Topic ClosedThe Football Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 81>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 14:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Liverpool could go top tomorrow. Who would have bet on that last August?
Not I! Top 4, at best, was my bet before the season.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - March 29 2014 at 14:44
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 20:37
tut tut Chelsea......the question now is who will go down. My guess is in no particular order

Fulham
Norwich
Sunderland ( I like Gus Poyet so I hope I am wrong!)
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 02:21
It's looking more and more likely that Liverpool might just clinch their first league title since the1989/90 season.
Chelsea and Man City both still have to visit Anfield so the Reds are in a very strong position. I for one won't begrudge them this, as the likes of Citeh and Chelski have merely bankrolled their way to recent success without any evidence that either are building any sort of legacy for the future. Circa 20 years from now a small boy will ask his father: Dad, when was the last time an English owned club won the English league?

The last vestiges of football being considered representative of anything other than unlimited spending power are long gone...Cry

As far as relegation goes, there's a load of teams all bunched very closely together but I reckon:

Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich/Hull (delete as applicable)

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 30 2014 at 02:24
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 02:28
Based on current form the relegated should be

Sunderland     33
Cardiff City     31
Fulham          29

The top 3 should be

Manchester City     85
Liverpool     83
Chelsea     82

But it was only last week I had Chelsea pegged for 1 and Man City do have to win 6 games based on everyone's present form consistency.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 08:12
Watched some highlights of Real Madrid's comprehensive win at home to Rayo Vallecano (5 - 0) and although the scoreline maybe flattered Real a tad, I don't understand why the Madristas chose to boo Ronaldo? Yes, they've lost their last two leagues games but that's hardly CR7's fault?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 07:49
I watched (most) of the Man Utd v Bayern Champions League tie and would have to say that:

1 - Bayern should be disappointed not to have won against a very poor United side
2 - Kudos to Moyes for getting his tactics dead right (sit deep and feed Wellbeck when you can)
3 - I can't see much wrong with the disallowed Wellbeck goal?
3 - Martinez should have been sent off for his foul on Hernandez
4 - Rooney should have been booked for simulation re his dive from the tackle by Schweinsteiger
5 - Valencia should have been sent off for his foul on Boateng

United's much maligned central defensive pairing played well (Ferdinand and Vidic) as 'parking the bus' meant there was little space behind into which the Bavarians could sprint. Really strange to see Man Utd at home hanging on for a draw and everyone deeming such to be a praiseworthy result? (Possession stats read 75/25 in Bayern's favour, Oh how the game has changed - for the better, just like in legal precedents, possession is 9/10th of the law)

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 02 2014 at 07:50
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 07:53
Man Utd is gonna be pulverised in Munich
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 07:59
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Man Utd is gonna be pulverised in Munich

If there's a God, then yes what you envisage will eventuate. As an Arsenal fan here's the nightmare agnostic scenario:

Arsenal hang on to 4th place in the EPL thus qualifying for the Champions League next season BUT
Man Utd (who finish outside the top 4 in the EPL) somehow win the Champions League and thus deny the Gooners their place in the competition

Please don't tell me where you live, I may have to torch your homestead (nothing personal)

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 08:11
FC Barcelona has been penalized by FIFA for some stupid recruiting of underage players for its minor divisions with one full year without the possibility of hiring new players. This is a tragedy. I hope this is appealed and solved. Tragedy. Tragedy. CryCry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 08:20
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

FC Barcelona has been penalized by FIFA for some stupid recruiting of underage players for its minor divisions with one full year without the possibility of hiring new players. This is a tragedy. I hope this is appealed and solved. Tragedy. Tragedy. CryCry

If they are guilty as charged how can this flouting the rules be seen as a tragedy?
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 08:33
Plus it's not like they need to hire new players - their academy they've broken so many rules for should be enough to feed the first team. Tongue

Edited by Kotro - April 02 2014 at 08:34
Bigger on the inside.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 08:51
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

If they are guilty as charged how can this flouting the rules be seen as a tragedy?
Sorry I'm a FCB fan and it's a tragedy that these idiots will cause the team not to be able to get the players it so desperately needs both in defense and for the goalie position. Tragedy. 

EDIT: "these idiots" refer to the directive of FC Barcelona, not FIFA (well they are also idiots but maybe not this time). 

Edited by The T - April 02 2014 at 09:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 07:39
^ I thought that's what you meant and yes I agree, it drives me to distraction when a club we like to believe embodies some credible values behaves so poorly.

Just some thoughts on the Champions League games involving English clubs. The Chelsea v PSG tie is a long way from being over. I really believe that PSG wil have to perform at or very near their peak to preserve the 3-1 advantage in the second leg. Paradoxically, the likely absence through injury of Ibrahimovic may actually help their cause (as Cavani on his own up front gives them a better defensive base behind)

Bayern should thump Man Utd in Germany but stranger things have happened. United will not alter their tactics from the first leg i.e. they will continue to sit deep and lure the Bavarians into keeping a very high defensive line to exploit via counter attacking (a.k.a long balls up to Wellbeck whose pace can trouble Boateng/Alaba/Dante depending on the permutation chosen by Guardiola)

Madrid are through already barring a seismic catastrophe in Dortmund while the Barca v Atletico tie is finely balanced ( I wouldn't dare call that one but Atletico strike me as being Spain's equivalent to Dortmund given the unrelenting pressure they exert on the opposition all over the pitch )

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 04 2014 at 07:40
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 08:18
I'm loving all this complaining from Schweinsteiger & Guardiola about Rooney diving to get the red card. Don't they have Robben is their side? If you google "Robben diving" you get 500,000 results
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 08:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm loving all this complaining from Schweinsteiger & Guardiola about Rooney diving to get the red card. Don't they have Robben is their side? If you google "Robben diving" you get 500,000 results

Yes in the last round it was Robben's tumble over that Arsenal player who then got sent off that turned the tide in the first leg of that game, so it's pretty rich Bayern complaining about such gamesmanship.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 08:50
^ yes I agree that Robben will fall over even if someone only breaks wind beside him in the penalty area BUT, Rooney milked the challenge from Schweinsteiger for all it was worth and for me, deliberately got his opponent red carded. Why?, because he's nowhere near world class and possibly the most overrated English player on the planet. If Rooney is the best England have to offer in Brazil 2014 they won't even get past the group stage.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 10:36
The list of overrated English players is extremely long, I'd probably put Rooney behind the likes of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes.

And no we won't get out of the group stage.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 04 2014 at 10:37
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 10:53
With all due to respect to England which has given me football itself, Purcell Elgar, Britten, Vaughan-Williams, Genesis, Phil Collins Tongue, Shakespeare, BBC, etc etc etc etc etc: English football players and the English national team has never been anything to write home about. Since I'm alive at least (and the one WC England has is thanks to a good old CCCP referee), not the Owens, the Rooneys, the Beckhams, have been really best-in-class players. Man United was superb one time as a team; Arsenal had a bunch of French and Dutch; Liverpool had the Beatles Tongue, and well... No offense really. I love England. But it's the epitome of "football-overratedness." I abhor Italian catenaccio and its destruction of all good things but at least they have gotten the job done quite a few times.... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:01
^ agreed, the crux of the problem with English football is the perceptual delusion epitomized by this media exchange:

You're saying he's not world class, a player X who has earned over 100 caps for England?
So, how good does that that make him exactly?, for a nation that has won precisely zero at the highest level  for > 48 years in a league where indigenous players are the minority

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 04 2014 at 11:02
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:06
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ I thought that's what you meant and yes I agree, it drives me to distraction when a club we like to believe embodies some credible values behaves so poorly.The current FCB directive is really trying to destroy all the great reputation that the team has gotten in the last 5 years with the idiotic Neymar transfer and now this FIFA sanction.And these morons didn't sign defenders or goalkeepers last year arguing "puyol will do" when he was already 34 years old and half-broken, and when they knew Valdes was leaving at the end of the year, and when they knew FIFA was studying this underage situation. Now they won't be able to sign and be forced to have as a goalkeeper an old guy with a broken back and a young keeper with zero experience. And the same bad defenders but even worse with Puyol gone. Awesome. 

Just some thoughts on the Champions League games involving English clubs. The Chelsea v PSG tie is a long way from being over. I really believe that PSG wil have to perform at or very near their peak to preserve the 3-1 advantage in the second leg. Paradoxically, the likely absence through injury of Ibrahimovic may actually help their cause (as Cavani on his own up front gives them a better defensive base behind) Mourinho can't turn games around. If he loses big the first one, he's gone. And that I hope. I don't like PSG but everything Mourinho touches I despise, unless he was ever signed by FC Barcelona (an impossibility) in which case I would have to support him while suffering from stomach pains. 

Bayern should thump Man Utd in Germany but stranger things have happened. United will not alter their tactics from the first leg i.e. they will continue to sit deep and lure the Bavarians into keeping a very high defensive line to exploit via counter attacking (a.k.a long balls up to Wellbeck whose pace can trouble Boateng/Alaba/Dante depending on the permutation chosen by Guardiola)I hope FCB2 wins. If FCBarcelona can't, then my second preference is FCBayern Munchen 

Madrid are through already barring a seismic catastrophe in Dortmund sadly agreed while the Barca v Atletico tie is finely balanced ( I wouldn't dare call that one but Atletico strike me as being Spain's equivalent to Dortmund given the unrelenting pressure they exert on the opposition all over the pitch )Not at all. Atletico is not a flashy team. Is a workers' team. Simeone has pulled a miracle. And barca hasn't been able to beat them in a while. I will suffer through that game. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 81>