Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Non-listed progressive and prog-related material
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNon-listed progressive and prog-related material

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 15:58
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by psarros psarros wrote:

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Homenaje" by Gustavo Montesano is basically the third Crucis album.
Absolutely agree Clap...that's another criminally overlooked album,which will also be presented and reviewed in this space.

You know, you could think about adding it in the band's discography. There is at least a similar case here on PA: the second album of Russian Symphonic Prog band Little Tragedies was recently reissued as a solo album of their leader, Gennady Ilyin, but here it is listed as an album released by the mother band.
...or Canadians POLLEN with the solo album of Jacques Tom Rivest (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=909) ...I know about this cases...well,I have to think about it...

Review it here or review it after adding it on CRUCIS' page?...We'll see...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 14:16

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Homenaje" by Gustavo Montesano is basically the third Crucis album.
Absolutely agree Clap...that's another criminally overlooked album,which will also be presented and reviewed in this space.

You know, you could think about adding it in the band's discography. There is at least a similar case here on PA: the second album of Russian Symphonic Prog band Little Tragedies was recently reissued as a solo album of their leader, Gennady Ilyin, but here it is listed as an album released by the mother band.
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 13:55

SOLSTICE - Mirage - 1978 (Quebec soft progressive/jazz rock)

Among the well-known bands emerging from the huge progressive movement in Quebec,Canada, there were some ''smaller'' names,which didn't achieved the huge success or big promotion of their native groups.Such kind of a band were SOLSTICE,an intially four-member group found in mid-70's by guitarist Daniel Lafrance,bassist Daniel Mathieu,clarinet player Michel Marineau (ex-member of another obscure group from Quebec,''Nebu'') and drummer Gilles Dozois.For their first album, entitled ''Mirage'' and released back in 1978,the main composer was Daniel Lafrance.So it is reasonable the album to have many guitar excursions and solos around and Lafrance has done it very well on his section...but do not expect an explosive sound or massive interplays.''Mirage'' maintains a generally soft atmosphere throughout met in early WEATHER REPORT or even UK jazz rockers NUCLEUS,but it holds also a great introduction to the use of clarinet by Marineau,as he has a lot of space in the album for improvisational solos and smooth interplays with the rhythm section.It is quite surprising that SOLSTICE do not use any keyboards at all,yet their jazzy proposal has a deep and mature sound.The funky bass lines of Mathieu reminds me these of fellow compatriots UZEB,while drummer Gilles Dozois insists on a consistent yet steady playing without any dynamic changes.The result is a typical example of good-executed jazz rock with no risks but a qualitive performance overall.Recommended and strongly aiming on the jazz/fusion-rock audience.

Edited by psarros - October 28 2010 at 08:41

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2010 at 14:30

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2010 at 17:56

Edited by WalterDigsTunes - February 15 2010 at 17:56
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2010 at 17:43
Offenbach is already being discussed for Prog Related. Hugues Chantraine is working to get them added.
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2010 at 14:28
Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

LE TEMPS-Le temps (1975-Quebec folk/pop/psych progressive/art rock)

Unknown short-lived band emerging from the endless bands' source offered by the progressive scene of Quebec,who released two albums in the 70's.They were formed in 1975 by Pierre Cloutier (guitars, tambourine, vocals), Andy Grober (bass, guitars) and Rene Grimard (guitars, vocals).The same year LE TEMPS release their self-titled debut, helped by current ''Dionysos'' members Fernard Durand and Phillipe Bech on bass and piano respectively,while Pierre Daigneault contributed on flutes.There is also a strong presence of the Ottawa Philarmonic Orchestra,led by David Hildinger.The sound of the band is closer to folk rock,but the presence of various strings makes the album sound like ''orchestrated psych/folk''.Often compared to fellow Quebec bands like LE MATCH and legends HARMONIUM's debut, ''Le temps'' offers a delicate acoustic music with plenty of elegant acoustic guitars and soft vocal lines,sometimes paused by mellow orchestral passages, adding the album a slightly symphonic nature.The use of traditional folk instruments like the tambourine and the warm flutes create pastoral atmospheres,while the album is mainly song-based and easy listening with decent melodies and often a commercial approach.The fine blending of orchestral music with folk rock and pop beats will interest plenty of progressive ears,making LE TEMPS a significant part of the Quebec prog movement, though their debut is somewhat split between typical song-based music and folk rock.A nice discovery.

I say this one should be here.
Great local band Smile

You may be interested in my Québécois' Progressive Music blog.

Yeah...I have already visited your excellent page and even proposed bands like OFFENBACH, NEBU, SOLSTICE or L'ORIEN D'O....bands which will also have their space in my page and actually SOLSTICE will be the next one to be reviewed and proposed for addition!

Edited by psarros - February 16 2010 at 12:56

Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2010 at 14:12

LE TEMPS-Le temps (1975-Quebec folk/pop/psych progressive/art rock)

Unknown short-lived band emerging from the endless bands' source offered by the progressive scene of Quebec,who released two albums in the 70's.They were formed in 1975 by Pierre Cloutier (guitars, tambourine, vocals), Andy Grober (bass, guitars) and Rene Grimard (guitars, vocals).The same year LE TEMPS release their self-titled debut, helped by current ''Dionysos'' members Fernard Durand and Phillipe Bech on bass and piano respectively,while Pierre Daigneault contributed on flutes.There is also a strong presence of the Ottawa Philarmonic Orchestra,led by David Hildinger.The sound of the band is closer to folk rock,but the presence of various strings makes the album sound like ''orchestrated psych/folk''.Often compared to fellow Quebec bands like LE MATCH and legends HARMONIUM's debut, ''Le temps'' offers a delicate acoustic music with plenty of elegant acoustic guitars and soft vocal lines,sometimes paused by mellow orchestral passages, adding the album a slightly symphonic nature.The use of traditional folk instruments like the tambourine and the warm flutes create pastoral atmospheres,while the album is mainly song-based and easy listening with decent melodies and often a commercial approach.The fine blending of orchestral music with folk rock and pop beats will interest plenty of progressive ears,making LE TEMPS a significant part of the Quebec prog movement, though their debut is somewhat split between typical song-based music and folk rock.A nice discovery.

...and a small sample:

I say this one should be here.
Great local band Smile

You may be interested in my Québécois' Progressive Music blog.

Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2010 at 12:06

LE TEMPS-Le temps - 1975 (Quebec folk/pop/psych progressive/art rock)

Edited by psarros - October 28 2010 at 08:41

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2010 at 09:28

GAMMA - Alpha - 1972 (Dutch jazzy/classical progressive/brass rock)

Another little-known band from Holland,who's rare works "Gamma" (1972) and "Darts" (1974) definitely worth a spin.They were formed in 1970 by their leader organist/pianist Paul Poulissen and actually they worked more like a session group than a full-time band,as Poulissen is the only musician presented on both of their albums.Their first release,entitled ''Alpha'',came out in 1973 and GAMMA's music can be defined as a mixed bag of brass rock and soft orchestral prog rock,bringing to mind bands like EKSEPTION (for the dominent horn section) and FOCUS (for the flute-driven classical-inspired passages).The musicianship is very nice,showing a band with talent and potential,but what actually spoils the whole effort are the unbearable vocals of Frans Te Spenke,who sings like if he was a singer coming out of a low-budget musical.Fortunately the album is mostly instrumental,ranging from brass-rock parts with horns and saxes and jazzy inteplays with piano/bass/drums on the front and JAN AKKERMAN-like guitars to classical soft instrumental themes with great flute work and and the awaited early 70's sound of slight psychedelic doses.''Alpha'' won't blow your mind,but it is certainly an decent but lost progressive work of the Dutch scene,which will definitely reward your efforts to purchase it.

Edited by psarros - October 28 2010 at 08:40

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2010 at 09:22

This thread sits best in the general music discussions area, so that the music highlighted can be fully explored. As Raff says, feel free to propose any bands listed here whom you feel should appear on the site.

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2010 at 04:39

Edited by psarros - February 16 2010 at 12:57

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2010 at 02:51

Every band or artist, who will be presented here is,as said, of great prog interest and thus,they should be taken under consideration for addition on progarchives...I have material and additional info for all these albums and I think of presenting every album followed with one short and free sample,if this is not illegal...

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 13:06
Very good idea, but I believe you might also suggest them for addition to the database - especially if you are able to provide material for evaluation. We need to give those bands more exposure. Anyway, here's the link to another review for the band's debut album, from the ProgGnosis website:

http://www.proggnosis.com/PGRelease.asp?RID=7545

From what you both say, it seems they would fully qualify for addition here.
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 12:40
Hi to all!

Well,in this blogspace I will try to introduce most of you to non-listed material here on progarchives,which in my opinion is of significant interest for progressive rock fans.Most of this material is trully rare and has come in my hands through really hard searching  over these years and great friends from all around the world...I own some of this great albums,but I also have some of them only in digital form,but I'm after them by buying all these material through well-known internet stores...

I will open this section with:

FLYING ISLAND - S/T - 1975 (US violin-driven progressive/jazz rock)

Criminally overlooked US band with a very rich and elaborated sound and it's really a question,why this band's works remained and still remain in the shadows for so many years.They released two studio albums to my knowledge,a self-titled in 1975 and the follower ''Another kind of space'' one year later.FLYING ISLAND were led by violinist Fred Fraioli,featuring also well-known keyboardist Jeff Bova and later drummer Bill Bacon would also join the band.FLYING ISLAND were lucky enough to sign a 5-year contract with Vanguard Label and in 1975 they released a self-titled LP.Offering some really adventurous musicianship,the album presents an all instrumental effort of 10 short tracks,based on Fraioli's excellent violin work, which ranges from leading up-tempo parts to weird complicated passages.Bova delivers some trully great keyboard work both on Hammond organ and electric piano,this time starting from a supporting role to end up in obscure soundscapes,doubled by Fraioli's violin.The tight playing of Thom Preli on bass and the confident drumming of Bacon gives the band another extra point.Finally,guitarist Ray Smith prooves to be a hidden ace for FLYING ISLAND's sound with a personal style consisting of good breaks and gear-ups.I honestly tell you,this work should be spread all over the world for the different moods and professional arrangements it offers.Especially fans of MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA,BRAND X or DIXIE DREGS will love it to death.Absolutely essential for your collection!

Edited by psarros - October 28 2010 at 08:40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12