Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 15:33
Why, thank you very much, Mr. Sunderland. Tongue
Bigger on the inside.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 18:43
It's a real pity that for someone as accomplished and talented a football manager as Jose Mourinho, he always behaves like an inebriated sore loser hooligan in defeat.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 19:43
^ I have always loved the guy but his latest psychobabble was ridiculous. If only managers could put that much more energy into help reducing players penalty theatrics rather than bemoaning every penalty decison that goes against them. Liverpool have more penalties this season purely because they are always in their opponents box, not because Suarez is a fine Hollywood actor. Chelsea's have one of the most embarrassing strikers dept. going at the moment, Torres, Ba, Luakaku ( on loan), Schurle and I am sure more....thank god they have had Oscar, Willian and Hazard to help their strikeforce. Almost Liverpool's year!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 19:50
Fantastic result for Sunderland what a week having drawn with City earlier, they may just get out, battle will be to the day
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 20:48
Liverpool edge ever closer to the EPL crown. Their win at Norwich was hard-fought and maybe tinged with just a little bit of good fortune? (Stirling's second goal which turned out to be the winner was a tad fortunate) but championships are won with graft, skill and luck in equal measure.The Gooners continue to hang gamely onto the 4th Champions League slot but Everton have shown that despite the gaffe at home to Palace, they will continue to press them all the way (The Toffees overcame a lumbering and invertebrate Man Utd at Goodison Park, where the home crowd were so intent on making Moyes suffer they forgot to boo their favorite Judas Rooney)

What about miniscule Zwolle stuffing the mighty Ajax 5-1 in the Dutch Cup final??!!! Their first trophy ever in 104 long barren years. This sort of thing restores yer faith in footy i.e. it is still more than capable of producing giddy and swooning romance. As long as FIFA can keep the sugar daddies in check, there is still hope for those who dare to dream.

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 24 2014 at 07:47
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 10:38
Apparently the bookies have suspended betting on Moyes getting the sack. Guess he's done. Have to say I'm a bit surprised despite the horrendous season, I thought he'd at least start next season.
Ian

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 11:48

I guess Moyes is on his way out.  Even though I always enjoy Man U 'in trouble' I am disapointed for Moyles as there are no British managers at the very top level of football so in that sense its a shame.  I guess Liverpool winning the title (maybe) was all too much for the owners. They don't want more competition for the Asian buck and every other buck.  Danger that your average fan from *countries name* would start to think Liverpool  rather than MU is the biggest club in England once again>  BRAND MARKETING ETC
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 07:06
Given that Moyes, the newest multi millionaire in the UK has now been sacked by Man Utd, let us not shed too many tears for an eminently decent but undistinguished man who can cry all the way to the bank. The only plus for Man Utd in this whole affair is that the failure of SAF's nominated heir will lead to a radical rethink at a club that was tottering long before the 'belligerent beetroot' stepped down, That's right, his leverage as the power broking eminence grise has been irretrievably broken. The long term view is that really can't be a bad thing. If Sir Alex's match day timing had been as exemplary as his off field variant the financial surgery that Moyes was bequeathed to perform (assisted by a tyro CEO) on an overripe squad would have been considered by any conventional wisdom, a 3 year project minimum. Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Anderson and Fletcher were long past their shelf life. Nani, Young, Cleverley, Fellaini, Buttner, Hernandez and Carrick are not  good enough to figure amongst Europe's best. Rooney should have been sold for expensive reinforcements long before it was confirmed his attitude sucked hugely (when they had the chance of a really good price from either Chelsea or PSG). Despite what the career stats tell you, Van Persie has never played for Feyenoord, Arsenal or Man Utd, he has only ever played for Robin Van Persie. He's Dutch (is that racist? it's true, so is it still racist to point out the reason the Dutch have won squat on the international stage because they lack a collective team ethic?) Wellbeck wants to leave due to lack of game time (he's scored more goals for England that Man Utd) United will return to the top table of world football, rest assured, but it will take a few seasons of transition, investment and restructure. Like most usurped dynasties, the new manger will have to smoke out the power brokers in the dressing room for a dressing down (No i in team, one u in f*ck off old stager) In the interim, no schadenfreude, but just a hearty welcome to what is for the rest of us, real life.

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 22 2014 at 07:09
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 09:35
yes yes Moyes gone how will be nexts.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 12:49
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

. He's Dutch (is that racist? it's true, so is it still racist to point out the reason the Dutch have won squat on the international stage because they lack a collective team ethic?)

I've always wondered if I was being racist when I thought exactly the same. I played with three Dutch guys for about 10 years. We called them The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. We actually thought the Good one was actually Belgian as he was nothing like the other two. Both were egocentric asshats who could play  a bit but were a disaster to have on your team due to the constant back biting and their way being the only way. One of them got throw off at least 7 teams in the time I knew him and he formed two of those teams!!

I'm hoping that the damage done to Man U is almost terminal and seriously long lasting. I'd love them to get a dose of the humility they been lacking for the last two decades.
Ian

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:17
^ Come on, let's not besmirch Man Utd's success. As hard as this is, coming from a lifelong Leeds fan, it has been thrilling watching Man U's success over the years. I do love following teams that have excellent managers, Martinez, Rodgers, Guardiola and Mourinho.

No amount of money guarantees success viz. Man City. So yes Man U will take a while to get back up to speed. My biggest gripe is how the same players could win the league by so big a margin last season and this year nothing but a bunch of sulking misfits ( Van persie's pathetic injury record aside). They need a manager to come in and give them a serious ass kicking. I have always disliked Liverpool but the way they have played this season and Rodger's almost flawless way of handling the media has been special to witness.

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 02:54
^ Yes it is puzzling, as a team that wins the EPL by 11 points doesn't become a bad team during the close season. Maybe we're asking the wrong question: was the competition much weaker/poorer in 12/13 than it is now?
Liverpool are obviously much stronger, City and Chelsea have splashed the cash and are arguably a bit stronger in certain areas, Everton have improved significantly (they did the best transfer business of the season, no contest), Arsenal have improved a little suck slightly less and Southampton have shown they are ready to challenge the top teams. The rest are pretty much as you were or have regressed (and splashed the cash Spurs) so it's maybe not as clear-cut as we think? I certainly don't besmirch Utd their success but I do empathize with Nogbad's sentiments i.e. welcome to the sort of thwarted and frustrating reality the rest of us have to endure (at least for a while, and yes, it might inculcate a little overdue humility in some quartersWink)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 07:38
Well sodomise me with a fish knife and call me halibut but guess what? despite being found guilty of repeatedly breaching transfer regulations by football's so called governing body, the two window ban on transfers meted out to Barcelona has been expediently suspended pending an appeal. Mes que un club is no more than than an old boys UEFA club i.e carry on as normal and sign intended targets Halilovic and Marc Andre ter Stegen because it's a given your appeal will succeed as the prospect of both players being subsequently frogmarched back to their selling clubs is something so fanciful that not even the habitually chipped off his tits Michel Platini could countenance same. So Rosell's resignation was not even tenuously connected to the flagrant disregard for ethical accountability surrounding the Neymar transfer right? We football fans are a lot of things: passionate, forgiving, loyal and opinionated but we ain't that naive. Bribing referees is no more repellant than bribing parents to sign their son's life away to the highest bidder. Most folks inside the Nou Camp ain't read Faust by Goethe but 99% of them would be able to pick out Mephistopheles in a line up parade. Barca deserve everything they are currently getting and I hope that either Atletico or Real win the league (sorry to the T, just being honest)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 08:27
I understand you honesty and anger good sir.

But anyway, I'm extremely happy for the decision!  Party

Trying to be objective, a sanction is needed but the one that was imposed was a little draconian, too extreme.

Edited by The T - April 23 2014 at 09:33
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 16:21
Great first leg for Real MadridThumbs Up

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 16:43
Atrocious result. 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 17:38
Cfc v real final then
Help me I'm falling!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 19:46
Viva Mourinho in that case.

(And a complete bottle of antiacids for me after the game).
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 03:10
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

No amount of money guarantees success viz. Man City. So yes Man U will take a while to get back up to speed. My biggest gripe is how the same players could win the league by so big a margin last season and this year nothing but a bunch of sulking misfits ( Van persie's pathetic injury record aside). They need a manager to come in and give them a serious ass kicking. I have always disliked Liverpool but the way they have played this season and Rodger's almost flawless way of handling the media has been special to witness.

This has been my thoughts exactly.  I appreciate the squad is a year older, but Moyes had exactly the same squad (plus Fellaini LOL and lately Mata) and yet the drop in points from last season is astounding, totally inexplicable.  The results and performances have been absolutely appalling.  There has clearly been great unrest and some of the stories coming out are hilarious.

That said, as a humble and fair-minded Man Utd supporter (season ticket holder for 30+ years) I have to say I am disgusted about how the sacking happened.  Moyes is a decent man and did not deserve it to come out like that.  These leaks to the media followed by a tweet the following day are representative of how football is these days. 

All in all the decision was the right one though.  Moyes and United was not the right fit and a manager with cojones and ego is required to deal with the issues and problems of a club as big as United.  I don't think he was the right man for the job, but there you go.  I thought that when he was appointed and still think so now.

On another point, the Atletico v Chelsea match was deadful, a total snooze fest.  Both teams apparently more than happy with 0-0, but Chelsea showing their tactical nous, ie: parking all 4 of their team buses.  I suppose the end justifies the means.  It's football Jim, but not as we know it.  Last night's game was a little better, thankfully.  Let's hope the 2nd legs provide a little more in the way of entertainment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 08:11
^ I suspect that the canny Ancelotti has found Bayern out in the same way that some of the better European bosses have now found a way to beat the hitherto 'invincible' Barcelona. As a tactical triumph it was resounding as Real could have been three goals to the good before half time. Sacrificing possession and sitting deep is anathema to a team like Real Madrid but their coach has to be commended on getting some of the most attack minded individuals on the planet to stick to a gameplan for 90 minutes that was completely contrary to their instincts. Watching someone like Modric tracking back, closing down and throwing himself in front of shots was astonishing. I'd like to see an Atletico v Bayern final all the same.

Re the Moyes sacking, there are reports (OK unsubstantiated speculation) that Ferguson will be involved in choosing Moyes successor? Given his track record in this department, is that entirely wise? It's time for SAF to make a clean break from the club as otherwise his continued presence will always undermine any prospective candidate. Shipping out the swollen egos and shrunken talents of Ferdinand and Evra will probably reduce dressing room unrest to a manageable level for the new incumbent. (Although the Rooney/Van Persie pram spat will continue to fester unless action is taken) If you were the Glazers and had previously entrusted footballing decisions to Charlton, Ferguson and Ed Woodward and been rewarded with no Champions League football in 14/15 would you entrust your tropical fish collection to 3 hapless seals?

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 24 2014 at 08:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 81>