Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobert Fripp Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robert Fripp Question
    Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:14
Hey guys,
For a long time now I've been learning about the crafters of prog; I read the yes book "close to the edge" and Im constantly on the internet. One thing I keep getting is the assertion that Fripp never used drugs in any capacity. Regardless of what personal beliefs are, its important to realize that those who did use responsibly (Just ask Steve Howe, Hackett, Derek Shulman) had distinctive creative edges. Can anyone confirm to me that this is true? That Fripp was completely clean?
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:29
I've heard Fripp and others make the claim definitely.  I don't know what kind of verification you could possibly find unless someone has clean urine samples of Fripp's.....(joking, that still would prove nothing)
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:35
I'm pretty sure it's been more or less confirmed by everybody who knew him. Some people don't need drugs in order to be artistic, after all.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:39
^ Exactly.  Look at Frank Zappa, for instance. 
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:44
Any interviews I've read with Fripp always gave me the impression that he does not do drugs, except maybe caffeine.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:49
I suspect he may have ingested some Lark Tongues in Aspic at one point!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:57
I'm sure his urine would be as sweet and clear as natural spring water (Although he must have dabbled at some point in his past, I mean how do you explain Toyah ?Confused)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:36
Originally posted by slidesandbends slidesandbends wrote:

Hey guys,
For a long time now I've been learning about the crafters of prog; I read the yes book "close to the edge" and Im constantly on the internet. One thing I keep getting is the assertion that Fripp never used drugs in any capacity. Regardless of what personal beliefs are, its important to realize that those who did use responsibly (Just ask Steve Howe, Hackett, Derek Shulman) had distinctive creative edges. Can anyone confirm to me that this is true? That Fripp was completely clean?

I've been acquainted with Fripp since 1982, when he was touring small record stores, Les Paul and REVOX tape player in hand, to demonstrate "Frippertronics."  Later on, I proudly served as bassist to one of his earliest Guitar Craft students, Lon Jones, in the Tulsa, OK band "Cavu."   It's been years since I've caught up with RF, but he made his philosophy known to all back when he spoke out more openly.  Let me provide my thoughts:

Back in the early days, RF did smoke cigarettes, and he has long been a consumer of caffeine as is famously known.  However, he has also had a serious interest in diet and purity of food, so I don't believe he dabbled in the hallucinogenics that others of the era were experimenting with (Chris Squire's consumption of LSD early on for example). 

I gather that RF probably was somewhat revulsed by the things he saw happen on the evolving prog scene in London, and avoided the drugs entirely except for the ciggies.  I believe he also tipped a pint or two, absolutely normal in Britain.  He is now firmly against smoking and pursues a very healthy lifestyle and diet. 

When Fripp first decided to become a professional guitarist, he launched into a very serious study regime of at least 6 hours/day of practice.  Drugs would have been a distraction from his goal.  He has written extensively about the need for discipline related to his Guitar Craft education efforts, worth reading about.  Crafties lead a very austere lifestyle, and drug use is absolutely forbidden. 

Hope this helps, I'm attaching a link to a great interview with Peter Banks that discusses the early era. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:37
Oops, here's the link, sorry!  The server I am using won't let me put the live link up for some reason.

http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:41
He has been known to frequently indulge in aphorisms:
Discipline Knot May we have the clarity to see what is required of us, the courage to accept it, and the capacity to discharge it.
Discipline Knot Necessity is a measure of aim.
Discipline Knot Everything we are is revealed in our playing.
Discipline Knot The presence of absence is an entry into loss.
Discipline Knot We may not have an equality of talent. We may not have an equality of experience.
But we may be equal in aspiration. We can be equal in commit-ment.
Discipline Knot Music is a powerful and direct teacher which speaks to us all, to the degree that we are able to hear.
http://disciplineglobalmobile.com/

LOL
Discipline Knot Understanding is simple. Knowing is complicated.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 18 2010 at 12:53
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I believe he also tipped a pint or two, absolutely normal in Britain. 

Knot - Pint Glass

This high quality 16oz pint glass with the Discipline knot logo will most definitely make you the most envied host in your neighborhood. And it might even make your beer taste better.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 18 2010 at 12:54
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:16

Regardless of what personal beliefs are, its important to realize that those who did use responsibly (Just ask Steve Howe, Hackett, Derek Shulman) had distinctive creative edges.
Howe is the one I know about.  I doubt we can say that Howe always used responsibly, and I'm pretty sure that we can match up the times that he didn't with the low points of his career.  Fortunately he's seemed to keep things together for the past decade or so.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Oops, here's the link, sorry!  The server I am using won't let me put the live link up for some reason.

http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes

Wow what an interview. revealing at times. I like the part about Yes rehearsing like crazy after watching Crimson play! Fripp walking around in a cape like a monk? Nah that's impossible LOL. As for caffine I had a friend who had a girlfriend who had a friend who actually served Fripp breakfast once in a hotel in Montréal and she said that it was like serving a food critic. He requested some exotic coffee that they didn't have.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:44
My understanding about Fripp's abstinence is that of others here, and I also seem to recall Gabriel having similar views. Drug taking was not obligatory!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
slidesandbends View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 14:33
Is it suggested that Howe really did do alot? Ive seen him imply things in interviews but do you think marijuana was a regularity with lsd?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 21:38

Is it suggested that Howe really did do alot? Ive seen him imply things in interviews but do you think marijuana was a regularity with lsd?

I once read that Tales from Topographic Oceans was conceived during a trans-Atlantic flight, when the whole band was high on hash!!  

Who knows?  Drugs were omnipresent in those years, I remember concerts in the early '70's when the smoke was so think you could barely see the stage!  God I miss those days!!   

The only prog guitarist I can think of who openly discussed his use of drugs was John McLaughlin.  Others who were famous users were the rock-gods like Clapton, Lennon, McCartney, etc.  What Howe did or didn't use, I don't know.  

However, Fripp was always VERY serious about his music, and probably never happy about drug use in Crimson.  That may be why the band had such a revolving door!  Don't think I've ever read about that, but it is something to consider. 

Let me try to post the link again (Peter Banks interview about the early Prog years).  That worked!  Cheers!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 21:38
I meant "thick"!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 21:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Discipline Knot

now wait, is that the original Celtic knot or the post-lawsuit redesigned one?

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 22:11
For a few years in Crimson, he seemed interested in the occult. He recorded an album's worth of material with a witch somewhere in England (I suppose). He often played an abundance of tri-tone riffing that in the 18th century was forbidden by the church and many musicians that did play it, were accused of being in league with the Devil. Judy Dyble found him quite frightening to work with. But you know, people change and just for the record, he may very well had an interest in the occult from a historical point of view and not on a personal mission or cause to gain power. Nevertheless when listening to K.C., you couldn't help to think maybe Fripp's occult interest influenced the music. 
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 22:25
I've the impression that Fripp is something of a heavy drinker (to curb his synesthesia attacks).  Alcohol is a bit more harmful to the body than certain 'soft drugs' like marijuana, despite its legal status.

Edited by Man Overboard - February 18 2010 at 22:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>