Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Van der Graaf Generator, French TV '72: "Killer" l
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVan der Graaf Generator, French TV '72: "Killer" l

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van der Graaf Generator, French TV '72: "Killer" l
    Posted: February 05 2010 at 12:45
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Compare with this version from 2005:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdIHa8e2cOM&NR=1
Still very wild.

I love that version as well! Saw them 7 times on that '05 tour (and hung out with them each time).

I love the old '72 film clip. The 24 yr old Hammill peers right into the camera with extreme menace (as you do at that age!) and Banton is just insane(ly brilliant) with his use of the "whammy bar" during his solo (inspired by Hendrix, no doubt). I also like how Jaxon used to roam about the stage back then (something he didn't do in '05; he pretty much had his space, surrounded by his pedals, monitors, etc, and stayed there... but was still pretty darn cool).

There is also a filmed version of Octopus from this Paris '72 show which I hope someone posts. It's even more out-there (and different to the album version) than this version of "Killer" is.
jc
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 11:28
Compare with this version from 2005:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdIHa8e2cOM&NR=1
Still very wild.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 10:03
Thanks! Thumbs Up
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 09:26
Someone finally posted that awesome clip of VdGG playing "Killer" at the Bataclan Theatre in Paris from the TV show Pop Deaux in 1972.

To me, this clip (edited though it is, and mixed in such a way that the organ is too low) shows exactly why VdGG were monsters on stage. Very different to the more controlled album version, this rendition of "Killer" is way more chaotic, and one can see why the punks of a few years later would spare VdGG the vitriol meted out to other prog bands of the era. This performance is just brimming with raw energy. Awesome (too bad the mix isn't better and it's not the whole song, but I ain't complaining).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPGb5iYtyjo
jc
 Post Reply Post Reply