Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease Self-Release Me, Let Me Go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 09:29
Love the OP Dean ... haven't had a chance to read through the whole topic myself yet but I agree with you fully ont he difficulty of maintaining quality and getting your name known without the experts in those fields.

I'm starting to think that the system is still going to demand such things, but (for example) instead of record labels owning artists, artists will hire the record experts as consultants to help them master their craft.
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:02
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 07:02
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:44
Originally posted by stefolof stefolof wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I really think it boils down to doing what I try to do, POLICE YOURSELF.
While I personally agree with you, I think the whole music/entertainment/show business currently screams otherwise. Aspiring artists today are indirectly told they're nothing if they're not heard or seen. So, policing themselves will not seem the most obvious option  ...

Consider it a desperate cry in the wilderness of 'achievement', ha ha.

And yes, I used to shop my music furiously to electronica/acid jazz labels and had several very close calls with some very big labels, but I always tried to avoid the more 'let it all hang out' and 'go every where and shout your name', type of self-promoting I see these days.

Here is a litmus test for any home recording guy. Take your demo to any club in your area, if a really large club expresses interest in giving you a high profile and paying gig, or at least a shot at earning your way to one, then you might have something worth promoting.

There is an insightful and funny movie about self-promotion in the world of NYC punk called Smithereens, check it out.

Edited by Easy Money - February 02 2010 at 10:47
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:51
I think the situation is fine and the new developments are for the better. A lot of self-released music is flooding the internet but there are also filters: recommendation sites, forums, blogs, archive sites, etc. If you're part of a community of any kind, it is going to filter the information that reaches you. Myself I am satisfied if one of three or four self-released albums I listen to are what I'd call a "discovery". For the moment I am quite happy, the ratio is satisfactory. The filtering works. For example, 7 of my top 40 albums of 2009 (see the list here: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/alexandru_mircea/2009_albums)are self-released albums, the numbers:

5 - I don't know about the production, only that it was financially supported by fans; there was no physical release, only a free download; there was no marketing; this is the typical case when self-releasing is the end of a process not the beginning (as Dean nicely put it). Note that this album occupies the second place in the PA 2009 top. The band is a high profile band in our niche.

11 - a well established band in its local scene, producing the music without a musical producer, and releasing it through their own "label", which meant that the artwork was designed by a friend, the production costs of the music, of the physical package and of the video were covered by the band's own funds. (All those services were provided by professionals). There is no marketing, just internet buzz. Again this is the case of the self-release strategy as an end of the road. The buying cost of the CD is cheap, probably the equivalent of maximum 10 dollars.

17 - a new band's debut album. The band members have been working for this album for many years, and they were very professional about it; the songs and playing are top notch, the production is wonderful, the package was designed by a friend which is a professional in this field. There is also a free download version. There is no marketing. I couldn't say this release belongs to any of the types - the self-released album as an end or as a beginning of the road to self-management.

18 & 38 - two very young bands which are produced and released by a 21 year old producer. He plays with both bands, produces and mixes the music, releases the music as free downloads on his "internet label" and also obtains funds to release a few hundreds of CDs with a minimal package but with stunning artwork. The CDs (I have both) look better then many "proper" CDs I have. Needless to say there is no marketing other than online "mouth-to-mouth". This double case is that of the self-release as a beginning of the career. I think it worked.

19 - I don't know anything about this band, yet, someone I trust recommended them to me, and since then I've submitted them for PA, they were accepted and many people here like them more or less. I don't know if there was a CD, I only have a free download. There is probably no marketing. I'd say this is also a success of the "self-release as a beginning".

33 - a band known in the local scene but which didn't make it "big" because the scene is too small for it to generate a real market. The album was self-produced/mastered/mixed (one of the members is a sound designer too), and the release was done as a free download. This probably happened because there is no interest from sponsors and there was no reason for the band itself to invest as they're not going to give concerts (the singer is giving birth in a few months so they'll take a sabbatical period). There is probably no marketing. This is more like the "self-release as an end" strategy.

Myself I am happy with the results and I will definitely go see these bands playing when I have the occasion, or buy stuff they release. The question is - how good was this strategy for them? How many of them will be successfully active in a few years' time?

(By success I am referring to what they would call success - maybe some of these bands only want to have fun in their spare time and not to make a career. One of them doesn't even exist any more, the album was "post-mortem" LOL)

Edited by harmonium.ro - February 02 2010 at 11:06
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 14:12
Sorry but this is a bit nonsensical in my opinion. I would've thought that the very definition of a talented musician is one who is able to produce a high quality product without calling in the label support team. It's true that much self-published stuff is rubbish but when wasn't that true of major label releases too? Yes, a support team can polish a turd but they can also wreck or even shelve a great album. I refer you to one of the all-time great hip-hop albums, The Best Part by J Live which is a stone cold classic of mature, musical, intelligent rap which literally sat in the vault for years because Raw Shack Records felt it didn't have any singles. I would rather have an environment where people can freely publish rubbish rather than one where releases need approval from "them"- word of mouth on the internet is a fairly accurate and reliable barometer of making sure that the diamonds in the rough will be identified and found by those who care.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 14:28
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Sorry but this is a bit nonsensical in my opinion. I would've thought that the very definition of a talented musician is one who is able to produce a high quality product without calling in the label support team. It's true that much self-published stuff is rubbish but when wasn't that true of major label releases too?

No, they are highly developed and polished product made by the best paid professionals in the business. They are created and produced to sell in huge numbers, which they do. You're confusing your tastes with that of the target customers of these enterprises.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 14:38
Well the argument still comes off as silly because I think most of that stuff, whether or not it sells, is bad art and am not interested in maintaining an atmosphere where it thrives. I also find it odd that you would use the fact that these guys are paid well as some sort of indication of their authority in music.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 15:11

Well the argument still comes off as silly because I think most of that stuff, whether or not it sells, is bad art and am not interested in maintaining an atmosphere where it thrives.

Why is it bad art? Because you don't like it? That argument is just as silly. I agree there is high culture and popular culture, but saying popular culture is bad is just elitist and not true. If you visit museums you notice that they exhibit, along the masterpieces of the era, modest artifacts of the popular culture, with their own kind of artistic qualities. They never imply that the later are bad.

I also find it odd that you would use the fact that these guys are paid well as some sort of indication of their authority in music.

Nah, you're just interpreting my ideas to sound "bad" LOL The point is that if you own a business of any kind, and especially a very competitive one, you're going to hire the best workers by paying them the best salaries, no matter complex and refined or basic is your product. That's logical.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 16:04

I personally believe there is absolutely no essential causal relationship between success and talent so being well paid doesn't mean you're the best at all.

And yes, as far as my own experience of the world is concerned, art is bad because I don't like it. I'm speaking for myself, not the universe.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 16:15

I personally believe there is absolutely no essential causal relationship between success and talent

That has nothing to do with our little debate.

so being well paid doesn't mean you're the best at all.

I agree, and I didn't say that.

And yes, as far as my own experience of the world is concerned, art is bad because I don't like it.

I sympathize with this statement LOL

Edited by harmonium.ro - February 02 2010 at 16:32
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 16:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Þ

WAT
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 17:02

Sorry but this is a bit nonsensical in my opinion. I would've thought that the very definition of a talented musician is one who is able to produce a high quality product without calling in the label support team. It's true that much self-published stuff is rubbish but when wasn't that true of major label releases too? Yes, a support team can polish a turd but they can also wreck or even shelve a great album. I refer you to one of the all-time great hip-hop albums, The Best Part by J Live which is a stone cold classic of mature, musical, intelligent rap which literally sat in the vault for years because Raw Shack Records felt it didn't have any singles. I would rather have an environment where people can freely publish rubbish rather than one where releases need approval from "them"- word of mouth on the internet is a fairly accurate and reliable barometer of making sure that the diamonds in the rough will be identified and found by those who care.

I really wanted to avoid getting involved in this thread, but I'll just say I agree with this and the viewpoint shared by Robert and Micah.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 18:43
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Þ

WAT
I really hate it when people quote me out of context  :-Þ

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 19:17

No need to apologise.

However, the point you are making is exactly the point I am making - a talented musician can produce a high quality product without calling in the label support team. He does this by doing all those tiny little mundane but very critical jobs that those people at the label would have done for him if he had been signed. Unfortunately many self-released artists are not and many of them may be super-duper musicians/songwriters/singers but it does not follow that they are naturally good at all the other skills needed.
What?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 19:26
I guess the point here is that there may be people who would make incredible albums if they weren't self-released, those who do need the paint job a good label can provide, and that in this environment they may never receive it and be all they can be. But people are always going to slip through the cracks- bringing back the labels will mean we'll miss out on people who would make great albums if only they didn't have to deal with label politics.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 19:59

I guess the point here is that there may be people who would make incredible albums if they weren't self-released, those who do need the paint job a good label can provide, and that in this environment they may never receive it and be all they can be. But people are always going to slip through the cracks- bringing back the labels will mean we'll miss out on people who would make great albums if only they didn't have to deal with label politics.
You've missed the whole point of this thread by quite a wide margin. It's not about bring back the labels, although they've not actually gone anywhere just yet, (and since this is Prog Rock "the man" forgot about us years ago anyway), nor is it about allowing semi-talented people the chance to make incredible albums - this is Prog Rock - you cannot bluff it. This is about the desire to maintain a level of quality in what we listen to regardless of where it comes from, who made it or how it was released. I don't believe I am expecting too much, or asking for the moon on a stick, or demanding that the self-released artist do anything extra special or anything that is beyond their reach. I know self-released artists haven't a bottomless pit of money to draw on, but as Nakatira said on the previous page, producing an album doesn't cost the earth anymore - all it takes is something the self-released artist has plenty of ... time. Time to put just a little more care, thought and work into what they are presenting to the world as the sum total of their talents. Because whether they like it or not, that is all there is to judge them on.

Edited by Dean - February 02 2010 at 20:14
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 20:03
From what I have seen through a couple decades of experience in the world of making music is that it boils down to this:

If your music is really good then people will flock to it, promotion will be easy. In the late 80s I worked with a band that was so powerful and creative that the good vibes from this band just oozed from the demo. The calls from clubs insisting that this band play on high profile nights were endless, Even up to over a year after the band broke up.

If your music isn't all that good you will find yourself having to promote yourself endlessly, jumping up and down and saying 'listen to me, listen to me', while those around you would probably rather talk about something else. It's not a lifestyle of much dignity.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 20:18
Dean: So you're asking people to make better albums?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 21:26
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

From what I have seen through a couple decades of experience in the world of making music is that it boils down to this:

If your music is really good then people will flock to it, promotion will be easy. In the late 80s I worked with a band that was so powerful and creative that the good vibes from this band just oozed from the demo. The calls from clubs insisting that this band play on high profile nights were endless, Even up to over a year after the band broke up.

If your music isn't all that good you will find yourself having to promote yourself endlessly, jumping up and down and saying 'listen to me, listen to me', while those around you would probably rather talk about something else. It's not a lifestyle of much dignity.

I've got to disagree.

People are morons.  They flock to lots of things that are terrible.  The music industry kind of depends on this.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 21:55
OK, let me re-phrase that. If your demo is no good it will not get you any gigs or much attention no matter how much you try to shove it in people's faces.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>