Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBill Bruford and Ringo Starr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bill Bruford and Ringo Starr
    Posted: February 27 2010 at 17:30
I don't where this thread should be, be I'll let the mods decide this.

Everytime I listen to ABWH's debut album track Order of the Universe and when it comes to Bill's little snipet solo, I just can't help but notice an uncanny resemblence to Ringo's little solo on The End despite the electronic smothering.

Listen yourself, was Bill doing a little homage? Bill has a rather quirky sense of humor that he would keep very vague that I noticed when I went to one of his drum clinics. I should've asked him about this!
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 18:34
JLocke did a response as per email, but for some reason it's not showing up.

"Was it an homage, or a jab? I'm unfamiliar with Bill's opinion on Ringo. Does he respect him?"

I wouldn't think of it as a jab. So far, almost ALL rock drummers, prog or not, have had nothing but the upmost respect for Ringo despite his lack of technical ability. Here he was doing some of the most innovative works for a drummer at the time like on songs Rain, She Said She Said, A Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields etc
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 18:44
Ringo, just like Keith Moon, deserves a lot of respect. 
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 18:56
Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

"Was it an homage, or a jab? I'm unfamiliar with Bill's opinion on Ringo. Does he respect him?"

I wouldn't think of it as a jab. So far, almost ALL rock drummers, prog or not, have had nothing but the upmost respect for Ringo despite his lack of technical ability. Here he was doing some of the most innovative works for a drummer at the time like on songs Rain, She Said She Said, A Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields etc

It isn't showing up because I deleted it. I deleted it for a reason. I would rather not have my posts quoted after I make such a decision. Wink

I deleted my post because I knew as soon as I posted it that was I was saying wasn't a very good point, so I didn't think it was worth talking about. For all the same reasons you just gave.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 19:05
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

It isn't showing up because I deleted it. I deleted it for a reason. I would rather not have my posts quoted after I make such a decision. Wink
I deleted my post because I knew as soon as I posted it that was I was saying wasn't a very good point, so I didn't think it was worth talking about. For all the same reasons you just gave.

It's cool, Locke, you didn't insult me and I'm sure you didn't insult Ringo. In fact, you raised a very good question.
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 19:08
funny, these two together in a topic. In a hardaysnight ringo felt unnappreciated.
I saw bruford in a drum clinic in sd 20 years ago. He took questions. I raised my hand. he said "In the back"

I ask him how do i play a drum roll with a smooth attack as opposed to a left right left right accent?
he told me to accent the accent  on the opposite side.
Swear to god. In person. Bill BrufordClap

assume the power 1586/14.3
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 19:18
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

funny, these two together in a topic. In a hardaysnight ringo felt unnappreciated.
I saw bruford in a drum clinic in sd 20 years ago. He took questions. I raised my hand. he said "In the back"

I ask him how do i play a drum roll with a smooth attack as opposed to a left right left right accent?

he told me to accent the accent  on the opposite side.

Swear to god. In person. Bill BrufordClap

You must've saw him when he was just getting Earthworks going. I saw him around 2002-2003 in Columbus OH.

Interesting about the accents. Because Ringo would do just that. Because of his approach of leading with the left hand (he was actually left-handed) on his fills as opposed to the right, he would "flam" the accents with both hands instead of like, rimshotting with one. That's what made Ringo so unique.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 19:25

Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

It's cool, Locke, you didn't insult me and I'm sure you didn't insult Ringo. In fact, you raised a very good question.

LOL Okay, then.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 03:08
He's always been my least favorite Beatle... Tongue
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 16:38
Is it a joke? Not that I don't like Beatles, but it's like comparing Roger Waters with Jaco Pastorius.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 03:47
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Is it a joke? Not that I don't like Beatles, but it's like comparing Roger Waters with Jaco Pastorius.

Interesting thought, but would Jaco have done that lovely understated approach that allowed Floyd to extend musical perforamnce? After all Guy Pratt got a lot of flak for his more pyrotechnical approach on the Momentary Lapse tour.

Granted Jaco is / was so technically gifted (Come On Come Over is such a blast for example) but Waters' talents were clearly in composition of expansive theatrical pieces. Sorry going OT there all but just had to interject. I gather you mean comparing bass players; I think Water acknowledged this with having bassists on his Radio Kaos album for a more contemporary sound.

Post Reply Post Reply