2 [40.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Complete Systems Theory
    Posted: February 27 2010 at 13:02
SYSTEMS THEORY - This group will no longer release more music under this name, since the passing away of Greg Amov last year in November. The two remaining members, Steven Davies-Morris and Mike Dickson, will continue this project together as Steven announced on PE. They have released two wonderful pieces of psychedelic, instrumental eclectic music, with lots of effects and achieving stunning melodies and atmospheres.

This is a description from their website: "cinematic ambient spacerock world fusion"
http://www.systemstheory.net/

Their music is available for free download, at http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/

I encourage you to visit Mike Dickson's website to download System's Theory's music for free as well as his music and also Greg Amov's three albums available there. You can donate by paypal there if you wish so:
http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/

Here's Olav's bio:
Multinational project SYSTEMS THEORY came to be in 1997, but with an extensive prehistory spanning several decades.

The foundation for what eventually came to be Systems Theory goes all the way back to 1977, when then student Greg Amov was instroduced to fellow student Steven Davies-Morris. The two of them hit it off at once, and a long lasting relationship started there and then.

They were both or individually members of various acts in the late 70's, but none of these projects lasted for a long time. Then in 1984 the duo started contemplating a joint collaborative project; and at this point in the name Systems Theory first saw the light of day; a reference to the interest in computers that both of them would pursue professionally. But in 1985 Steven decided that other aspects of his life had a higher importance than the melodic arts; and took what turned out to be an extended hiatus as a musician and composer.

Come 1997 and Steven discovers the joys of software as a tool for music creation. He contacts Greg, and Systems Theory is revived, this time as a creative unit and not just a creative idea. In 1999 UK-based musician Mike Dickson hooks up with the US duo; at first in a minor role but pretty soon he becomes a full-fledged member of the outfit.

Thanks to the internet they were able to collaborate in an effective manner despite not being able to meet in person on a regular basis; and they made quite a few compositions over the next few years.

In 2004 they felt it was high time to make an official CD of their output; which resulted in the album Soundtracks for Imaginary Movies.

Three years later, and some time after they had scheduled it themselves, their sophomore effort Codetalkers was ready. In addition to the physical album they also decided to try out a different approach for the sale of this production - they made the entire CD (including artwork) freely downloadble on the net; and asked the people downloading it to donate whatever amount they felt the album deserved. This offer still stands; and although one hardly can claim that they've had the same success as more highly profiled acts like Radiohead with this stunt; Systems Theory has gotten quite a lot of attention for this still somewhat innovative way of distributing their music.

A third album was originally planned for release at the end of 2008; but has now been postponed to the second half of 2009. When finished, the disc will bear the name Overfulnoisecascade.

4.00 | 1 ratings
Soundtracks for Imaginary Movies

4.00 | 1 ratings
Codetalkers
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 07:54
no takers?

It's free music

download here:
http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 08:06
I will gladly download both albums, Assaf - since I followed the sad story of Greg's illness and death on ProgEars. He was one year older than me, and died a few days before his 50th birthday. It was one of those things that affected me deeply, even if I didn't know either the guy or his band. 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 21:17
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I will gladly download both albums, Assaf - since I followed the sad story of Greg's illness and death on ProgEars. He was one year older than me, and died a few days before his 50th birthday. It was one of those things that affected me deeply, even if I didn't know either the guy or his band. 

yes it was disheartening to read it, so I can only imagine what it was to live through it for his family and friends.

As a bump, let me remind the readers of this thread that the music is free, look for the link above.

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 22:54
I just downloaded the music, very sad to hear about his illness/death.  Cry  I'll be sure to let you know which of these two I prefer, and I'm going to check out the demos and his three solo albums available.  
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 17:07
Had a listen? Smile
sdavmor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 18:57
Hi guys, I've been away from music for a long time.  I am back after a lengthy silence (an album title I am sure -- by French TV) and am working on finishing the mastering for two projects that were on hold.  (1) Is Systems Theory's third official album "overfulnoisecascade" that has been almost ready for release for two years, and (2) is the second Cyndee Lee Rule CD.  Which has also been just about done for two years.

In the aftermath of Greg Amov's death an attempt was made to assemble a new band.  But tragedy struck again after a few new tunes were written.  Greg's replacement, a fine Gilmour-ish guitarist friend of mine (and fellow Brit), Philip Lynch committed suicide the day after his 47th birthday.  Something nobody close to him saw coming.  Needless to say we were completely floored as a band, his family crushed, and I was 'punched out' so to speak.  It's taken six months for me to even be able to think about creating music, but eventually one must do what one must do.

So...there will be at least the third System Theory release -- the cover of which can be seen at the official project Website.  And maybe a fourth that would encompass some older shelved tunes and those that were in progress when Greg became ill.  Anything beyond that will be either a new music project, or released under my own name. More on that in 2011.

In the meantime, please continue to download the free Systems Theory albums and both Greg and Mike's solo albums.  All of which can be had at over at Mike's website.

Edited by sdavmor - October 19 2010 at 18:58
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man
www.systemstheory.net internet music project
www.soundclick.com/systemstheory
www.cdbaby.com/systemstheory
Buy "Soundtracks For Imaginary Movies" online
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 19:08
Very sad to hear about this. I never really listened to the music before, but now I just might. It's always cool to hear music from a fellow music act with the word 'theory' in the title. Wink
sdavmor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 19:14
The new PRC forum sampler will have a Systems Theory tune on it.  What tune is yet be decided.  They want to use "Green Miata Baja Bound" from "SFIM", while I am pushing for them to use an unreleased tune called "Pillar Of Salt" that was finished in early 2009. The first PRC  sampler from (2005 IIRC) closed with a version of "Red Sun Fading", which also closed our second CD "Codetalkers".
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 22:02
I'm listening to Soundtracks now, and I'm hoping to listen to Codetalkers sometime tomorrow. 
sdavmor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 14:55
There is some news of the Systems Theory front.  Mike Dickson's new solo album is ready to go. "Basilica" is built around the music of the great Thomas Tallis. As always with Mike's solo projects it is a *free* download. However you can of course make a PayPal donation if you insist. Once again it's top-drawer stuff done with Mellotrons, a wide array of synths and samplers, and of course field-recordings. I urge you to indulge yourself and get "Basilica" today, and leave Mike a note on his guestbook.

O Fortuna
Stygian
Madeleine
Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Ab Sense
Seven Pieces by Thomas Tallis
FM1SM
Threnody

<http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/basilica/>
sdavmor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 02:45
Hello,

it's been a few months since I visited.  Here's an update for you.  There is movement with Systems Theory and related projects. I have been working with Mike Dickson to get the long-overdue "overfulnoisecascade" album finished.  We are also evaluating all the remaining Systems Theory material because there is a lot more material in the can than will fit onto "overfulnoisecascade" as it was planned before Greg Amov's death.

One of two things will happen.  Either "overfulnoisecascade" will be released as a 75+ minute single CD, or two discs will be released of approximately one hour each, allowing us to put out all the remaining quality Systems Theory tunes (other than revisiting old demos and alternate versions of tunes which is a separate project). Actually there is a third possibility.  Mike and I could complete a few pieces that I have earmarked for elsewhere, and release two separate 75+ min CDs to close the book on Systems Theory.

Regardless of how we chose to do it, the final mixing process is underway, and several tunes are reaching the put-to-bed stage. If you'd like to hear some of the in-progress mixes, you can go here

http://soundcloud.com/systemstheory/sets/overfulnoisecascade/

Currently offered for a first listen are "All Night Bender", "Lost Nation Dreamtime" and "In The Platinum Room".
sdavmor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 12:41
My long-time Systems Theory colleague Mike Dickson has just released "mellotronworks vol 2". I haven't heard it yet (will do that tonight) but if it is anywhere close to being as fabulous as "mellotronworks" from three years ago it will be killer. As with "mellotronworks" almost all the sounds on the album were made on real Mellotrons, in this case his M400 and his Mk V. Run, don't walk, over to his website and download it for free (all Mike's music is zero-cost, though if you like what you hear, you are always welcome to make a paypal donation).

Track listing:
Fanfare for the Common Man (Copland)
Fratres (Pärt)
Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten (Pärt)
Spiegel Im Spiegel (Pärt)
Dance of the Knights (Prokofiev)
Fantasia on Greensleeves (Vaughan-Williams)
Jerusalem (Parry)
Pomp and Circumstance (March No 1) (Elgar)
Pavane (Faure)
Symphony No. 3 (Saint-Saëns)
Ode to Joy (Beethoven)
Bolero (Ravel)

http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/mellotronworks%20II/index.html

A BIN file CD image is available along with individual FLAC and 320kpbs MP3s.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 22:27
I've had both for some time now and enjoy them a lot. I've also got the Greg Amov solo albums. Wonderful stuff & Steve is a sweetheart.
sdavmor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 23:33
I suggest grabbing all of Mike Dickson's solo albums from his website (free).  Anyone who is a fan of Mellotron should at the very least have "mellotronworks" and "mellotronworks II".
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 06:09
Hi Steve!!
 Post Reply Post Reply