Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's New CD Thread 8 - Shadow Circus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rushfan4's New CD Thread 8 - Shadow Circus
    Posted: February 01 2010 at 11:03
In continuation of my meager attempt to divert some PA forum discussion time away from Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and the other usual suspects, here is my 8th installment of Rushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread.  Recently, there has been an inordinate amount of discussions and polls regarding Dream Theater, so hopefully we are looking of a change.  As promised, this month's album that I think that others would enjoy and like to discuss is Shadow Circus' Whispers and Screams.   Shadow Circus is also PA member JPlanet's band.  For those who might see this thread and are not aware of this, the band has decided to give all proceeds from the sale of the CD through February 14th to causes to aid Haiti's recovery from the earthquake that struck it last month.  If you do not have this album yet, please check out their website for details on purchasing the CD or downloading the MP3s.  http://www.shadowcircusmusic.com/

Here is a link to their PA page. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2878  The entire album can be streamed from this page.

Shadow Circus are a symphonic prog band from the New York City area.  Whispers and Screams is the second release from Shadow Circus. 

On a personal note, growing up I was a Stephen King junkie, having to real all of his books and see all of the movies based on them.  My favorite book from is The Stand.  A book, which is unusual in that I actually read it twice.  I also really enjoyed the 6 hour miniseries that was based on the book.  Whispers and Screams is a treat for me because it begins with the 7-part song Project Blue, which clocks in at over 30 minutes and is based on the book The Stand. 

I know that a number of PA users have already picked up this album, but if you haven't I highly recommend doing so.  Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on this album. Your likes and dislikes regarding the music and the lyrics, etc...  I look forward to what I hope will be an active and lengthy discussion.

In case you missed the first seven installments of the New CD discussion thread please check them out here at thes links:

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat -  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3457937#3457937

I should note that for those who frown about these things, I am not a representative of any of these bands.  I do not get paid to endorse them.  All of these albums are albums that I purchased as downloads.  They are all albums that I have really enjoyed and therefore I am trying to bring them to the attention of PA members so that they may enjoy them to.  Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else will like these albums since it is all a matter of taste, but I have a feeling that there are some of you out there who will. LOL

I should also mention that although I am a Collaborator here at PA, this thread and recommendation is made entirely independently of my duties as a PA collaborator, and is also totally independent of the PA Artist of the Month that is endorsed by M@x, the site's owner. 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 11:06
Also, in case you missed it, here is a link to an interview that E-Dub had with Shadow Circus guitarist John Fontana, aka JPlanet.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61842&FID=47
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 14:34
Thank you for staring this thread, Scott! As I mentioned in the thread about the Haiti charity, I will be happy to be on hand to answer any questions if anyone has any - but I will politely stay back otherwise to allow for an unbiased discussion without concern that I am hanging around! Smile

Of course, that doesn't mean go ahead and throw us under the bus! Wink
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 14:37
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 14:38
Hey Scott!

I've really been loving this album lately - easily in my top 10 albums of 2009. The musicianship is fantastic, the songwriting is mature and developed, and best of all; this album is original. It's rare nowadays to see a young symphonic prog band that's not a clone of Genesis or Yes, and Shadow Circus is definitely an exception.

I still need to get the debut album one of these days. If it's anything like Whispers and Screams, I'm sure I'll love it!

-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 16:33
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

This album completely stinks.  Don't waste your money.
Having an "opposite" day again Rob?  Hopefully nobody stops at this point without reading your review. LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 16:37
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Hey Scott!

I've really been loving this album lately - easily in my top 10 albums of 2009. The musicianship is fantastic, the songwriting is mature and developed, and best of all; this album is original. It's rare nowadays to see a young symphonic prog band that's not a clone of Genesis or Yes, and Shadow Circus is definitely an exception.

I still need to get the debut album one of these days. If it's anything like Whispers and Screams, I'm sure I'll love it!

-Jeff
I'm hoping to give Shadows and Whispers a number of listens this month.  I bought it when John first made them available, but I have been on a huge buying spree lately and I have only given this CD a few spins.  I definitely like what I have heard and hopefully it will grow even more on me with each additional listen.

You should definitely pick up Welcome to the Freakroom when you get a chance.  The album cover never fails to creep me out, but the music inside is excellent.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 16:42
Very good album indeed - a welcome new spin on Symphonic Prog, with enough hard-edged moments to keep this Heavy Prog fan satisfiedWink, and a refreshing avoidance of the clichés all too often associated with the subgenre. And then, even if I am not a Stephen King fan (Micky is much more than I am), I cannot but praise any album based on a book, instead of some outlandish or run-of-the-mill concept.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 17:02
I'll be curious to see Micky's opinion from a Stephen King fan point of view.  You're right about this album being able to keep a Heavy Prog fan satisfied.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 17:05
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

This album completely stinks.  Don't waste your money.
Having an "opposite" day again Rob?  Hopefully nobody stops at this point without reading your review. LOL

Hopefully people are smart enough to...

...aww, sh*t.  I guess I better edit my post.  Disapprove

I guess all I will say that isn't in my review is that I've been listening to this album on http://www.aiiradio.net since it began getting airplay there, and it has done nothing but grow on me like the nasty musical leech that it is.

Folks, this is good stuff. 

If I had a stamp of approval, I would sell it, buy a bigger stamp of approval, and stamp this album twice.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 17:10

Hopefully people are smart enough to...

LOL, you look at warning labels on most products and you can imagine that all those manufacturers must have said that phrase to themselves at some point!

I liked the joke, anyway! Tongue

As you were, pretend like I'm not here!

(Grabs batch of popcorn)...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 17:13
I downloaded Shadow Circus about 2 weeks ago.....not bad. Would not write home about it...I don't hate it. I would probably listen to it more but all these polls on Dream Theater, Yes, Floyd...have my PA time all wrapped up right now.
Wacko
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 22:03

Very nice, I listened to both Shadow Circus albums last week for the very first time, I took a good impresion and liked what I heard, but I must re-listen to them soon.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 22:14
My copy is still in the mail ... I will chime back in once it arrives :)
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 02:56
I've kinda made my opinion fairly well known in other threads but anywayz W & S's was my runner-up album of last year.

Thanks John, it is a masterpiece in my eyes and to my ageing ears.Clap

It's been on rotation ever since I received it.

..and don't take too much notice of Rob, he listens to that heavy metal crap far too much these days! Wink
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 08:34

Listening to Shadows and Whispers in the car now.  One of the negatives of a short commute is that there was only time to make it through the first two tracks.  The booklet doesn't include the lyrics, so that means that it is up to my ears to try and figure out what is being sung.  Captain Trips will take a couple of more listens I think as I could only make out about half of what was being sung.  The Long Road Home on the other hand I could pretty much make out everything and it was an excellent track to listen to.  Definitely brought back memories from reading the book.  Unfortunately, I will be waiting for the commute home to listen to the next two songs. 

Edited by rushfan4 - February 02 2010 at 10:06
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:04
* A quick note for those looking for lyrics: We have a downloadable PDF which prints into a very nice booklet with all the lyrics on the website at http://www.shadowcircusmusic.com/lyrics

Edited by jplanet - February 02 2010 at 10:05
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:08
Thanks John.  I was actually going to check later and see if you did have the lyrics on your website.  That link doesn't seem to be working?

Edited by rushfan4 - February 02 2010 at 10:09
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:24
Oops, sorry about the typo: http://www.shadowcircusmusic.com/lyrics
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:27
If you all don't mind, I am going to try a little something different with this month's thread.  I have created a poll for choosing your favorite Shadow Circus album.  See the attached link.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64792&PID=3536863#3536863
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>