Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDevin Townsend in YOUR band.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Choose!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [39.39%]
3 [9.09%]
2 [6.06%]
4 [12.12%]
11 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 20:29
Vocals a la Steve Vai.

Oh yeah.........
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 20:52
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I wouldn't want him in my band. His gigantic ego would clash with my ideas... If it's my band it better be MY band, and I doubt one can have a band with Devin wherein he accepts to keep a low profile... 

I wasn't aware he had a big ego. Enlighten me, because people I've spoke to say he comes across as a very humble, down to earth guy and all the interviews I've watched of him seem to indicate that is the case
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 23:16
^I read that when he was doing the Human Equation he agreed to do it but only if he wrote his own parts that he did. But that's ok, cause IMO those are the exciting parts of the Human Equation.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 23:24
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

I wouldn't want him in my band. His gigantic ego would clash with my ideas... If it's my band it better be MY band, and I doubt one can have a band with Devin wherein he accepts to keep a low profile... 
I wasn't aware he had a big ego. Enlighten me, because people I've spoke to say he comes across as a very humble, down to earth guy and all the interviews I've watched of him seem to indicate that is the case
No need to enlighten you. A man with 464748 different projects where he is almost always at the top of the creative process, that partakes in projects like Ayreon but controls his own input. He may sound extremely humble and maybe he is, but it's clear he has a big musical ego, to give it an inaccurate yet descriptive name. He and I would clash in a group. And that was the question in this thread. I'm just answering. Enlightment is for those who own the light.
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 08:55

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

No need to enlighten you. A man with 464748 different projects where he is almost always at the top of the creative process, that partakes in projects like Ayreon but controls his own input. He may sound extremely humble and maybe he is, but it's clear he has a big musical ego, to give it an inaccurate yet descriptive name. He and I would clash in a group. And that was the question in this thread. I'm just answering. Enlightment is for those who own the light.

Musical ego? What a nasty way of saying "vision".
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 16:43
Production. Easily.

@T: As a person, he is indeed incredibly humble and out-going (having seen the man perform live). If he's a "musical egoist" however, that would not surprise me. I would suggest watching some interviews of the man because I totally agree with Henry based on that account. Here's a 2-part one where he talks about Ki and overcoming his addictions.

Edited by birdwithteeth11 - February 24 2010 at 16:44
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I'd put him in charge of bringing coffee to the studio each morning.
LOL

Agreed - not because I feel that he is any way inadequate as a musician, composer or producer, but just to see the look on his face when I tell him he's passed the audition and he's got a crucial role to play in the new line up...
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 16:59
Was Lucasson unhappy with Devin's contributions? I've not heard that other artists were unhappy when he collaborated with or produced for them - and he's done it alot.

In terms of ego, I think he knows he's very talented and also knows there are lots of artists out there equal or better than him in this or that area. Seems pretty balanced to me. He was praising Vai as recently as the Addicted release press. Vai is another guy who does indeed have a huge ego but also a generous heart as a musician.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 20:47
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Was Lucasson unhappy with Devin's contributions? I've not heard that other artists were unhappy when he collaborated with or produced for them - and he's done it alot.

In terms of ego, I think he knows he's very talented and also knows there are lots of artists out there equal or better than him in this or that area. Seems pretty balanced to me. He was praising Vai as recently as the Addicted release press. Vai is another guy who does indeed have a huge ego but also a generous heart as a musician.

Exactly. Smile
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 20:51
Vocals. But every song has to be sung like "Earth Day" was
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:21
Vocals.  His voice is the reason why Sex And Religion is my favorite Steve Vai album.

Many of his solo albums (Devin's) have great vocals.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12