls on its own merits, that the music speaks for itself and hasn't the need for fancy packaging and promotion, then they need to prove that. Sitting waiting for the world to flock to their door is going going to do the trick.

Could such an act be take seriously? *shrug* Who knows? As you can deduce from the hundreds of words I've drivelled into this thread, I probably wouldn't without some pretty good reason to want to.

Now, as an dadaist example of anti-packaging I can see some mileage in this if they then contrived to make a big issue out of it and use that as subvert-overt-obvert-covert marketing ploy, but frankly that idea has been done to death several times over (and I didn't believe it then either).

Why should an artist feel obligated to share his work with the world?

Perhaps he's content simply knowing he's created, and is content that only some people would witness his creation.  Not everyone is interested in all the exposure.  Perhaps he fancies his work a humble treasure that only a few find and even fewer delight in.

And perhaps the ten dollars he earns from some mp3 sales goes toward a small and simple- perhaps even potable- reward.
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 02:33

>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 07:03
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 03:05

Why should an artist feel obligated to share his work with the world?

Perhaps he's content simply knowing he's created, and is content that only some people would witness his creation.  Not everyone is interested in all the exposure.  Perhaps he fancies his work a humble treasure that only a few find and even fewer delight in.

And perhaps the ten dollars he earns from some mp3 sales goes toward a small and simple- perhaps even potable- reward.

Then such an artist has no cause to be concerned about whatever I think, or by anything I've said thus far since evidently the subject of this thread does not apply to them.

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 03:18
Originally posted by stefolof stefolof wrote:

I've been following this thread for a while and what is missing from the discussion is the issue of MONEY.

I totally agree about the "ocean of junk" but what exactly is creating this ocean? Some argue that it's because of technological advances. That's less than half the truth. The REAL driving force behind the phenomena is the same as behind other crappy products: IKEA furniture, break-down mobile phones, fast food, reality shows, Protools and the current (sick) "15-minutes of fame" culture. In short, it's because MONEY is dictating the rules. Remove money as an incentive and you'll remove the ocean.
I admit I've been trying to sidestep the issue of "Money" as that would exclude the (legal) free-downloads offered by aspiring and established artists from the argument when I believe they are becoming a significant part of the ocean. Of course it could be argued that they are still motivated by reward (rather than just money alone) as their 15-minutes of fame is a reward for their talent.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 03:20
Originally posted by Nakatira Nakatira wrote:

I think as an self-releasing artist, that one can get lots of help from the web on self releasing a record.
All from artwork to musical production, you might even be lucky enough to find someone who does the layout, mixing job for you and by this making it more professional.
There are tons of good offers on the web to make ones music available and if you do a lot of work and a lot of giggin you will get sucsess (if the talent is there in the first place).

But allmost all new bands that self release will face the brand amateur on one more aspects of theire record as in most cases the pro's usually know what theire doing.

But as I said if the artist use forums and trade knowlegde with other artist, enthusiasts I think they can get far on theire own productions.

just my 2 cents
Clap 
What?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 03:32
Also we are in a new era, where dimensionally we need to find that " special" artist. And it need not be a commercial message but just a cacophany of sounds that connects that innerself with it.

Nursery Cryme was mentioned and this like Tubular Bells can be deeply flawed but therin lies the perfection, by design or otherwise.

Nowadays instead of releasing material to many, you can have an audience of one, yet the same situation applies. Which makes it a 1000 times harder to reach that 1000 x 1. Hope the math explains it. Don't give up because the themes you create help forge the music of angels.

Edited by Chris S - February 02 2010 at 03:35
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 04:09
The biggest problem with music is that you cannot tell what it is that people like, and you cannot tell what is going to be fashionable until after the event. It's a very fluid thing.

Most people don't want really talented musicians, fantastic songwriting or even amazing production.

They want something that they like listening to at this point in time.

The Internet has given everyone a huge amount of choice, and crowds always attract bigger crowds until it's apparent that there's nothing left to see, we all get bored and go home.

It's only "connoisseurs" who trawl endlessly, looking for something of that almost undefinable quality that will take the next pride of place in their collection - and write the books and articles that spread the word more slowly about the "truly great" music.

In other words, it simply takes longer for the better music to bubble up.

Cream rises to the top.

Unfortunately, scum gets there quicker.

Just random thoughts really...
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 04:15
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 07:03
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 04:43
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

in essence, the crap to so-so to mediocre to good to great to genius ratios are still the same. The problem is that there is just much much more in each category.
Strangely, for me anyway, is the way that I now believe that many local scenes, even in the smaller places, they often have bands in any number of genres that are as good as anything outside the top ranks.
I.E. why buy Hedley when i can buy Fear of Lipstick ?
And while this is not related to prog, I picked up the latest Megadeth album - Endgame, and Iron Giant's (from here in Moncton) debut - No Longer Sleeping .
I like the Iron Giant album better. And the few albums I have from Les Paiens are the only jazz or jazz rock albums that I listen to outside the big names like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck etc ...
An interesting development Claude, (eventhough you have mentioned this before I hadn't made the connection with what I am saying here until now), what you are suggesting is that the broadening, far reaching Internet has (for you at least) shrunken the discovery of music to a narrow local microcosm rather than opened it up to the whole world. (and that narrow microcosm does not necessarily mean geographic). This echoes what Rishloo said on their MySpace blog about self-release limiting "the scope of our reach"  - you can only sell an album to someone once and you can play live to the same audience a number of times (and sell them t-shirts and other mercandise along with the admission ticket), but you cannot play live to all the people who buy your albums or reach new audiences who would buy the album if they heard you play live.
What?
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 06:12
Btw one more cent; due to the fact that people are doing more "DIY" albums, many of the pro's have slashed theire prices.
Its no secrect that due to the "pirated" software many new "Sound engineers" have appeared.
And while the old school producers learnt how to use every single tool they had available, these new "engineers" just start using the presets on these 1000$ software apps.

So this makes a lot of the pro's more accsesable due to the fact when everyone think they can do it themselves theire market is very small and to get the customers intrest they need to do budget deals.

Same go's for a cd printing and publishing, you can get a a glassmaster cd produced for as low as 1.70$ today, sure its not the same company that prints the big artists but it is sufficiant for new artist and getting a glassmaster cd for that price was not an option a 5 years ago.

As for distrubution there are tons of big marketplaces such as Itunes and cd Baby, if used right one can get pretty good result.

Last is sending cd's around (advertising, reviews, ect) this will also spread the word.+++ having a proper website that is updated often, myspace and ect is good and should be used, but a .com may seem more pro.

So as the self releases sure will continue to increase, the quality will improve as more learn the trade and swap ideas.

And I heard in an interview with this big record company guru that has run many indie labels, that the artists of today need to poscess many qualities, not only make good music (to sell records), and the artists that do this work well will most likely get picked up.

Allthough I have friends (black Metal scene) who just threw a few songs up on myspace and not much later they got offers of a record deal,

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 08:15
I tried to read through the gist of this, I think Dean is on a very good and thoughtful track here. If you have been on this forum for a while you'll know that we don't always agree and we can gladly fill 15 pages almost instantly arguing about trivial nonsense, ha ha, but I think Dean's put a lot of thought into this and is being very thorough here.

I'm a pro musician from way back and have seen major changes in the 'industry' since I started, some bad, some good.

I really think it boils down to doing what I try to do, POLICE YOURSELF. I have been self-producing my own music since the early 90s. I stopped a couple years ago because, due to financial problems, I could no longer afford the latest technology.

Although I'll gladly throw my music up on myspace and use it as demos to get gigs or attract other musicians, I never felt like my music should be presented as the same as those who I really admire. It's not because of any lack in playing technique or skills, or lack of musical vision, or even production values, although at this point a lot of my work lacks that modern state of the art sound.

There is something I admire about those artists who are not constantly shouting, 'look at me'. Self promotion takes on an ugliness after a while that I can not be a part of. In the punk rock days it was flyers that would cover a whole neighborhood, with DJs it was literally mountains of self-produced mix tapes, and now it's everybody and their sister with a band on myspace.

I know a band here in Memphis that has this elaborate web page, but the guitarist really can't play, it's sad really.

My advice, don't be the guy at the party who has to tell all the jokes and not give anyone else a chance. Give a hard look at your music, compare it to people you really like, play them back to back.

Do you really need to push your music on the world and say look at me, when really what you have done is made a nice demo for you and loved ones to enjoy and possibly score some gigs at the local dive.

Edited by Easy Money - February 02 2010 at 08:18
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 08:46
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I tried to read through the gist of this, I think Dean is on a very good and thoughtful track here. If you have been on this forum for a while you'll know that we don't always agree and we can gladly fill 15 pages almost instantly arguing about trivial nonsense, ha ha, but I think Dean's put a lot of thought into this and is being very thorough here.

I'm a pro musician from way back and have seen major changes in the 'industry' since I started, some bad, some good.

I really think it boils down to doing what I try to do, POLICE YOURSELF. I have been self-producing my own music since the early 90s. I stopped a couple years ago because, due to financial problems, I could no longer afford the latest technology.

Although I'll gladly throw my music up on myspace and use it as demos to get gigs or attract other musicians, I never felt like my music should be presented as the same as those who I really admire. It's not because of any lack in playing technique or skills, or lack of musical vision, or even production values, although at this point a lot of my work lacks that modern state of the art sound.

There is something I admire about those artists who are not constantly shouting, 'look at me'. Self promotion takes on an ugliness after a while that I can not be a part of. In the punk rock days it was flyers that would cover a whole neighborhood, with DJs it was literally mountains of self-produced mix tapes, and now it's everybody and their sister with a band on myspace.

I know a band here in Memphis that has this elaborate web page, but the guitarist really can't play, it's sad really.

My advice, don't be the guy at the party who has to tell all the jokes and not give anyone else a chance. Give a hard look at your music, compare it to people you really like, play them back to back.

Do you really need to push your music on the world and say look at me, when really what you have done is made a nice demo for you and loved ones to enjoy and possibly score some gigs at the local dive.

Allthough I agree full heartedly with you.

I can say from my experience from Musical instruments sales and as a Sound man at small local events.
That a huge percentage of the people I encounter dont do that (Police themselves) there are so many who finaly got to record a track and want to show it to the whole world.
I dont know how many who have come in to my store grabbed a guitar and gone; Listen I'm gonna play you a song that I wrote.
And with no embarrasment started singing theire heart out, and yes 98% of the time it sounds crap.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>