Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High Voltage Festival,Victoria Park, London July10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHigh Voltage Festival,Victoria Park, London July10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 03:07
Let's go for the remaining Beatles to reunite while we're at it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 07:23
Originally posted by The Runaway The Runaway wrote:

I think they'll have Gong. Maybe a Genesis/GG reunion, hopefully. Roger Waters, I believe! Porcupine Tree, no doubt, probably DT too. Maybe Oceansize, I think Phideaux? I'm sure Hawkwind will do something! Them Crooked Vultures? Maybe Yes? I'm 70% they'll come! Keith Emerson at the Eagle Vision cinema, I hope.

In the end, we'll just have to wait and see Smile

If all that happened then the tickets would fly out the door.

Realistically I reckon Deep Purple are not so big now that they might be persuaded to close the festival. Porcupine Tree would be fantastic as well .Not sure if they are a bit to big for the prog stage though.

Prog stage would love:
Magenta
IQ
Jan Akkerman
Argent (again!)
Neal Morse

..pretty pleaseBig smile

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 06:34
I would like to see Transatlantic back again (didn't get to see them this time). Also, we need to see Tinyfish there!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 06:53
^^ Agreed. With a couple of albums under their belt, some fairly big gigs, a very high quality DVD etc, Tinyfish are certainly sufficient in stature to open on the prog stage.

I'd like to see Porcupine Tree on the bill too, maybe VDGG. I reckon Rush or King Crimson should headline the main stage!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 06:59
Rush, that would be good (although I have seen them a few times already). I'd like to see Mastodon, but which stage would they put them on?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 07:02
I dont think I've heard any Mastadon. Do you think they would be as appropriate for the Metal Hammer stage as Opeth were? I think the organisors got the choice of stage right for Opeth.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 07:05
I think they got Opeth right, they were too heavy for the prog stage. Same for Mastodon I reckon.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 14:14

Another really interesting one for me would be The Mars Volta.Any chance??!

Rush no chance.The tickets were set at a maximum of 30,000 per day apparently (although there is a suggestion that the police would only allow 25,000) so the potential demand would far outstrip the actual tickets available. The festival has to be pitched at the right level assuming its stays at Victoria Park.

raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 03:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Another really interesting one for me would be The Mars Volta.Any chance??!

Rush no chance.The tickets were set at a maximum of 30,000 per day apparently (although there is a suggestion that the police would only allow 25,000) so the potential demand would far outstrip the actual tickets available. The festival has to be pitched at the right level assuming its stays at Victoria Park.

Disagree! they far from sold out their last UK tour!!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 06:04
My hopes if there is a High Voltage 2011:

Jethro Tull
Hawkwind
Touchstone (having missed them this year)
Porcupine Tree
Arthur Brown and Kingdom Come. Okay a long shot and I'm not sure how many of them are still alive apart from Arthur but it would be great.
Deep Purple
The original King Crimson. Why the heck not, they're all still around, it's where prog started after all and Greg Lake's voice sounded the best it has in years in ELP's set. Pete Sinfield could come along and do some 'lllumination'.

Another idea - how about another smaller Prog stage for acts who might not be such a big draw but would still interest proggers: bands like Circulus, Gryphon and Comus come to mind.

Does anyone know what the attendance was for this year's event? I went on the Sunday and it looked reasonably busy though not heaving. If the capacity was 30,000 I would have guessed at around 20,000 punters.

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 15:46
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

My hopes if there is a High Voltage 2011:

Jethro Tull
Hawkwind
Touchstone (having missed them this year)
Porcupine Tree
Arthur Brown and Kingdom Come. Okay a long shot and I'm not sure how many of them are still alive apart from Arthur but it would be great.
Deep Purple
The original King Crimson. Why the heck not, they're all still around, it's where prog started after all and Greg Lake's voice sounded the best it has in years in ELP's set. Pete Sinfield could come along and do some 'lllumination'.

Another idea - how about another smaller Prog stage for acts who might not be such a big draw but would still interest proggers: bands like Circulus, Gryphon and Comus come to mind.

Does anyone know what the attendance was for this year's event? I went on the Sunday and it looked reasonably busy though not heaving. If the capacity was 30,000 I would have guessed at around 20,000 punters.

''The orginal KIng Crimson'' is a great shout although Fripp and Lake on the same stage at the same time is a long shot! Lake with Emerson and Palmer was hard enough as it wasBig smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 15:49

20,000 was my guess as well. Someone on the High Voltage message board (not anyone official) said that the attendance was 17,000 approx on the Sunday.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 22:38

My hopes if there is a High Voltage 2011:Jethro TullHawkwindTouchstone (having missed them this year)Porcupine TreeArthur Brown and Kingdom Come. Okay a long shot and I'm not sure how many of them are still alive apart from Arthur but it would be great.Deep PurpleThe original King Crimson. Why the heck not, they're all still around, it's where prog started after all and Greg Lake's voice sounded the best it has in years in ELP's set. Pete Sinfield could come along and do some 'lllumination'.Another idea - how about another smaller Prog stage for acts who might not be such a big draw but would still interest proggers: bands like Circulus, Gryphon and Comus come to mind.Does anyone know what the attendance was for this year's event? I went on the Sunday and it looked reasonably busy though not heaving. If the capacity was 30,000 I would have guessed at around 20,000 punters.

''The orginal KIng Crimson'' is a great shout although Fripp and Lake on the same stage at the same time is a long shot! Lake with Emerson and Palmer was hard enough as it wasBig smile

I'm not sure I would like to hear Lake singing with King Crimson now, he beautiful voice he used to have on "Court" and "Wake" are compeltley gone... I can't imagine him trying to sing "Epitaph" now.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 01:56
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

My hopes if there is a High Voltage 2011:Jethro TullHawkwindTouchstone (having missed them this year)Porcupine TreeArthur Brown and Kingdom Come. Okay a long shot and I'm not sure how many of them are still alive apart from Arthur but it would be great.Deep PurpleThe original King Crimson. Why the heck not, they're all still around, it's where prog started after all and Greg Lake's voice sounded the best it has in years in ELP's set. Pete Sinfield could come along and do some 'lllumination'.Another idea - how about another smaller Prog stage for acts who might not be such a big draw but would still interest proggers: bands like Circulus, Gryphon and Comus come to mind.Does anyone know what the attendance was for this year's event? I went on the Sunday and it looked reasonably busy though not heaving. If the capacity was 30,000 I would have guessed at around 20,000 punters.

I'm not sure I would like to hear Lake singing with King Crimson now, he beautiful voice he used to have on "Court" and "Wake" are compeltley gone... I can't imagine him trying to sing "Epitaph" now.

perhaps right although IF Fripp was to put a band together specifically to play the debut King Crimson album who would you prefer to sing lead vocal?
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 03:30

perhaps right although IF Fripp was to put a band together specifically to play the debut King Crimson album who would you prefer to sing lead vocal?

I thought Lake's voice sounded pretty good most of the time at High Voltage. I haven't listened to the CD of the ELP set but from the audience he seemed more than serviceable on The Great Gates of Kiev and From the Beginning. I wasn't wincing in pain or embarrassment anyway!

It would be amazing if the original KC could perform though I can well imagine Mr Fripp might be a fly in the ointment. He'll probably want his wife Toyah to sing.

"Twenty firtht thentury thchizoid man"

The horror, the horror.LOL

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 05:50

"Twenty firtht thentury thchizoid man"

LOL
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 06:01

Not to labour the point, but...

"Sthtarleththth & Bible Black..."

etc etc

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 16:19
Unhappy
some of us can remember her version of I Believe in Father Christmas Ouch
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 22:44

''The orginal KIng Crimson'' is a great shout although Fripp
and Lake on the same stage at the same time is a long shot! Lake with
Emerson and Palmer was hard enough as it wasBig smile
I'm
not sure I would like to hear Lake singing with King Crimson now, he
beautiful voice he used to have on "Court" and "Wake" are compeltley
gone... I can't imagine him trying to sing "Epitaph" now.

perhaps right although IF Fripp was to put a band together
specifically to play the debut King Crimson album who would you prefer
to sing lead vocal?
I thought Lake's voice sounded pretty good most of the time at High Voltage. I haven't listened to the CD of the ELP set but from the audience he seemed more than serviceable on The Great Gates of Kiev and From the Beginning. I wasn't wincing in pain or embarrassment anyway!It would be amazing if the original KC could perform though I can well imagine Mr Fripp might be a fly in the ointment. He'll probably want his wife Toyah to sing."Twenty firtht thentury thchizoid man"The horror, the horror.LOL

I didn't really mean Lake couldn't sing well anymore, for what little I've heard he still has a very good voice... it's just that it changed so much compared to the really beautifull voice he used to have, that it would be as if it wasn't the same singer anyway. I think perhaps John Wetton would do a better job performing those songs this days (and I strongly disliked his voice in 70's Crimson, but he did a rather good job singing "Court of the Crimson King" with Asia - even if the rest of the singing on that live album was rather crappy).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910