FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJaga Jazzist - Amsterdam Melkweg 27th Feb 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jaga Jazzist - Amsterdam Melkweg 27th Feb 2010
    Posted: February 28 2010 at 05:49
Yesterday evening I saw Jaga Jazzist playing at the Melkweg in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. 
It was a wonderful gig, absolutely wonderful. Clap

The venue wasn't the best I've ever been. The "old hall" in which they played didn't had seats or lots of space, but on the other hand it was nice and "cosy". The hall was full of people. I don't exactly know how many people there were, but the amount of people was much bigger than I expected. The gig started at 21:00, but when a friend of mine and I arrived slightly late, the band hadn't even started and there were lots of people waiting outside to get in. 

Anyway, when we got in and the band finally started tom play, the waiting outside really was worth it. The band opened by playing several pieces from the new album (One-Armed Bandit) in a slightly unusual order. If I remember correctly, they played "Book Of Glass" first, then continued with "One-Armed Bandit", which was much more powerful than the studio version and really made me shiver during the epic reprise of the main theme. They played "Bananfluer Overalt" next, followed by "Toccata" and "220 V/Spektral". After this series of pieces from the One-Armed Bandit album, the band played several pieces from their previous releases and the remaining songs from the new album. As I'm not very familiar with their older material (yet), I didn't recognize most of that music, but I did recognize "Day", "All I Know Is Tonight" and "Oslo Skyline", which was announced as "Amsterdam Skyline". The band played all the music with an incredible lot of power.

The band was very passionate on stage and it wasn't hard to see that they really were enjoying playing. The audience was very excited too, or at least most of the audience. I was incredibly annoyed by several people that were standing behind me and were constantly talking. As the sound wasn't very loud (which I was happy about, as I didn't need earbuds to prevent hearing damage) the talking of the people could be clearly heard during softer parts in the music. I still don't get why you'd want to visit a gig if you're constantly talking anyway. Even though this annoyed me a bit, I still really have enjoyed the amazing performance by the band.

In the end this really was an amazing performance. The band really proved what a great group of musicians they are. Clap
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 06:02
Great, I can't wait to see them! (March, 4) Star
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 08:16
^
yes, me too ! Big smile

Hopefully the french audience will be quieter...Well, it was during Ulver, and given that ulver fans are metalheads, we can expect a dead silence during jaga jazzist LOL...
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 15:01
Originally posted by floydispink floydispink wrote:

Yesterday evening I saw Jaga Jazzist playing at the Melkweg in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. 
It was a wonderful gig, absolutely wonderful. Clap

The venue wasn't the best I've ever been. The "old hall" in which they played didn't had seats or lots of space, but on the other hand it was nice and "cosy". The hall was full of people. I don't exactly know how many people there were, but the amount of people was much bigger than I expected. The gig started at 21:00, but when a friend of mine and I arrived slightly late, the band hadn't even started and there were lots of people waiting outside to get in. 

Anyway, when we got in and the band finally started tom play, the waiting outside really was worth it. The band opened by playing several pieces from the new album (One-Armed Bandit) in a slightly unusual order. If I remember correctly, they played "Book Of Glass" first, then continued with "One-Armed Bandit", which was much more powerful than the studio version and really made me shiver during the epic reprise of the main theme. They played "Bananfluer Overalt" next, followed by "Toccata" and "220 V/Spektral". After this series of pieces from the One-Armed Bandit album, the band played several pieces from their previous releases and the remaining songs from the new album. As I'm not very familiar with their older material (yet), I didn't recognize most of that music, but I did recognize "Day", "All I Know Is Tonight" and "Oslo Skyline", which was announced as "Amsterdam Skyline". The band played all the music with an incredible lot of power.

The band was very passionate on stage and it wasn't hard to see that they really were enjoying playing. The audience was very excited too, or at least most of the audience. I was incredibly annoyed by several people that were standing behind me and were constantly talking. As the sound wasn't very loud (which I was happy about, as I didn't need earbuds to prevent hearing damage) the talking of the people could be clearly heard during softer parts in the music. I still don't get why you'd want to visit a gig if you're constantly talking anyway. Even though this annoyed me a bit, I still really have enjoyed the amazing performance by the band.

In the end this really was an amazing performance. The band really proved what a great group of musicians they are. Clap
I got their new album just a few weeks ago, but I like it. It will be interesting to hear them live, but unhappily their tour is far from me this year in all possible places I can visit.

I spent 2 yrs in Amsterdam in the beginning of this decade and I love this town! I can imagine there is a good place for such concert!
 Post Reply Post Reply